Default explorers junior FF'S

What exactly are xploreers and junior firefighter are they a pert of th fd or what also how is there an age regulation.I just want some insight on what they are so I can see if they have something like that in my town and possibly join my like-long dream is to become a firefighter I'm 15 years old and my dad is a firefighter I even have a scanner and scan the call i have gone to call that are about a half mile to a mile away on my bike in the rainor gone to calls in the middle of the night. I have grown up around the fd in my town and really want to
    become a firefighter as soon as I can. Any info would be greatly appreciated
    LADIES LOVE ME.
    FLAMES FEAR ME.

"I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THIS FLAG, IF THAT BOTHERS YOU WELL THATS TOO BAD!" AARON TIPPIN

If you wish to burn our flag please remember to wrap yourself in it first!!!

ALL SOUTHERNERS ARE EXEMPT FROM ANY AND ALL OF MY YANKEE COMMENTS ON ANY AND ALL FORUMS.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

As seeing that I'm not a Explorer I can't speak for their rules and regs and stuff.

Though as a Junior FF, I can tell you that we are an actual part of our department, as Junior Members. It's for people aged 16-18 (in my department anyway--when you turn 18, u apply for regular membership, then go to the academy and such). As of now in my department we can respond to calls that are between 7 am and 10 pm. We're stressed that School and Family come before the Fire Dept as a Junior. We're not allowed to ride trucks to Mutual Aid calls (unless its a standby at our firehouse) and Haz Mat calls (unless the OIC says they want us there which is unlikely), other wise for other calls its Officer's descretion to let us on If there is room. Like for example though, during the summer during the mornings, early afternoons, we have a real shortage of manpower, so we're usually told to get on 1st out. I hope that helps you a bit, good luck.

Hey it's me again another question that I have is "Are the explorers part of the Boy Scouts of America?"
    LADIES LOVE ME.
    FLAMES FEAR ME.

"I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THIS FLAG, IF THAT BOTHERS YOU WELL THATS TOO BAD!" AARON TIPPIN

If you wish to burn our flag please remember to wrap yourself in it first!!!

ALL SOUTHERNERS ARE EXEMPT FROM ANY AND ALL OF MY YANKEE COMMENTS ON ANY AND ALL FORUMS.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

Forum Member

I dont know too much about the explorers but yes they are apart of the boy scouts. In my dept. the age limit for juniors is 14-18, and ofcourse when yiu turn 18 you become a senior ff. We can respond on most calls but cannot make entry on fires. Hope that helps.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Forum Member

Well it all depends on the department that you join. In some FD's yes explorers are part of BSA some FD's explorers are not part of BSA.

As a JR. on my dept. I was allowed to do anything except enter a working fire. HOWEVER, by the time i was 18 I had already been on the hose team for 4 interior atacks. There were no "child labor laws" or rules that prevented me from responding to calls at certan times of the day. I could go when ever there was a call and if I got on the truck first the seat was mine. The other thing that was nice about my dept. was that as a JR I got to run liights on my vehicle (dont worry I didnt go over board, just a dual dash strobe and hide-a-ways), but only AFTER i had EVOC. I was the only JR on my dept, and I was treated as one of the "real" fire fighters. INFACT, my first year on the dept, I was # 2 on the list for most number of hours put in on calls. Out of the 327 calls we had I was there for 314 of them. The main reasoning be hind that is because I lived abou 1/2 mile away from the fire house so by the time my pager was done talking I was almost there.

"The funny thing about fire fighters,.... day or night they are always fire fighters.

As a JR. on my dept. I was allowed to do anything except enter a working fire. HOWEVER, by the time i was 18 I had already been on the hose team for 4 interior atacks. There were no "child labor laws" or rules that prevented me from responding to calls at certan times of the day. I could go when ever there was a call and if I got on the truck first the seat was mine. The other thing that was nice about my dept. was that as a JR I got to run liights on my vehicle (dont worry I didnt go over board, just a dual dash strobe and hide-a-ways), but only AFTER i had EVOC. I was the only JR on my dept, and I was treated as one of the "real" fire fighters. INFACT, my first year on the dept, I was # 2 on the list for most number of hours put in on calls. Out of the 327 calls we had I was there for 314 of them. The main reasoning be hind that is because I lived abou 1/2 mile away from the fire house so by the time my pager was done talking I was almost there.
    "The funny thing about fire fighters,.... day or night they are always fire fighters.

Bill-
    FF/Career/EMT-Paramedic

Thread Information