Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default LIghtning Strike Calls

Hi. Has anybody gone to any calls for lightning striking a..............(whatever)? My dad is a Captain on Truck 1 in New Haven, CT and he went out on a call today for lighting striking a house! The thing is when they areived on scene, the foundation was cracked and destroyed and one whole side of the house was completely blown away!?!

Forum Member

Almost every storm we get a call for a structure fire caused by lightning. It is very common considering the total number of strikes during a single storm. I have had lightning strike 15 feet away from me and put me out for about 30 minutes. I couldn't hear or see anything. All I remember is a bright red flash, never heard the "boom".

When we get bad storms, mostly the lightning makes the power surge and we get called out on BS alarm activations, sometimes we get transformer fires or tree fires.

I haven't responded to any calls that a structure was struck by lighting, not yet anyway (knock on wood).

Dude...SWEEEEEEETTT!!! The house got partially blown away. That would have been something to see. I know I sound stupid when I say something like that. I mean I don't like it when bad things happen to good people but that still would have been pretty sweet to see.

We've had lighting hit our storm sirens and set them off one day and scared the living daylights out of people... Couldn't get the dumb things turned off and had one guy fall off of a ladder trying.

We've also had lightning hit our 911 Com Center and knock out the the phone and dispatch system there... That turned out to be interesting because the trailer was set up and all of the emergency Fire and Rescue calls were transferred to the Fire house where the cadets answered and got the info... Then we turned around to the keypad, dropped our tones, and dispatched like a normal dispatcher would...

My all time favorite to hear about was from my friend Andrew on here, he's in NJ... He told me about the time he went to the report of Squirrel hit by Lightning bolt... Funniest thing I've ever heard...
    Adam Spencer
    Cadet Firefighter/First Responder
    Nixa Fire District
    Nixa MO 65714

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

The one call I was on a while ago a house down the street from me was hit by lightning...blew the chimney clear off the roof into the street...was interesting to see... other than that like said before...nothin really except power surges that set off BS fire alarms... I can see they are all out today on here.....
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

We have many lighting type calls in our district during the year. Just the other day we had quite a storm, transformer hit by lightning, and a possible st. fire, house hit by lightning, ended up being the lightning hit the service line at the house and was about to fall off. Our school district office got hit by lighting a couple weeks ago, skined the chimney of its bricks!
    -Stay Safe

That's preety cool stories guys. And I agree with Adam Spencer, it's not good that a person house got partially BLOWN AWAY but you got to agree with me on this one, it's cool to see that kind of incident!

I've seen a few houses hit by lighting and are then on fire but we had one the blew a brick across the street and went throught the other houes wall it was really kinda cool . But on the flip side i've seen lighting burn up a whole house so it can do bad and funny things.
    Oh yeah and in our last really bad storm we were going to a lighting strike from another seen when we ran the truck in to the squad and riped the door off so lighting sucks.

well be safe

Thread Information