Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default What gear do u have?

I was wondering what type of gear ppl have in there car besides their turn-out gear... (flashlights, flares, extinquishers)?
    Thank you FDNY, you will never be forgotten

I dun have my turnout gear in my car, yet. Though I have a small first-aid kit, a standard $5.00 flashlight, and I had a 10 lb. ABC Dry Chem Extinguisher, but I took it out at work, and I haven't put it back in yet.

Forum Member

I have 10, 30 minute flares, 2 flashlights, and 2, 10ib ABC extinguishers.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

EatHeat1
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have a frist aid kit and a 10lb ABC dry chem extinguisher.

A Firefighters job is never done!

3 10pound ABC dry chem, 60 30min. flares w/ spikes. K-12 w/ concrtre blade, a Medical Pak with Oxygen, Respitory System, ect. A 16lb Spiked Axe.
    Explorer
    Ladder 111
    Rescue 5
    Squad 288

Well hehe since i dont have a car... But my dad is a FF he has a flashlight, 30-min flares, traffic wand, raincoat, traffic vest, and 4 big traffic cones.
    Rob Emerson
    Treasurer
    Holley Fire Dept.
    Explorer Post 119
    Holley, NY

FF513 i gotta know how come you have a k-12 in your car? is it also for your job?

No one in our department carries many supplies with them. But my Dad is the chief, so he has his gear, a flashlight, some rubber gloves, oxybgen, and a tool box. he used to have rope when he was assistant chief, but got rid of it when we got the chief`s car.

If you carry personnel protective equipment in your care you need to realize that it is being severely damaged by UV (ultraviolet) rays. This has a tremendous impact on the degradation of the fabric. Make sure it is in a bag and make sure you keep in in your trunk. Do not just let it lay on your seat.

Also....remember...NFPA1851 says that it has to be cleaned after each use. If you go on a fire or you train and it involves smoke or possibly bloodborne pathogens what ever is on the gear gets on or in your car. That includes all the hydrocarbons and carcinogens. Take care of your gear and it will take care of you!

Be Safe..
    Stan
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Firefighter513:
    3 10pound ABC dry chem, 60 30min. flares w/ spikes. K-12 w/ concrtre blade, a Medical Pak with Oxygen, Respitory System, ect. A 16lb Spiked Axe.

You've got to be kidding....and you are only an Explorer? Geez..how much did u pay for that k-12..I saw one at wal-mart for $100..just kidding. Please reply and tell me that you are joking because I will lose sleep at night thinking that if I got in a wreck, an Explorer would pull up with a k-12 saw and cut my head off trying to get me out.

Cell phone,turnout gear(in a gear bag),flash light,first aid kit. Basically you shouldn't have to carry too much gear with you,only enough to protect yourself and to start an initial assessment of a patient if needed. Also include proper ppe if your going to do any patient care. Who carries a k-12 in their vehicle? that seems a bit odd,unless it's job related. Be carefull out there you don't want to get too involved in any rescue,or fire suppression while by yourself unless it's absolutely positively nesessary. Always wait for help to arrive hopefully it won't be too far away.

Forum Member

Well lets see, since you can't challenge the Natinoal Registry until you're 18, and you'd need to be licensed to administer drugs,
    I assume you know that o2 is a drug, and you're an EXPLORER (under 18 I assume). Than i surely hope you're joking! As far as my truck goes, 1 portable radio, 1 cell phone, a flashlight, and a box of gloves. And the only reason I got the gloves was because a wreck happened right in front of me once and I didn't have gloves. In fact, other than my registration plates (Maine State issued Firefighter) and no department plate one would never even know I'm a firefighter/EMT, and that's just the way I like it.

-Nick

Thread Information