Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default leaving work for calls?

I'm lucky enough to work at a gas station, where i pump gas. the fire station is a stones throw away. the owner of the gas station is a member at the dept, and he lets me go on calls as long as someone else is at the gas station. our chief also works for the owner of the gas station delivering fuel.

the first month and a half working there i didn't go on any calls cause i didn't know i could. now, between 11am-7pm, when i work i can go on calls.

anyone lucky enough to do this? whether ur allowed to leave work, or u live real close to the station?

bryan
    Round Hill Volunteer Fire Company- First in the Backcountry

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

I'm sorry but I wouldnt wanna leave work unless it was a LARGE VERY large incident thats gonna require at least 5-6 hours on scene time. Because I really wouldnt wanna lose money because I ran to a stupid BS Box alarm soo I dunno sure...some places in town let the firefighters leave for work. Also I feel I'm not that important on a scene where I should leave work or school and Im glad we cant leave because I'd rather much get an education and a nice sized pay check than pay for it in the long run with a tiny pay check and no brains....
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Forum Member

Round Hill, huh? Say hi to Toby for me.

Working for a member of your company or for another firefighter absolutely has its advantages ... just remember that the firehouse doesn't write you a paycheck. My advise it to consider only leaving for the bigger ones... that was you won't **** off your boss or loose a lot of cash.

- Turk II

I CAN leave work, but, well, I sort of work 25 miles/40 minutes from the station...
    There are three truths in life:

1. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
    2. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
    3. Two Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

i still get paid wether i'm at work or on a call. so, i'm not concerned about pay. the boss is the main driver at the station, and is happy when i'm with him on calls, so i'm not really ****ing him off.

bryan
    Round Hill Volunteer Fire Company- First in the Backcountry

GBordas
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hi fellas,
    I'm glad that there are still programs such as the Junior Firefighter Program. I support them completely.

I started out as a Junior Fireman quite a few years ago. Back then we were pretty much considered volunteers at that point if we were at a worker, but with few limitations. I can remember advancing big lines and even laddering buildings to take out a windows. We even did overhaul, pulling ceilings and walls.

As far as responding to calls, either while at work, at school, or at night made no difference. I think you have to decide really if you're going to Volunteer or not!. Not doing it only when it's convenient for you! I used to leave school and/or work for every working fire. It disturbs me to hear you guys say that you would only go to fires that strike a couple of alarms or greater. If every volunteer fireman thought that way then every fire would be of greater alarms by the time a company finally arrived to take action.

I fought my first structure fire when I was 15 yrs old. I was one of only a few who showed up for a fire in an residential dwelling. I was told to mask up and grab a tool. I went in on the line as the backup man. All laws aside, I did it because it needed to be done. I never worried about school or my job because hey, I was 15. The type of job I had could be handled by the other employees. For odd jobs, I could mow the rest of a yard after we took up from a fire! In school, what test could be missed that couldn't be made up after school or during a study hall?!

My advice is to let your employer know right off the bat that you are a volunteer fireman and that from time to time you will be REQUIRED to respond to emergencies. This is a lot better than just dropping what you're doing leaving your employer stranded as you race to the firehouse. I'm sure your boss will be a little leanient if you told him ahead of time.

To be able to respond to working fires you had to maintain a C+ average and could only respond if a working fire was reported by the first due units. EMS was a no go unless you were riding a tour with the full-time guys. I had the advantage of having the firehouse less than a block from my high school so pretty much for reported fires, I headed to the house and waited. I even got ride out with the first out engine or truck if I got there in time. The same went for work.

11 Years later I work in the city but I realised that people in small towns that have and support a volunteer fire companies and firemen understand, or should understand, the sacrifices and commitment of being a volunteer. Anytime of the day or night there was a working fire I would be there. For the 2 and a half years I was a junior FF (Age 15 -17-1/2) I went to just about every fire call unless I was out of town or something. I didn't care if I missed some work or some school. Hell, somedays I prayed for a fire just so I could get out of work or school.

Be good and stay safe.
    G

I work 15 minutes/3 towns away from my station, and due to company dress regulations I'm not allowed to carry my pager on me (though I can carry my cell phone, see how that makes sense), because of the long haul through a heavy traffic area -- I wouldn't respond to anycalls, even I could get notification, save if it was a worker and i got notification on my cell phone, ie the other cadet calls me and is like "man, we got a worker!" then I ask my boss, if we're not busy then they'd let me go. Though there are many times I've been late to work, or just called out because I was already at a call.
    9-11-01 FDNY 343 - Lest We Forget

For leaving work for calls...

Some of you only go on the "big" ones. That's great. Suppose when the tones go off it's only a small one...then gets big? Do you go then? Or do you only go when there's black smoke and not white? Or maybe only if the fires more than a mile from the station so you get to drive the big fire truck and blow the air horn longer...get real.
    Go anytime you can. If you can't get off work no problem, but don't just do it when you want to...that's not what this business is about. You're there to help all the time possible, not just when you "feel" like it.

If it's just when you feel like it, or you think the fire's big enough...join the rotary club.

At our station all Jr FF's must make atleast 35%of all calls. In most cases they show up for everyone if possible.
    Our Department Reg's will not allow them to go but being there watching what happens and taking that in is how some learn.
    Most employers in our community will not let them leave because they know what they are allowed to do but on multiple alarm calls they are allowed to leave for support and gathering of resources which is vital in ICS.
    Make sure you verify with your employer what is allowed and what isn't. When you find that out don't abuse it by leaving for little calls. Although some litle calls can turn large those should be handled with consideration to your empolyer first don't burn the bridges there because that can stay with you for a long time.

Thread Information