Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Senior HS students w/ pagers in school

Folks...
    This is ONLY for those who are SENIORS this year in high school and whome are VOLUNTEER firefighters. Im not paticularly intrested in EXPLORERS since you guys are on a leash held by BS (BOY SCOUTS).Does your administration allow you to carry your pager on you for notification of emergencies and if permitted can you respond, providing proper clearance?.

JM

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: TFDNY ]

Forum Member

This sounds like a question that would get more responses in the volunteer forum. To answer your question, no. Volunteer F/F's are not allowed to have their pagers or respond to calls during school. This a school policy, so it probably varies depending on where you are located. I personally agree with this policy because learning ALWAYS comes first. Anyways, fires aren't going to suddenly dissapear, as long as man is on this earth there will always be fires to fight.

I am a senior in HS (as of Monday ) and I am permitted to carry a pager and leave for calls with teacher permission (I am a suck up with a 3.8 so it's no big deal.) This year is also kind of unique for me, I am a co-op student so I leave at 11:15 everyday to go to work (helicopter technician...)
    There are three truths in life:

1. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
    2. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
    3. Two Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

Forum Member

Ok now I am a EXPLORER and discriminate against me if you want too, but me, I don't have to be a senior to be a fireman cause we join our department at 16 as a Fireman and out of the junior department. But anyways, we are allowed to carry pagers in school, explorer or volunteer, and if we are needed that is decided on before the rescue leaves the hall and if we are needed they come up and pick us up.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

And I would be an EXPLORER and a Sr. in High School. Well i'm allow to carry my pager and respond to calls if we are needed. but i can't just up and leave if there is a call that is big, we only go when they call and tell the school to let us go. See EXPLORERS can do stuff too

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

Oh stop whining explorers...He's only asking a simple question no need to get nasty with the kid, he only asked a simple question DO SENIORS WHOM ARE ACTUAL FIREFIGHTERS Get to leave, Didnt imply to explorers so no need for explorers to give him an attitude... Im an explorer too..I'm not getting nasty...am I nope.. because I really dont care if we get to leave or not because education is more important than my firefighting career while im still in school once im outta school and have a job and diploma well then I will worry about getting to calls then. He pretty much posted this in the wrong forum because if you are a senior and 18 your pretty much not a junior firefighter anymore

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: Engine58 ]
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Well since I'll be on a Senior a week from today (Wednesday), I can't carry my pager in school. Can't leave anyway (both school and dept. regs), and we're not allowed to carry pagers/cell phones in school anyway, so I have, and will continue to, leave my pager in my car. But I dunno what the scoop is when I become a regular member, though that'll be in April and I graduate in June, so I dunno.

btw Andrew, Is the SAFD Explorer page down or something?, it isn't working.

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: SFDAJL ]
    9-11-01 FDNY 343 - Lest We Forget

MembersZone Subscriber

When I was in high school, there was an EMS program. They offered the class and then you carried the pager and responded on calls with the local ambulance. But to answer your question, If your on a department, you can carry a pager and respond to calls. All the teachers knew that you may have to leave at any time and there was always an understanding.

I know of another school where the fire dept was so short of manpower, they went to the school and talked to the administration about getting this type of situation OKd. They ended up getting 5 or 6 high school students on the fire department. It seems that evrything is going quite well.

I am a senior in high school BUT am still a cadet for two more months until my eighteeth b-day. I carry my pager with me, but half the time it is turned off or on alert mode at very low volume so it will not disrupt anybody. Even at that, I will not leave school for a call. I am taking limited classes compared to other students so I am out of school much earlier in the day than most kids so I will respond only if I have no classes to attend.

Besides, I think it is part of our SOP's anyway, that says cadets can not respond during school hours.

Firecadetak

Hey guys, I'm an old-timer and not an Explorer or Cadet. I think its great that you guys show so much enthusiasm about fire fighting. I'm sure that you will all make great fire fighters when your time comes. But, right now you need to focus on school and not be leaving in the middle of the day. It stinks to miss the big one, but, soon fire fighting jobs are going to require a college degree, so, get those fundimentals now. If you have any say in school functions, though, maybe you could get a fire/rescue work study program.
    Stay safe.
    Bless all of our Fallen Brothers and Sisters. You will not be forgotten

Forum Member

Now I have a dilemma for ya topic starter whatever your name is, Jim, I am not really an explorer. We did not fill out Boy Scout Apps or anything, we are insured by our fire department, through the village. So for those who say that juniors and exporers are the same thing, they are not. Cause I normally am geting yelled at for saying in here that I am junior, so I have started just agreeing with by saying I am a explorer, even though I am truly no such thing, so do you hate me as much as you hate explorers? Since I am not on a leash and I can do more stuf.

[ 08-30-2001: Message edited by: Mitch RFD ]

Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Whoa, where the hell did that come from??!!

Hey i wasn't giveing anyone crap about explorers and i hope people dont hate explorers,because i dont remember doing anything wrong to make people mad. and sorry about giveing anyone crap about the explorer thing. but i thnk education is more importain than anything but as of now the explorers at my school have never had to leave for a call and wont unless like the school is on fire or hafe the township is on fire so i'll stay in school and wait for the big one or till i'm done in high school
    that about it and so till the i'm going to have fun

Hi Everybody! I'm a Sr in High School/ Jr Firefighter and I'm not allowed to carry my pager due to Department rules. The school will allow us to carry them but not to respond because they understand that we want to know where our partners are. I understand where they're coming from with the rule because it is important to focus on school. On the other hand, i would like to be able to carry mine because i like to know where my "family" is. Either way... I'm a senior, so I'm not really worried about it. Cheer up Jr's! Your time will come... the fire isn't going anywhere.
    Mallory
    Firefighter
    Montgomery Co. Station 74
    "When the pager goes beep-beep, it's time to ride the woo-woo"

Hello! In our school, we are allowed to leave school, but that is only if your GPA is above a high B average, and don't have discipline problems. It also has to be OKed by the dept. and the school.

Anyways, I was leaving school last year as a 16 yo Junior. That's because of the EMT cert. Other FFs my age could carry their pagers, but if they don't have the training to go on the call, they don't leave. By the way, I'm a Junior FF, not an Explorer. I'm a senior this year.
    Ricky Whalen
    Jr. Firefighter/EMT-B
    Vehicle Rescue
    Technical Rescue
    Patiently Waiting for 18

We Have Nothing to Fear But Fear Itself - FDR

Forum Member

my school says that you must have a note on file from your chief and BOTH your parents(if seperated) but chief does not approve.
    I am a senior also
    First In, Last Out

Here in my school district we are allowed ot pager our pagers, as long as they are vibrate. If we have a free period or it is a very serious call and we have permission we are allowed to go to calls since the explorer post is a credit carrying activity. I don't get a lot of hassle about my pager. You just have to use your head if you are going to have it. I turn it off for tests and make sure teachers don't see me looking at it. The pager has actually helped in school a few times too when accidents have happened in the school or on the grounds. A few of the teachers are EMT's so I am able to go get them and help out.
    Stay Safe and God Bless,

Ashley

Forum Member

dog meat I have a question...how the h*ll do you expect me to believe you that you had an EMT cert at 16, when in all 50 states you must be 18 to take the test?
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Mitch,
    In SOME state's they do allow 16 year olds to become EMT-Basic's. This is due to small town Ambulence companies not having enough man power. So If they can prove they know thier training and take and past the exam they can be certified EMT-Basic's. However anything over basic training you'd have to be 18. I know in New York State the Department of Heath requires you to be 18.
    Personaly I think 16 is a BIT young, however if the person knows thier stuff and is serious and mindful of his skills. Then I have no problem with it.

Hey mitch, I am EMT-B in PA (as of july) and I am only 17... If I remember correctly PA is a "16" state
    There are three truths in life:

1. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
    2. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
    3. Two Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

Thread Information