Default fire science courses

Does anybody know what corses are required to get a degree in fire sciencd or does it vary from college to college? I am asking because I tring to figure out if i want to just go to college for my basic four years or get a degree in fire science. I know I have to go to college before I can get my FF training because that is a guideline my parents have set for me and I dont blame them nor am I mad at them for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    LADIES LOVE ME.
    FLAMES FEAR ME.

"I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THIS FLAG, IF THAT BOTHERS YOU WELL THATS TOO BAD!" AARON TIPPIN

If you wish to burn our flag please remember to wrap yourself in it first!!!

ALL SOUTHERNERS ARE EXEMPT FROM ANY AND ALL OF MY YANKEE COMMENTS ON ANY AND ALL FORUMS.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

Forum Member

Well Fire Science is a very basic, incorrect term, the correct term is Fire Technical Training, but whatever. Check out www.sunyocc.edu . I know they have the classes there so you can kinda find out whats its all about there.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Forum Member

I know a number of colleges that offer Fire Science as a major in Associates Degrees. Most of these programs require 60 credits, or 20 classes. These 20 classes are unusally made up of both general classes such as math, physics, english, etc. as well as specific fire courses such as hydraulics, building construction, fire behavior, invesitgation and mitigation, haz mat, etc etc.

- Turk II

Hey Matt....I'm not sure what the other guys problem is with "fire science." That is what it is commonly refered to in this region...and others...and the actual name of the degree will vary from school to school. So...uhhhmmmm...who really cares, Mitch?

Different people will have different opinions on this obviously, but I would recommend getting your four year degree...and get it in something not directly related to the fire service. Working in the fire service requires math skills, business smarts, good reading and writing ability, etc....so find a degree that you will enjoy because all of them will help you (especially if you ever decide to move up the ranks).

The fire science programs are good, but they are set up in such a way that you will be able to take those classes around your work schedule once you get a job. Plus...you will get more out of them as a firefighter than you would before you were working anywhere. A lot of guys in the fire service get these degrees so make your 4-year degree something that separates you from the pack. Depending on how close your 4-year school is to a community college w/ a fire science program, you may be able to take some of the fire science classes as electives and then go back and finish the degree when you get hired....

Hey everybody thanks for all the info! Now I need to know if anybody knows of any colleges in the southern Louisiana area somewhere around New Orleans or Baton Rouge.Thanks again for all your help.
    LADIES LOVE ME.
    FLAMES FEAR ME.

"I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THIS FLAG, IF THAT BOTHERS YOU WELL THATS TOO BAD!" AARON TIPPIN

ALL SOUTHERNERS ARE EXEMPT FROM ANY AND ALL OF MY YANKEE COMMENTS ON ANY AND ALL FORUMS.

Forum Member

I reccommend that you goto yahoo and into education and select colleges and unitversities and you will find your way to college sites and then you can find their subject offerings.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Matt- Look into Delgado Community College. they have a pretty good fire science degree program. Alot of good classes. Classes are held in Bridge City (westbank side of the Huey P. Long Bridge) at the Jefferson Parish Training Academy. Delgado also offers a pretty good EMT-B/I/P program at there city park campus. If your gonna be trying to get on with Hammond i would think that the Paramedic course would be a good idea. But hey maybe you only want the fire science degree, that wont hurt either. Either way look into delgado http://www.dcc.edu or feel free to email me if you need any more info.

Thanks h-1 mech. Where in Louisiana are you from?
    LADIES LOVE ME.
    FLAMES FEAR ME.

Thread Information