Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

dammitangie said:
    I figured out my first night in the smoke house that I have a deathly fear of the SCBA

I think that it is a great thing you joining thie firehouse and wanting to help out. There is nothing that says that you have to wear an SCBA to be a firemen. There are other tasks that you can do while still riding the truck and not have to wear an SCBA. Ask your Chief about what options you have. I know that the kids in my fire house that do no wear SCBA's still ride the trucks, but interior members have priority over them if they arrive at the fire house. Good luck.

Stay safe all my Brothers and Sisters

I appreciate all the advice from everyone Please keep in touch
    Angie

My first structure fire was back in 1999. (around 2 AM) We had just returned from a MFA at a church and I was just walking into my house with my father when we heard the Cops get dispatched to a Garage fire. Needless to say that I was on the frst due engine, and was on the nozzle of the duece and a half attacking the fire pushing out side D of the house. All in all I believe we had a Mutual Aid Tower Ladder, FAST team, and a HAZMAT Team because the guy had all kinds of chemicals and stuff in his work van that was in the garage. Nice little fire, only trouble was the Hydrant the first due hit was OOS and thus we had to hit a hydrant in a nearby town (fire was on the border)
    Kenny Warr Jr.

Waldwick Fire Dept.
    Hawthorne Fire Dept. Engine Co. 3

I responded to my first working house fire Tuesday morning. I was sound asleep when the tones dropped around 4:30 AM. The homeowner actually called it directly to the firehouse, so Engine 42 was on the scene before me and my Dad even got to the garage. Unfortunetly, there were only 2 guys on the rig, but they reported a heavy smoke condidtion, and stretched a hand line inside. Due to the massive amount of junk on the stairs, one of them hurt their back, and was forced to bail out as we arrived. My dad radioed in a working fire, and requested another mutual aid engine. By this time the first due mutual aid rig pulled up, as well as our other engine, truck, rescue, and lots of guys. Engine 32 dropped a 5 inch line from the hydrant. My Dad sent more crews inside, and from there it was a normal structure fire. I set up lights, got stuff for the RIT team, ran around, and learned a lot too.

It was not my first but it was my third and it was a fully involved two-story residental fire. We were first in and flames were shooting out the door and windows. My dad was driving and told me to reverse lay. So I take a 3" line and take the Hydrant in 30 seconds or less. And it was the sweetest feeling being an Explorer and taking a hydrant with a fully involved fire. And it was 2:30 in the mourning.

Forum Member

RHVFC-
    To some it may look like a tangle of hose but to me it looks like you guys had multiple water sources (I counted 3 in the pix: Tankers, a drafting engine and a really neat portapump from the pool)which is sound firefighting practice of not having all you water supply "eggs" in one "basket". May look like a mess but if one source fails you still have water.

Angie-
    The others have all given very wise advice to overcome your fear/anxiety. I would imagine that all of us felt some trepidation upon using an SCBA for the first few times (or even first few dozen) I am sure overtime and with some steady practice you will get through it. Try wearing one around the station while doing normal tasks like washing a truck, waxing the floors or something so that it will get to be second nature using the unit. I also took scuba diving lessons eventually and that helped me as there are a lot of similarities.

Oops..forgot to post ON TOPIC...My first was a basement fire that went up into a wall and was heading for the attic(gotta love balloon construction). Was on the knob and I remember it was quite a rush to actually flow water on an uncontrolled fire. I kept the fire in check until more help arrived and then a more experienced crew took the knob and was used to open up and look for extension. I was on top of the world for days after.

[ 11-09-2001: Message edited by: FiRsqDvr45 ]
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

Thread Information