Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First Structure Fire

Yesterday at 3:30pm, a reported structure fire was called out. My station along with about 4 others in town was called out. I got to the scene at 4:30, when i got a ride there. the house was 75% undr control, on the scanner i heard the house was 2/3 on fire. Because the fire was in the backcountry of town, we have no hydraunts. The water supply was worked out like this: engine 71 (banksville,ny)which is a drafting engine, laid a hard suction in a lake with a floating strainer,they pumped about 300 ft to my companies tanker. we had a 6" line from the engine, and another 6" line from a portable pump in a pool. we then pumped to a pumper on the lawn. that fed 1 3" line to another pumper. that's the front of the house, it supplied another pumper with a deck guns and a few hose lines. this is a greenwich mansion, we saved part of the house, but it took a while to put out.

here's a link to some photos, u'll see what i'm talking about www.angelfire.com/ct/construction/housefire.html *there's a page 2 , link on bottom.

it was fun, and no one was critically hurt.

Bryan
    Round Hill Volunteer Fire Company- First in the Backcountry

I am a little anxious about my first structure fire or any house call for that matter. I am still going through rookie training, and I figured out my first night in the smoke house that I have a deathly fear of the SCBA mask. Any suggestions to help me out with this little problem?
    Angie

I remember my first worker pretty well. It went out on a dark late afternoon in early February (2001). It originally went out as an activated alarm to one of the two Senior Apartment buildings in town. I remember standing across the street for a good 3 minutes (this was when I rode my bike to calls) waiting to get across, the first due was waiting for more manpower. I get over there finally, grab my gear hop on the truck and we go out as first out with no officer and a total of 4 guys on the truck. While enroute to what seemed to be a routine bs call, we hear over the radio that there is a working fire, me and the other guy in the jumpseats just looked at each other for a second then I helped him pack up and stuff, we got there and hooked into the sprinkler system, then I watched as the other 2 pumpers came in with like full loads of guys. We had 2 mutual aid companies come in as well. It wasn't too bad a fire, it was only in 1 apartment, but I still remember it since of course it was my first worker.

my first one was next door to my house. about 3 am in feb. 2001 our tones woke me up. i got out of bed, turned left and looked out the window. i was staring at a big fireball. needless to say we lost the house.
    Rob Emerson
    Treasurer
    Holley Fire Dept.
    Explorer Post 119
    Holley, NY

Mine was Jan 01 single story single family residnce well involved upon arrival 5 Engine's 2 Medic Units 1 Battalion Chief handled 1 Exposure was threatend fire was contined to the house inside was totally gutted
    Cause Careless disposal of a cigerette

Second one was in July 01 another single story residnce caused by a meth lab fully involved upon arrival first due engine requsted 2nd alarm upon arrival fire was knocked down in 15 minutes 2nd alarm units cancelled

Hey dammitangie. Just so you know, if you're an Explorer, you propabley won't be wearing a SCBA on the scene.

My first structure fire was on Sept. 16, 2001. I was in my house on the computer when I heard "Stand by for structe fire response". They company's were E-1,E-2,E-9,A-1,R-1,M-1, and car 6. Later on, Guilford,CT came with there rapid intervention team but we didn't need it and two more engines from Branford.
    Anyways, I was out the door of my house in a sec. and I was only a quater of the way to the station on my bike when my company, E-9, pased me. That was the fstest they ever responded. So, I had no clue where Wildwod Dr. was so I just rode to where the sirens were.
    I was crossing a bridge when i realized that if I looked into the sky, I would see the smoke if this house was ripping, and I did. I followed the roads to where the smoke on when the other Explorer showed up with his dad.
    We put on a gear and walked to the house. The basement, 1st, 2nd, and attic were on fire. After about an hour after dousing the 2 1/2 wood with water, the fire was pretty much in our control. E-1,R-1, and Car 6 were there from 1:45-10:00 p.m.
    WHAT A FIRE!!! I GOT A GOOD ONE FOR MY FIRST!!!!!!!!

[ 09-25-2001: Message edited by: ex-stacy-@E9 ]

My first fire was mutual aid on our tower ladder, back in August. We got on the scene and E-7 had the fire under control, there was light smoke coming from an attic window. Our qualified guys went in immediatly and did some overhaul, while myself and the driver got tarps, and brought them in a few minutes later. The fire was very small, but ran across an AC duct in the ceiling, we did more damage checking for extension, then the fire itself.

Back on September 11th , I had my first in district structure fire. there were obviously a lot of guys at the station so I made it out on the second due engine(our whole department pulled at once). The fire was around the corner from the station, and we were met with heavy smoke coming from the entire first floor. We made a three point turn, and did a reverse lay into our first due engine. The fire was knocked down immediatly, but there was still plenty of fan work and stuff. The cause of the fire was an unatteneded candle.

Forum Member

My first structure fire was back in 99. It was a m-aid call to a neighboring dept. The structure was partially involved when our first engine got there. I rode thired out on E-4 and got to do the truck companies operations since they only had two people.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Evidently... You guys aren't paying attiontion when a fellow jr. is asking for help. Pay attention... We are a team whether you think so or not.

Angie, there is nothing wrong with being afraid of SCBA. I was never clostrophobic till I put one on for the first time. There is nothing scarier to me then having no periphial vision and not being able to see the hand in front of your face. The way I overcame it was to keep on using them every chance I got.

Heres what you do: Whenever you are up at the firehouse or at the burn building, ask for help on the SCBA. At the burn building put one on and go inside with someone. Take a knee and just sit there. Watch the fire and just take deep slow breaths the whole time. Its scary at first but eventually you will be able to withstand the enclosure. Do this at your own pace don't let anyone rush you. If you need tips on anything else, feel free to email or private message me. have a nice day!!
    Adam Spencer
    Cadet Firefighter/First Responder
    Nixa Fire District
    Nixa MO 65714

MY first worker came from the next town over. I went on mutal aid. First ever major structure fire. When we got there the flames were pretty much out but we were doing over haul. A good half of the back of this house was missing it was kinda cool. My first little structure fire was a Rosewell Meat Market in the bottom half of town, wasn't much.
    Thomas J.
    Protection Eng Co Explorer Post #6

Stay Safe and Never Forget Your Fallen Brothers and Sisters.

Let me start off by thanking all of the people that wanted to help me out...my instructor has been working with me throughout my "rookie class" and I am steadily getting better. I still tend to hyperventilate sometimes, but I will get over it, I suppose, or I will find another line of volunteer work.

Second, our department is in a small relatively unknown town in Texas. We barely have enough volunteers and First Responders and such....when someone volunteers, they are immediately taken into training. I am a firefighter, granted a rookie. Thanks for supporting me
    Angie

Angie i suggest that you go about overcomming your fear at your own pace. Every chane you get put a mask on and walk around with it at your station,place the mask on and just sit still try to relax and adjust to confining nature of the mask it will take some getting used to but just like anything you will do in the fire service you have to train and continuouslly practice. Nothing comes easy but i'm certain that you can overcome this problem because you've already taken the first and hardest step....you've taken an oath to serve and protect life,limb,property

rhvfc,
    How many pumpers were relaying water to the scene, or did you have access to hydrants? Lookin at the pictures looks like a big tangled mess with supply line running everywhere.
    I'm not a jr. or explorer, but I've been on the dept for 2 yrs this month and still haven't had a structure fire. I've almost completed my firefighter II training and still havent had any chance to use any of the knowledge I have gained, except for training burns!
    Volunteer(noun): Completely Under-paid Professional

Angie, take your mask home with you, cover the mask or do it in the dark in your home just to get use to wearing it in a friendly enviorement and crawl around in the rooms you are use to and feel out objects. Consentrate on your breathig as you go. Good Luck/

Stay Safe

My first structure fire occured a little less than a year after I joined the post. It was in a two story commercial building. It ended up going to a second alarm level fire, but it really wan't that bad. It was also the first time I hit the hydrant.

Angie, luckily SCBA masks have never been difficult for me to deal with. If I were you I would just practice wearing the mask without gear or with a pack. Once you get a little more comfortable with the feeling of it on your face, then work up to going on air and crawling around in the dark.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman..."

Angie,
    Practice Practice Practice is the only way to get used to wearing an air pack.At first I was pretty scared I was the only female and the only new person.One guy handed me a pack and said put this on you are going inside.That was that no instructions no help .I learned in a hurry to tighten mask straps I was inside for about 1 minute that was enough.Now I want to on the first truck every time and often monitor other companies in case we go on mutual aid I want to make sure I make the truck.Good Luck!

My first structure fire came over as a rubbish fire in the rear of a deli down the block from where I was working. It was a taxpayer, but the deli was on the end. The ladder company I am in does not respond to rubbish fires, but when we heard the officer from the engine give a signal 10 (working fire) I begged my boss to leave work to go. I ended up making the second rig there. At the time i might have had maybe 3 months in the dept. My capt. kept me outside most of the time, then he sent me in to take the front windows. Like a moron i didnt wear my mask when i walked inside, but that quickly changed. I had a field day smashing the windows to bits and pulling the drop ceiling with the rest of the guys. We stopped the fire from spreading to the other stores. It was a hot august day and i had to be there from 4pm to 7pm. I was exausted after it, and my feet were killing me from my new boots. A word of advice to the rookies or probies, take a breath before getting off the truck, and if you are calm and composed no matter what you do will work out alright.

g'luck to angie, i sent you an email
    - tom
    www.lynbrookfd.org
    " truck till the casket drops "

www.lynbrookfd.org

My views and opinions do not represent the views and standards of the Department or Company that I belong to.

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

My First structure fire was back in April of 99 in a neighboring town. We got called for Mutual aid of 2 engines & our Snorkel to the scene of a 2 mulidwelling building heavily involved. I went over with my brother and another cadet since we werent allowed to ride yet. So we got on scene and the whole street was filled with smoke. As we looked around I noticed the flames blowing out the rear windows of the house and coming from the roof. 2nd house had heavy smoke and fire coming from the roof and had partial collapse. Welll after about 15-20 minutes into fighting the fire The airhorns sounded and everyone had to evacuate the building as I watched the last firefigher exit the building hte roof gave way... which 2nded it by the 2nd floor giving way.. the 2nd house was still standing but now the 1st house had even more fire than before..... All in all I spent a good 10-12 hours there..
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

i dunno what to score this one, folks. the page came out as an "FS" (County terminology for structure fire) and i was stoked as all hell. we roll in the rescue squad (cuz there were injuries), get on scene, and the house aint on fire! turns out that a dumbass scotlander turned on the gas while trying to light his water heater, left it on for 15 minutes, and then lit a match! there was a "flashover", and he got 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his extremities, and his face. there was fire, but was there enough to call it a structure fire?
    JC Makusztak
    Explorer Lieutenant/Firefighter Trainee
    San Bernardino County Fire Dept.
    Station 20, Lytle Creek

Originally posted by KBWVFD #8:
    rhvfc,
    How many pumpers were relaying water to the scene, or did you have access to hydrants? Lookin at the pictures looks like a big tangled mess with supply line running everywhere.
    We had the main supply engine, my dept's tanker, and another engine relaying water to the front of the house. we had a portable pump in a pool also. we have no hydraunts in backcountry. the supply engine drafted out of a lake. It was pretty mangled, but it got the job done.

Bryan
    RHVFC@aol.com
    Round Hill Volunteer Fire Company- First in the Backcountry

Thread Information