Default Junior FireFighter Questions

I am exploring the possibility of added a Junior FF program to our department so I have many questions. We are interested in Junior FF not explorers. You can either reply to this or send me an email to: cdippold@cd-communications.com

1. Are there any websites out there that will explain many of the questions I have here?

2. Ratio of Junior FF's to Certified FF's? What is a good size to get the most out of training, have fun, and learn something?

3. Color of Fire Helmet?

4. Type of turnout gear?

5. Duties at the scene of a structure fire?

6. Non-fire/training related activities?

Thanks everyone!

Cory Dippold
    Chickasaw Fire
    Chickasaw, OH

scottieschmidt
    Firehouse.com Guest

in my company we have same helmets just orange stickers as opposed to yellow. same gear for most part except we get the old black instead of new tan, but even some jr's have the new tan. for us u are a jr until 18. our training is open to everyone, mandatory to jrs inless they have a really good excuse. some training includes vehicle rescue (going to junk yard and ripping apart cars, properly of course), live burns at the states fire school facility. very big on confined space, and rit. also knotts etc., ladders, and ems stuff also.we have 3 types of training, in house tought by members, inhouse fire school, and fire school. as for duties on fire scene, all depends. anyone can do anything with the right training and personal ability if u know what i mean. younger jrs do more of the outside stuff if u know what i mean, like wrapping hydrant packing hose etc etc. on car accidents and car fires etc jrs usually do it all though.

In my company all the juniors are certified in FF1. Are helmet colors are black with a two red strips on top. (The senior FF's wear yellow helmets). We have 5 juniors in the department. They wear the same turnout gear that the senior FF's wear. Our juniors basicly can do anything at the fire scene, but they cant go inside a structure. Most of the time they will take the hydrant. The juniors do just about anything that is not fire realated. They help out at the fundraiser activities. When we have company drills we include them in our drill. If you have any questions email me at dmx6462@aol.com.

1. Are there any websites out there that will explain many of the questions I have here?

not to my knowledge

2. Ratio of Junior FF's to Certified FF's? What is a good size to get the most out of training, have fun, and learn something?

right now on our departments its 2 cadets (juniors) to about 20-25 regular guys, though in the next few months it'll be 3 1/2 (long story) cadets, but the eldest cadet will be a regular member in february, and i'll be one in april. But drill wise we do just about everything the regular guys do

3. Color of Fire Helmet?

black cairns 1010 with orange/red trapazoids

4. Type of turnout gear?

older, black gear (think its Cairns too)

5. Duties at the scene of a structure fire?

Varies, SCBA bottle change out, prep/retreive to/from be filled, assist OIC, assist safety officer, back up on an exterior line sometimes, get things off the truck

6. Non-fire/training related activities?

Varies from basic search and rescue, to extrication, hose nozzle & deck gun use, and bunch of other things.

Forum Member

1. Not that i know of.
    2.we have 6 to about 20 active guys
    3.Our juniors have red helmets,
    4.black gear as the others, its basically hand me down gear
    5.catching hydrant,being the goffer,pulling hose everything except interior firefighting
    6.we do everything as the seniors
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

We`ve got yellow helmets, same color gear as everyone else, a lot of handed down stuff, but still in good condition. Since we aren`t 18, and aren`t FF1, we can`t go into a burning building, but we can do pretty much everything else, and go inside once the fire is out. There are 3 of us now, and the rule is a max of 10.

Hi Cory,
    I started at age 14 as a Jr. At the time, the Jr's. Functioned as its own unit with rank structure and an administrative staff. The department of 10 had one advisor. It was NOT what it is cracked up to be. During that time, The Jr's were permitted to go on certain calls providing they had certain training. We made sure to get the training so that we could go to the structure calls. We were allowed to fight fire from exteriors only. We were allowed to fight brush fires but, NO HAZ-MAT type incidents. Here is a list of issues that eventually led to the downfall of the Jr's; 1.) RANK STRUCTURE: Don't do it. It caused hard feelings and egos ran ramped. There was a lot of internal fighting. 2.) A SEPERATE ENTITY: There was hostility between the Sr's and Jr's. The older guys felt like "who are they to do this and that". They really did not want us around. Looking back, I guess they felt like they were left out of the "loop" on a lot of things,.... they didn’t feel "a part of". 3.) ONE ADVISOR: Obviously, that one advisor picked his favorites and the rest were out! There were many problems with people who just sopped coming around, they felt pushed away. That sends the wrong message and we lost people who would have made great firefighters.

Here is how we run it today;

1.) You must be at least 16yoa and maintain a 2.0 grade point average. (My opinion even starting at 14,.... its too young. Being in the fire service requires some level of maturity. Most of us were not that mature yet. That’s not to say that there are 14 year olds out there that are more mature than some 20 year olds I know) The grade issue is big with us. Its no different than playing high school sports, "want to play,..... got to have the grades"!

2.) We limited the amount of "Jr's" we have to 5 at any one time. We feel that we can spend more time with the 5 guys training than if we had more. Its kind of like an over crowded school room,.... someone misses out.

3.) We assigned one firefighter or officer to each guy as a "big brother" to guide them and train them. It has established bonds that our "Jr's" will always remember. It has made a couple of our troubled guys straighten up and fly right. They needed a role model and someone they could look up to. A couple of our "Big Brothers" have even worked with the grade issues of a couple of our guys helping them with homework and showing them that school is the most important thing right now.

4.) The "Jr's" are considered probationary members of the senior department. This has to do with Child Labor issues and workers compensation. They have no rank structure, each are considered to be equal. They can come to our meetings and have a voice but not a vote. The administrative areas are learning areas as well if they are to be the future of the organization.

5.) TRAINING: They must meet state minimum levels to respond to calls. They are allowed to ride the first in engine or ladder as the 5th man. There must be at least 4 Sr (trained) firefighters on board. They can ride the squad truck anytime. They are permitted to respond of River Rescue calls on our boat as the third man providing at least 2 technicians are on board. They can respond to mutual aid calls at the discretion of an officer, same with HAZ-MAT.

6.) They are permitted in the station with an officer’s permission but are not allowed guests. (Exception; family members)Most of the time, there are Sr members here 24-7. Each has a certain responsibility as coordinated with each "big brother". For example, checking air bottles, fueling up the chain saws or K-12, checking for lost or broken equipment and of course keeping certain areas of the station clean. Usually, if they have permission to be here alone, they are cleaning for at least a half hour. During the school year, they must be out of the station by 10PM and 12AM on vacation and weekends unless they are spending the night with a Sr member on station. They cannot respond to nighttime calls on school nights.

7.) Our guys wear orange helmets. This is mainly for visibility. When we looked at the Jr program, we wanted to make sure that they were highly visible as they are our responsibility. If anything happens, it falls back on us. Our guys also wear PBI and Firewalker Boots. I know that this seems odd since they really aren’t getting into the major fire areas but,.... there safety is of first concern. We felt that their gear needed to be equal to ours. If they were to be injured and a civil case results from it, a good lawyer would make this an issue. So we spend around $1,200.00 on each guy. They help with fundraisers and even collect pop cans to help defray the costs.

8.) They can function in any capacity of an exterior firefighter with the exception of pumping the truck or operating the ladder. Although, we have one guys that can pump and operate the ladder better than some Sr members.

9.) NON-FIRE ACTIVITIES: As for drills, they can function at any level at the discretion of an officer or instructor. The only live burn training they are allowed is Brush Fire Training. Any other drills are of simulated nature. They are NOT permitted to drive the apparatus. They assist with fundraisers and are part of our special projects committee, which is the backbone of the department when it comes to funding and new areas of the fire service. They do a good bit of the legwork so that they DO feel part of.

The program as it is structured now, has been a God Send. It has set the foundation for the future of the organization. Since its formation 15 months ago, we have had four guys graduate to the senior ranks and are recruiting for their replacements. With 19 years in the fire service, I anticipate I will have another 20 left. By the time I "retire", some of these same guys will be here to make sure that our community is protected and the organization is strong.

Thread Information