Default Starting JR Dept

I need information on starting a junior program from scratch. What I need is documentation from insurance companies to operating procedures for junior departments. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

District Chief

You will need gear to get started....Have to have them protected...
    Gear will cost you about $11-1200.00 that includes everything from head to toe. Contact Quaker Saftey products (www.quakersafety.com) for Coats/pants, use Chieftain helmets, and black diamond boots. Gloves and hoods are a toss up. You need to get a set of rules from other departments that have explorers or juniors and use them as a model and make a set that fit your needs. You will need "committed" help to mentor, oversee and train the junior company. By committed I mean....not some one who says..."oh yea...good idea"....some one who is will to work hard and make the program work. It will take time to get them up and running.....and it will take dedicated folks to make it run.
    Pinellas County florida has some good Explorer programs (a bit different from just a junior program) but a place to start

Contact the Fire Marshall at Palm Harbor Fire Department and ask for information on the Explorer Program. He may send you a rule book... PHFD100@aol.com

Also in Warrenton Virginia they have had a Junior program for years. Contact Chief Swain at Jkswain1@aol.com or another memeber thebravest4evr@aol.com.

Insuarance coverage will vary by state as will what you can actually let them do. The Virginia Department of Fire Programs in Richmond has specific rules about training. You can contact Bert Roby's Office (area training manager) at 540-672-1277 for those rules.

Start in your own state first. Contact your insurance carrier for your department and let them know what you are planning and ask them about the coverage... They will tell you..

I started as a junior in this business in 1971....

Good luck..Stan
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Forum Member

At our department in NC, we are able to cover our juniors under the same workmans-comp policy that we cover our seniors with. As far as gear, we issue our juniors the used senior gear that is still wearable but may not be safe for interior work since we do not allow the juniors to participate in any fire suppression. I do agree that it takes a dedicated advisor. It also takes a department willing to take on the responsibility. You will find that, for some kids, the guys at the firehouse can become real father figures and that they may be teaching more than just which end of the hose squirts water. But it can also bust your heart with pride to see one of your "kids" grow up and become a credit to the department. E-mail me and I will send you copies of our By-Laws and SOGs. Good Luck and Stay Safe!
    Kevin Sink
    Fair Grove Fire Dept.
    Thomasville, NC USA
    kevinsink@northstate.net

I am in the process of instituting a junior program in our dept. in Pennsylvania we need to follow the state and federal Child Labor Laws. I received alot of info from my State Senator, including a compliance guide that is a great help. You should check with your state to assure compliance with any laws that apply.

Where in PA?

I would suggest,as an Explorer, you treat your Jrs. like regular ff's. This will help increase membership. Dont give them all the best though, you dont want to spoil them. Just treat them well and make sure they have someone to go to when they have questions, concerns, or ideas about the Jr. Program. Remember, they will not always be happy about some of thier concerns. You have to advise them that solutions will not come overnight

Thread Information