Thread: Juniors

Default Juniors

How do you get young people interested in being on the fire department?

MembersZone Subscriber

Now there's a good question! We have a JR program which only has TWO members! That's pretty sad, especially since they're both 17 and we'll lose them to the active ranks in a year!

How can we get young people interested? Come on guys and gals and help us out!

-Cliff
    "The more we sweat in training, the less we bleed in battle."

That is a good question, we have 3 on our department (myself including), and 2 of us (myself included again) are moving up to the active ranks by April, leaving 1. Though my town's First Aid Squad has at least 10 cadets, and get new applications all the time, I've tried to get some more people to join but I'd be open to suggestions as well.

Forum Member

being a young person myself, and wanting to be on the fire dept(im not quite there yet). You need to get a program that shows what a JR. can do by joining. tell them the advantages and how it will help them in the long run. tell them that it can be fun and u can have alot of fun doing it.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

make it fun for the people that you want to join have an open house and show what they can do and how fun it is. and make sure the person over seeing it all is nice and is there for them being a jr. myself i hate it when we have someone(ie. advisor0 who never shows up and nerver helps us.

I was a member of a department as a Cadet for 2 years. I was 16 when I got involved, and I think the reason I joined is because I needed to feel like I was doing something with my life and for my community. I was allowwed to go to all of the training that I wanted to go to, however no matter how many times I showed up for calls, I was never taken. That was so discouraging and disheartning that I almost quit the department. I felt that I was training for nothing and that we cadets were under appreciated. We would have gladly performed fireground auxilary duties such as tanker filler, or overhaul, but we were never included. You need to set up a program that lets young members become involved in real situations after they have proven themselves in training. If you do not do this, you will not have anymore new members who will devote the time and effort that it takes to be a volunteer firefighter.

Whats go'n on...New registere....
    Today the Jr.FF and Cadets w\ 3 FF made a presentation @ the high school during all gym periods with a short speech and showed off the ladder truck.. It was a suscessful day we handed out 18 applications...
    BRIAN

Forum Member

Well this is an age old question....

First I think we have to see our Junior/Cadet/Explorer programs as part of the Department and not as a seperate entity. This way we will never see ourselves as loosing a junior to the active ranks, but instead see ourselves as retaining a volunteer when they get promoted to active status.

The biggest thing I think we can do is decide what a Junior can and can not do in terms of departmental activities. This varries from state to state and even from Dept. to Dept. Check with the insurance company, OSHA, Legal Dept. to be certain but then make a set of guidelines that will be adhered to by everyone.

In my Dept we have Junior Members (16-18) who get issued gear, can ride apparatus as long as ther is a free seat and can do almost anything OUTSIDE of a structure. They can not however be more than 6 feet off the ground when using a ground ladder and are not allowed in the Tower Ladder Bucket. They may NOT wear SCBA and are not even supposed to be trained in SCBA use. I am also an Advisor with a multi agency Explorer Post and the law says different things about Explorers because they are considered members of a club and not employees of a department. Explorers are not issued gear, do not respond on calls except as part of an organized ride along program, but may be trained in SCBA, may climb up to 35 feet on a ground ladder and there are no limitation that I know of on Aerial Ladders/Tower Ladders. Also OSHA has no say in what happens with club members.

Once the department has decided what kind of program to start, get as much down on paper as possible and then you will be able to show prospective youth members exactly what thier role will be. Our Junior Members perform Fireground Support, limited Exterior firefighting (Brush/Garbage) and Public Education. Thye also train with the Active members most drills so they get the advantage of two years of training.

LT. Alan Shaw
    Belltown Fire Department
    Public Safety Explorer Post 135
    Stamford, CT

Temporarily/No Longer Active
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

In my department over in Pittsville we have 11 cadets (myself included) and a godd way to recruit new cadets is to get around in the community have events that the teens in the area are interrested in doing. Make it seem cool. Most people that first come in think it is "dumb" but after a month or two they will soon love it wouldn't change it for the world.

My company has a junior program. It has been very successful but it also requires alot of attention by the company chief and line officers. As an engineer, the juniors have been very helpful in getting the rigs back in service after a call. Their interest in training has also lit a fire under some of our older members. The biggest concern for me is that the firehouse shouldn't become the juniors' only priority. There is schoolwork and family resposibilities which need to be emphasized. The graduates from our junior program have developed into fine firefighters. A well managed junior program will reap many benefits for an organization willing to make the necessary committments to both the junior member and the organization.

My dept. that im an explorer of ha 8 members 4 of which or active. we just started last year and i just joined up. SO far we can ride take FF classes, we are treated like Fire Fighters in almost every aspect, and we are getting trained to use everything. And its not just for FF's its EMT too! its a great program (explorers) and theres alot we can do and alot we are trusted with. im greatful to be in such a great place and i suggest you all get some recruits and show them off! Also get in touch with some local news papers that helps alot. I am the PR person for our post and we were just put in the paper from going to three local events as the dept in 2 weeks and our chief said to the paper eventually we will become an "Integral part of the deptartment" which to me is great.

[ 11-09-2001: Message edited by: SFDExplorLt1 ]

I am the Cadet Advisor for the Englewood, Ohio Fire Dept. Currently we have 7 cadets of which 3 will move to the active ranks in June. Most of our luck with getting cadets is word of mouth by the current cadets. Our cadets range from 14-18 years of age. The 16-18 year olds get issued turn-out gear and run as part of an in-house crew as a 4th member. However they can not engage in any actual fire fighting duties they do however do work on the outside of the structure. They also go as part of the medic crew. We also have a table set up at the city festival every year with information and applications for cadets. We have had only a couple of replys from this. I just recently went to a staff meeting with the high school guidance counselors and have gotten 3 new applications within the last month. Everything our cadets do is in writing and must be adhered to by all cadets. This SOP is very strict and enforced to the letter by myself and the other advisor.

ohh yeah i forgot to add that part. we all have bunker gear but we can not engage on interior firefighting.

BFD182, just said how things work in our department, and it works great. If there`s a seat, we can go, and when we get there, we don`t need to stand around like idiots, we`re busy. I hate reading about departments that don`t allow Juniors to calls, or even the firehouse , how are you supposed to learn anything?? The best way to learn is at the scene. At my first working fire, last week, I learned more then I would in 4 or 5 drills.

[ 11-09-2001: Message edited by: BFD45 ]

To get kids into the department you have to keep it interesting. If all juniors/explorers are allowed to do is come to the station and go to meetings they will drop out or not join at all. Juniors should get turnout gear and be able to respond to calls. Also do things in the community, go to the schools and/or have a school take a trip to your department. Remember that you have to get them interested before you try to keep them into it!
    "A greater love hath no man than this...."

I organize a cadet program with 8 cadets, possibly expanding to 16 next year. I am looking for books, ideas, suggestions, etc. for our volunteer dept.(me too) to use to improve our program. We are involving out cadets in regular training and in training on their own. They are able to participate in all aspects of fire-fighting including NFPA courses, but are not able to attend fires as per insurance coverage. null boerdyk2@hotmail.com

How to get people involved? we post posters make announcements, hold ceremonies, school assemblys, school awareness, uniform days at school, take pictures, do everything but stand on our heads! Do they come? NO! When you ask peoples veiw on firefighting they see it as dieing for $ an hour. What sort of an idiot wants to be a fireifhgter when they can be a NBA star! We are mocked and tormented at school, for what we stand for, how do we get people to show some interest and join up, furthermore how do we get people who have joined to show some interest and show up for trainings? The world may never know!
    My veiws don't reflect those of my deprtment or organization, I do not litigate for firefighters anywhere female or male, I reserve the right to use adult language whomever it may offend, I also reserve the right to firefight untill the day I die, may whomever disagree take it up with themselves.

Thread Information