Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Helmets

Default Helmets

I just wanted to get an idea of which post or jr firefighters have helmets and what do you have, Metro's or leather? The post i have (im Lt.) was issued the dept.'s old metros, they have leather now though, kinda makes me jealous.

The majority (me included) at my department have bullard firedome helmets, a couple has the new cairns & brothers, and one has a cairns 1010 traditional style which he bought himself all of them are black except officers which have yellow and chiefs that have white.

We`ve all got yellow Metro`s. We HATE them, and I`m looking at a Morning Pride to replace it. Some other guys have them, and seem happy. Eventually we`ll phase them out, because they`re just pointless to have. I took mine off at a house fire the other day, just to scratch my head, and the thing simply fell apart

Everyone on my dept has 1010s, ours are black just like the regular ffs, tho we have orange trapazoids instead of yellow, officers have red helmets, and chiefs white.
    9-11-01 FDNY 343 - Lest We Forget

Yea i dont like the metros much they gonna fall apart if it goes to one more structure. i wanna save up for a cairns or something along those lines.

Bullard FireDome which in my mind is a piece of s**t. The same with the metro's. I wish we could actually spend some money and get some good 1010's

I personally like the new Ben Franklin 2 Plus series of traditionals, a little heavy @ first but really comfortable once ya get used to the and they aren't that expensive, i paid 165 for mine @ www.thefirestore.com but i paid more than that b/c i got a leather front, door wedges , garrity light and a rubber band to hold everything on and an american flag for the top of it that fits into the quadrants and lime/yellow/silver reflective trim. It looks really sharp and it's economically priced, well worth the money. It only weighs 50 oz, way less than a leather and not much more than a metro.
    Let us not forget our brothers and sisters that perished,we must honor their memory.
    9-11-01 WTC FDNY 343

All i say is from me, not my employer or volunteer organization

Do any of you guys run calls? For the ones that do how many of you run on a heavy rescue comp.? The Cairns Metro 660's are a very good helmet for rescue company opp's. When you have to break a window and crawl in a New Yorker or a Ben 2 are to big...and lets not get in to confined spaces... Don't get me wrong I Love my New Yorker and my 1010, but if you have to do rescue company opp's the metro is the way to go. Plus the metro's are not expensive to replace.

I ride alot, and i do agree they are good for car accidents, etc. but mine is getting old, i am gonna buy myself a new one sometime.

we aren't really issued gear cuz we keep it on our engine, we have cairns metros but i got a Ben 2 plus as i mentioned b4 and i ride as many calls as i can,jmy company does pretty much everything b/c rescues and ladders are about 10 min out so.. were pretty much on our own 4 awhile......
    Let us not forget our brothers and sisters that perished,we must honor their memory.
    9-11-01 WTC FDNY 343

All i say is from me, not my employer or volunteer organization

hey you guys are really lucky my post uses black phenoxes with no liner in them so they weigh about 8 ounces and it is really unrealistic the things you can do with that on that you cant with a regular helmit
    -Tristin
    Orcutt Fire Protection District
    Explorer Post 2335
    Always remember "when the **** hits the fan turn off the fan"

We use carins 515.... I thought I would hate loosing the brim but I wouldn't trade it for the world... Same goes with my shield The gogles are great only downfall is interior attacks not having that extra protection over your mask which I liked. But for the weight reduction and actually having ratchets in our helmets it is well worth any dissatisfaction I may have. For those that haven't seen the 515's they are the New helmet Carins released they are basically a 660 minus the brim and a few modifications... We call em our Jockey helmets If you get a chance look em up and check em out... By the way the helmets that we replaced with these were the original 660's from the early 80's with no ratchets and the old harness... So needless to say this is a big improvement.. But for the look I still think you can't top the look of a beat in New Yorker....
    "A 4x4 **** son plywood comes in bigger sheets than that make that hole bigger boy" There are those out there that know what I mean!!!!!!

Forum Member

My personal helmet is a Cairns 1010. I wouldn't trade it for anything except maybe a new leather New Yorker. It's very light, looks great, and serves its purpose well. I've had it for about a year so far, and my neck has never gotten sore or any pains in it, even after wearing it all day at a burn down. IMHO it's the best.

Thumbs up

I just orderd a ben 2 plus off the firestore.com. I got the goggles with it because this way nothing can get up an under it like a regular faceshield or bourkes would allow. Total price with the tetrahadends (???????) and a leather front + shipping and handling was only $225

MY M.D. dept. issues red metros
    My P.A. dept. issues black metros with a junior firefighter cresent
    We may purchase our own leather's at either dept. though.

P.S. Santa, I've been a good boy I think I deserve that new leather.
    "Real Heros wear SCBA, Not Capes!"<br />

<a href="http://www.newhollandfire.net" target="_blank">www.newholland fire.net</a> **department website**

<a href="http://www.lancasterfire.com" target="_blank">www.lancasterf ire.com</a><br />**county website**

my department issues us the ff's old metros. they SUCK! when i was doing confined space awareness training at the academy, i hit my head on the roof of the pipe, and the damned thing broke! the shell came off, at my feet. damn!
    JC Makusztak
    Explorer Lieutenant/Firefighter Trainee
    San Bernardino County Fire Dept.
    Station 20, Lytle Creek

Metro's for us untill im a senior FF and can get a Ben Franklin.

exp17
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I'm not sure of the brand of firefighting helmets we get, but i think they are bullard's black plastic, with sheilds that say explorer with white lettering on the sides. They are really cool because they are light, and with our new panter B.A.'s make search and rescue fairly easy.
    Our turnouts arent bad either, we got yellow tripple trim body armor(brand) structure turnouts with fireman iv gloves and its all in fairly good condidtion.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cairns & Bro. 660C Metro. It's saved my nogin a couple of times on overhaul jobs. I'd prefer a Cairns New Yorker, but you can't win them all.

Temporarily/No Longer Active Station7Cadet's Avatar
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

In my department most cadets have turtle shells and my dept has a program where if you have good grades then A's are like 25 dollars and B's are 20 and C's are 15 and they add them all up and whatever money you made that year you get to but a new helmet!

Thread Information