Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

Default Your Most Memorable Call???

I was just wondering what your most memorable call was either fire or EMS related...(since I know some of us do fire/EMS) but anyways ..... My most memorable call was we were dispatched to a Fire alarm activation coming back from a routine EMS call.. this was when I was on the ambulance....Well We get toned out... 343 to 952 head over to the Kulas lane reported fire alarm activation with smoke condition.. Well they toned out both squads with general alarms... cause we have 2 squads that cover a half of town.. and General alarm for hte fire dept.. so were en route and we are waiting to be cancelled... Get on scene... I grab the Medical Bag & the stair Chair + stretcher threw it on the cot and took off to the main lobby.... Heard on my radio 952's crew report to 3rd floor stairwell standby for possible burn victim unknown at this time. Well im walkin.. its cold out..its january 14th...snow still on the ground.. got into the lobby.. grabbed the bag and headed into the stairwell well the alarms were still sounding.. being a Rookie on the rig... I was lovin every minute of it... My fire dept side started showing I happened to look out the window as I was heading into the stairwell and saw that the tower ladder had a crew with pike poles a set of irons etc...so being a Firefighter cadet also I know this isnt a good sign.. so we get into hte stairwell and the waters pouring down the steps Right now Im ankle deep in water.. I was quite annoyed because i just got a pair of new workboots and they are now soaked and dirty.... BUT we hiked the 3 flights and got into the little stairwell It was hard to get up into the stairwell because they had a 3 inch supply line hooked up and had a Y set up where the little platform was with a 1 1/2 hooked up.. Well we just got there as they were accessing the fire floors hallway so they opened the door and it was just a wall of white & grey... they brought the line in and went to work you could hear them banging around inside and knocking down the fire... I was in my glory.... being in a building while its on fire hey I'm sorry but I was loving it... hehehe Soo 4 guys went in.. and disappeared to the smoke.. the officer of my Crew finally realized I was a cadet and told me to go down to the lobby which RIGHT then in there I saw the most horrible site a 16 year old kid Would ever See... 2 Firemen came running into the stairwell Yelling they got a victim.. Well I almost S*** myself when I saw what they had.. they just pulled out a nice SEVERELY burnt female Well the gagging started and the gloves went on and I went to work... I had her head while we carried the body 3 flights Down the stairwell now im a pretty big guy so I'm a little slow on the running section UNLESS I REALLY REALLY HAVE TO well I REALLY REALLY HAD to and Got some complements from the other squad members I pretty much plowed down en route down the hallway to get the stretcher...on how fast I moved hehe.. anyways back to the story.. We threw her on the cot and took off outside into the parking lot and into the rig she went... WELL The news wasnt good the next day that she was on her way to dieing.. now this is hte 2nd time she burnt her apartment down... this time it was suicide that did her in... BUT I guess the man upstairs didnt want her to go because SHE LIVED!!! I almost choked on my soda when I heard the news... But all in all that is the most memorable call so far... I havent really had hte chance to get some fire cals stuck in my head YET.. but I've been to some good ones but none as bad as that one .....See it had some fire & ems in it hehehe sorry for it being so long but hey I thought it was good story.. I should be a writer...HAHAHA So lets hear it.. what were some of your Most memorable calls....
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

I guess my most memorable job was memorable for all the wrong reasons. We got a call to a car versus truck on the edge of our fire district. We had one other station backing us up and a Heavy Rescue Tender mobile from our central station. We arrived at a cross section and the call could be either left or right. Over here in Oz we have a Pump ( structure, rescue and chemical )and a Light Tanker ( which are used mainly for Wild Fires ). We were in the tanker, I was driving and we ended up going left. We arrived to a scene of destruction. The truck had hit the car at 90kmh pushed it into a phone pole and then driven over the car. As we were the first Emergency Services on the scene ( all our Paramedic Services are basically private from us and they weren't here yet ), we assessed the scene and got our pump ( which has the cutting gear on it, to turn around ). The truck driver was fine ( no surprises ) but the car driver was serious. We worked our guts off to get her out. The trucks roo bar ( yep Roo - as in Kangaroo )had torn off the truck and impact welded with the car. Anyway, we got the lady out only to be told she had died just before we had succeded. NEXT DAY --- I went to get my hair cut and into the cut my hairdresser goes " You're a firie huh?" I answer Yes of course. He snoops around during the course of my haircut asking me which station I was at, put two and two together to work out I was at the accident and then says --- That was my sister-in-law. Get this... just married, on the way home from picking up the photos from their honeymoon, gets a call from her new husband, clips the kerb fishing for the phone. You can figure out the rest.

Anyone wanting to visit our web site, it is www.fireandrescuewa.org

n.b. If anyone thinks this is too graphic a storey I will feel free to delete it - it occurred 7 years ago.

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: Beaker73 ]
    ______________________________ ___
    In memory of our fallen brothers.
    The heroes at ground zero.
    September 11th, 2001.
    ______________________________ ___

Forum Member

I know this is a six year old thread but I just wanted to see what some of your most memorable calls are. Mine happened a few weeks ago. We got toned out for a MVA with entrapment and vehicle fire. We immediatly called for a second alarm and mutual aid from the neighboring town. I was on the first engine on scene, we had a working fire under the hood and two people entraped. The third person got out of the car before we arrived. All three were teenagers, they were driving 80+ mph on a small country road with sharp turns. They ran off the road and hit a large tree so hard that it broke in half. We ended up calling in the county's helicopter to airlift them to the hospital.

The most memorable part of this call is what one of the volunteer EMTs from a local rescue squad did. He climbed into the car while it was still on fire to work on the victims. He told us that if they died in the fire he was going with them.

My first structure fire as a non-junior and being able to do Interior work. Quite a time!
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by StartexFF View Post
    The most memorable part of this call is what one of the volunteer EMTs from a local rescue squad did. He climbed into the car while it was still on fire to work on the victims. He told us that if they died in the fire he was going with them.
    I might be the only one here, but this sounds like the cowboy hero crap that gets people killed. If they were so thoroughly entrapped, and ended up burning despite your best efforts, what the hell good was it to commit suicide in the name of treating them? I realize everything was okay in the end, but seriously, I'd have issues with someone like that working beside me. I'd rather go home to my family knowing I did everything I could, than jump in a burning car, and just wait to die, so I could look like a hero on TV or something.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jerry4184 View Post
    I might be the only one here, but this sounds like the cowboy hero crap that gets people killed. If they were so thoroughly entrapped, and ended up burning despite your best efforts, what the hell good was it to commit suicide in the name of treating them? I realize everything was okay in the end, but seriously, I'd have issues with someone like that working beside me. I'd rather go home to my family knowing I did everything I could, than jump in a burning car, and just wait to die, so I could look like a hero on TV or something.
    I was thinking the same thing when he did it. He isnt on our department, he is a member of one of the county's rescue squads out of another station. Also the guy who did that was friends with the family of one of the kids. He had known the kid his whole life.
    Last edited by StartexFF; 06-06-2007 at 08:11 PM.

Forum Member

Even so, and I realize this is easy to say sitting behind a computer in our radio room, and not being there, but I would hope someone would have the sense to pull that guy out, because obviously he was too close to the victims, and wasn't thinking straight. I'm a huge fan of going home at night.

Forum Member

I agree with you about going home at night and yes we would have pulled him out. If he had been on our department he would probably be on suspension right now.

Forum Member

probly my most memorable call was a general alarm at the sernior citizens home in town i got to the firehouse just as the engine was pulling up jumped on the drivers side as the ladder just as the brakes relased. A firefighter came runing up the side as we pulled away jumped in as we screamed out of the driveway up the street there was a nj state bus stoped on the street we had to turn onto to make the stageing area. With the second due quint on the street with six and us signing on momenets later with 5 we were sent to stageing inset of takeign the front of the building but this is where things went to hell in a hand basket. was we turned onto the busy rode we went to far and over shot the driveway for the stageign area and went into the wrong driveway so 2 guys the officer and the firefighter on my side were orderd off the truck to stop traffic so we could back up and enter the corrct driveway. At this point we were swinging the ladder into the driveway and the nj tansit bus creapt up on us the back end of the ladder swong around pinning the firefighter on the drivers side between the bus and the tail board of the truck this was around xmas time so we had some toy soldiers zip tied to the back of the truck the zip ties snaped which made a hell of a noice covering up the grinding noise of the truck hiting the bus. we pulled into the driveway to get the truck out of the street and looked out the windo and saw the guy who had been pinned wonderign around in the street. we jumped on the radio and called it in and sat the guy agianst the wall thank god he sustained no major injurys and thank god he had his lid on because the gash running through his lid probly would have been at least 60 stichs yea a 45 min run turned into a 2 hour run with 3 hours of report writing after that

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty2101 View Post
    probly my most memorable call was a general alarm at the sernior citizens home in town i got to the firehouse just as the engine was pulling up jumped on the drivers side as the ladder just as the brakes relased. A firefighter came runing up the side as we pulled away jumped in as we screamed out of the driveway up the street there was a nj state bus stoped on the street we had to turn onto to make the stageing area. With the second due quint on the street with six and us signing on momenets later with 5 we were sent to stageing inset of takeign the front of the building but this is where things went to hell in a hand basket. was we turned onto the busy rode we went to far and over shot the driveway for the stageign area and went into the wrong driveway so 2 guys the officer and the firefighter on my side were orderd off the truck to stop traffic so we could back up and enter the corrct driveway. At this point we were swinging the ladder into the driveway and the nj tansit bus creapt up on us the back end of the ladder swong around pinning the firefighter on the drivers side between the bus and the tail board of the truck this was around xmas time so we had some toy soldiers zip tied to the back of the truck the zip ties snaped which made a hell of a noice covering up the grinding noise of the truck hiting the bus. we pulled into the driveway to get the truck out of the street and looked out the windo and saw the guy who had been pinned wonderign around in the street. we jumped on the radio and called it in and sat the guy agianst the wall thank god he sustained no major injurys and thank god he had his lid on because the gash running through his lid probly would have been at least 60 stichs yea a 45 min run turned into a 2 hour run with 3 hours of report writing after that
    O boy...Sounds like a sticky situation

Forum Member

Default wow

My most memorial call was a 2nd alarm in a 5 story brick, i was on call with my dad, so we heard the alarm and in 9mins, the working fire turned into a two bagger, i wasn't even on the scene yet when the D/C pulled everyone out and initiated a (PAR), so when i got to the scene, heavey smoke, fire showing on all flrs and the n the roof collapsed, but nobody was hurt, thank god, then i wasn't in the field at the time because i was detailed to our community affairs division is which we do an out reach to the community and relocate fire victims burned out of their homes, that was a very hard job for all of a sudden because every fire victim was latin and mexican which i don't speak a drop of spanish, so i needed a translator to find and pal around with me(go figure) so then we needed a temporary facility to store all of the victims, so we went into a Preschool just for the time being, so after that was settelled, some idiot told the fire victims that it was safe for the victims to run inside their apartments
    Last edited by juniorchief248; 06-27-2007 at 03:58 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by juniorchief248 View Post
    My most memorial call was a 2nd alarm in a 5 story brick, i was on call with my dad, so we heard the alarm and in 9mins, the working fire turned into a two bagger, i wasn't even on the scene yet when the D/C pulled everyone out and initiated a (PAR), so when i got to the scene, heavey smoke, fire showing on all flrs and the n the roof collapsed, but nobody was hurt, thank god, then i wasn't in the field at the time because i was detailed to our community affairs division is which we do an out reach to the community and relocate fire victims burned out of their homes, that was a very hard job for all of a sudden because every fire victim was latin and mexican which i don't speak a drop of spanish, so i needed a translator to find and pal around with me(go figure) so then we needed a temporary facility to store all of the victims, so we went into a Preschool just for the time being, so after that was settelled, some idiot told the fire victims that it was safe for the victims to run inside their apartments
    so, so, so, so, so, some, so, so, then, so.
    Wow. What a sentence! I have a head ache from not breathing while reading that.
    So is it PSE&G or PES&G? What do they do? Where does 20,000+ parts per second come in at?
    If you hit the quote button in the bottom left of juniorchief248's comment above, more words show up after a note tag. That's where I found the part about PSE&G/PES&G because your probably wondering since it's not there.

P...P...Please take my advice-
    Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326
    Firehouse is not AIM or YAHOO!. Please use proper grammer and spelling. Some of the senior guys will get on you. Grow up. Act professionally and maturely.
    Last edited by RFxplr326; 06-27-2007 at 03:37 PM.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Talking

Okay, i made a mistake didnt know you would get so sensitive about it. and also PSE&G stands for public service gas and electric.(just for the record)
    Last edited by juniorchief248; 06-27-2007 at 04:04 PM.

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    Well thank you for your comment, and next time you read it you should try and hold your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry4184 View Post
    I agree with ya. Those kinds of people i wanna smack upside the head.

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    So is it PSE&G or PES&G? What do they do? Where does 20,000+ parts per second come in at?
    No kidding. Along with the two thousand so's he had in his post, I don't think he used a period AT ALL. Last time I check when your talking about yourself it's a capital I, and any number under 10 you write it out. Maybe I'm getting a little too picky here though. I learned that stuff in maybe Grade 6.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by juniorchief248 View Post
    Well thank you for your comment, and next time you read it you should try and hold your breath.
    And maybe next time you should post so that it's atleast somewhat understandable "Junior Chief".

So you were "on scene", but not "in the field" because you got detailed to a community affairs division? Isn't the being "on scene" the same as being "in the field" ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    No kidding. Along with the two thousand so's he had in his post, I don't think he used a period AT ALL. Last time I check when your talking about yourself it's a capital I, and any number under 10 you write it out. Maybe I'm getting a little too picky here though. I learned that stuff in maybe Grade 6.
    Psst.... Maybe it's a Canadian thing, but shouldn't that say "Grade SIX"

Just jerkin your chain a little...
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    You're way too picky... you need to calm it down a little bit.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue View Post
    Psst.... Maybe it's a Canadian thing, but shouldn't that say "Grade SIX"

Just jerkin your chain a little...

HAHA. I never even noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out. Nobody's perfect though!

Ryan

Thread Information