Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Boy Scouts and truck riding

I'm just wondering why the boy scouts don't allow explorers to ride the trucks on a full response to a call unless you are already riding to/from a drill. Anybody know????

Im a boy scout (sooo close to Eagle) and i am also an explorer and we are allowed to ride to any call we want as long as the duty capt, lt, and driver of the truck know, and as long as we know what we are doing. Its probally your District, councile or Station SOP that stops you from that.

I am an Advisor with an Explorer Post and I no of no rule that specifically forbids explorers from riding to calls. The only rule that I know of that might apply to the situation is that Explorers may not be substituted for certified firefighters so that may affect the make up of the crew.

Lt. Alan Shaw
    Belltown Fire Department
    Advisor, Explorer Post 135

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

I'm an explorer too and we are allowed to ride every call we want except the usual BS hazmats etc.. but other than that as long as the 2 explorer seats are open we can respond to any call.
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

When I first Started out many many years back...1988 to be exact, I was an Explorer with an Ambulance Squad. We were allowed to ride out as long as there were two senior squad members on the ambulance. We could join at 14 but we're not allowed to ride out until we were 16 and at that time we could be certified as either New Jersey State First Aid Council First Aiders or E.M.T.s and could perform any of the duties associated with being an EMT. That was a few moons ago. I know laws have changed and NJSFAC is no longer considered certification to ride Ambulances at least in N.J. anyway. But you have to remember that was back in the days when we still "Scooped and Ran" with the patients to the hospital with only a little bit of field care. Now it is a whole diffrent system. I personnaly feel the Scouts should be able to ride out as long as there is an insurance policy covering them on either ambulances or fire equipment.
    ***The Opinions expressed here are strictly my own and do not reflect those of the Department to which I am a Member ! ***

Stratford Fire Co. # 1.."Any Job ~ Any Place ~ Any Time"

Check us Out www.stratfordfire.com

I am also an advisor for our explorer post and know of any rule or reg. stating that explorers can't ride on any certain engine/truck etc. Our dept has certain policies set for what they can and can't do so this prohibits them from a couple of the older engines without enclosed seating.
    Take care, good luck with the post

I am a council chair for my area and I brought that up at the last council meeting and the only rule we fount was again the No substitution rule and also that all explorers must be equipped with seatbelts kinda no brainer there... Also just out of our council we recomend to departments that explorers only be allowed to respond on Non-Emergency (Code 1) runs just as a safety from any other liablities.

Not any rule that says what I said last that's just a sugestion we make..
    "A 4x4 **** son plywood comes in bigger sheets than that make that hole bigger boy" There are those out there that know what I mean!!!!!!

Hey amn I dont know where your an explorer but where ever it is GET OUT. If you cant ride the trucks what is the POINT.
    Mike McGinn

MembersZone Subscriber

My previous department (also in southern Ohio - Dan Beard Boy Scout Council) had an explorer post. The explorers were allowed to ride apparatus to scenes on emergency calls as long as they met some fairly simple guidelines:
    1. A station officer had to approve. This approval was pretty much automatic.
    2. They couldn't displace a full member from a first out engine. In this case, they rode the squad to fire scenes.
    3. Only 1 observer (public or explorer) was allowed per EMS call.
    4. All observers (public or explorer) had to ride seated and belted.
    5. The explorers were not allowed to do any interior firefighting. They were absolutely great during overhaul, cleanup, helping with outside lines - anywhere it was safe for them to do so.
    We got several excellent new members from our explorer program.
    Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

i am having the same problem right now with our post. but if there is no law prohibiting it then that is great because out cheif thought there was and that was basically what was stopping us. thanks for your help!

OK, some of you are getting this all wrong. We CAN ride the trucks to training or anything else. We just CANNOT RIDE OUT ON A CALL! The only reason we could ride out to a call is if I were on the truck alraedy going to a training drill, etc. SFDEngCo1, Sorry but I refuse to leave a dept. that i love so much

exp17
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

OK, boys You should all move to L.A. and Be a County fire Explorer!!! We have two types of fire explorers, a non-certified-Which can't ride a long and a Certified fire explorer, which can do 24hr ride a longs, in fact it's required. to get certified we go thru a 6 weekend academy, where we learn hose lays, search and rescue, ropes, ladders, extrication, fire behavior, wildland firefighting, haz mat, and medical. It's fun ive been an explorer for 3 years and have done some 400 hrs of ride a long time, and yes we do go on responses, and in limited capacities help out. Medical we help with 02, patching up people to the AED, CPR, splinting, and in fires overhaul, explosure protection, and lines above ground, we even do training fires. Sometimes we put out dumpster fires, small oven fires, and car fires, but it is few and far inbetween, you need to prove yourself before those even happen. But it's great I love it.

I dont know but it's been told County Explorers are made of gold.....

OK, sorry it took me so long to find it but here are the only rules which exploring has online about responses. The full list can be found at www.learning-for-life.org/exploring/fire.

There are some issues and hazards specific to Fire and Emergency Services Explorer programs that must be considered when organizing a post. These issues are fairly unique compared with other types of Explorer posts, being a direct result of the post's affiliation with the department and the potential for hazards.

Explorers must be equipped with personal protective equipment that is appropriate for the activity being done.

Explorers may not be substituted for trained personnel.

Explorers may be mobilized only as a post, with required leadership. Explorers are not on call as individuals.

Explorers who ride on apparatus or other department vehicles must be seated and must wear a seat belt.

Explorers may not drive department vehicles.

That was all I could find that seemed relevant.

Lt. Alan Shaw
    Belltown Fire Department
    Explorer Post 135
    Stamford, CT

Thread Information