Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Type of Aerial Ladder do you Prefer?

For all those explorers who are truckies(like me!), Would you prefer American LaFrance, Pierce, KME, AerialScope, or Sutphen?

Personal i'd like the the ALF w/ the LTI Platfrom becasue the dept. i belong to has on and it kicks *** the cab is a pos though. a deptment near us has a peirce ladder and it sucks the ladder has a bow in it when its fully extended no people on the tip. but i really like the peirce cabs.

Forum Member

I personally prefer seagraves. they outlast any truck. I've heard that the frames on sutphens break easily. we have a 76 model seagraves rear mount areial and it is an awsome truck.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

We currently have a seagrave... but we ordered a Metz tower/ladder some people think that our town is crazy for buying one because of the price... we ended up spending around $900,000.00... it's also going to be the 3rd of it's kind... curenntly San Francisco has two of them and we will have the third... they are pretty nice the operator has a seat on the turntable... and the turntable pivots so when you park the truck on the hill, the turntable will auto-level itself
    Thank you FDNY, you will never be forgotten

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

SEAGRAVE ALL THE WAY!!
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

We just got a new 2001 American LaFrance with a 93 foot LTI MId Mount.....we LOVE IT. Its a good truck, easy to use, just too much new technology for our Department. Most of our guys are still stuck on our old American LaFrance Telesquirt.
    Kenny Warr Jr.

Waldwick Fire Dept.
    Hawthorne Fire Dept. Engine Co. 3

Currently we have a Mack Ladder which I love. If we got a different one i think i would go with pierce. There are some departments around my area who have American LaFrances. I like American LaFrances but around here companys complain that there are so many problems with them.

We have an American Lafrance/LTI 93' mid-mount that I like a lot. We've had it for a couple of years and everybody seems to be pleased.

SUTPHEN BABY! nice truck
    HFD144

Forum Member

Not an explorer anymore but this is a neat topic. What about Pirsch, Maxim, Grove? They were among the best in there day. We have a Hahn that is like a crane and it is a shame the rest of the truck is a piece of garbage. I really like the looks of the midmount Pierce Towers and that SkyArm Ladder Tower that can "break and bend" the last 10 or so feet to reach over parapets is a really neat innovation. But after alot of thinking I would really like a Pittman, Smorkel or ALF 80-90 foot articulatinig platform.Hey Waldwick, do you guys have a website that has picks of that new truck of yours? We are looking at something like that for the future.
    Proud to be an American, Union Firefighter!

My department has a 95 foot AerialScope/Baker on a Simon Duplex. It's nice and I like it. Hey, if FDNY has all AerialScopes they must be good for something. I like AerialScopes, though I wish it were on a Seagrave or Mack chasis.

Anthony D. Ruggiero
    Explorer Captain/EMT-B
    Windsor Locks Fire Dept. Explorer Post 50
    Windsor Locks, CT

Nothing beats the 89 Mack/Arielscope we have. It was the last one on the production of its type. FDNY ordered around 30 or such so our order was bumped back a few months...Heres my Tower Ladder
    Chris Kerrigan
    ILiveInACage@aol.com
    FireFighter/EMT/HazMat Tech

New Milford Vol. Fire Dept Company #2
    New Milford,NJ

PIERCE ALL THE WAY. THERE'S NO QUESTION THAT PIERCE BUILDS THE BEST FIRE APPARATUS IN ALL FIELDS. IF ANYONE EVER GETS A CHANCE TO TOUR THE LITTLE TOWN OF APPLETON WISCONSIN THEY'LL UNDERSTAND WHERE I'M COMING FROM.

PIERCE, need I say more?
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman..."

Sutphen! Nice design and performace that lasts!

Everyone has their opinions and their favorities.
    Just remember the facts: Operation vs Decoration. Buy what your service area needs, not what you think will win all the parade and convention trophies.
    Also, if you can't maneuver the vehicle from the station to the emergency scene, what good have you done? One FD in my area has a ladder truck that only a couple of personnel are confident enough to drive. It sits in the station if those personnel are not available for the call--what good is that doing the "customer in need"?
    Another point--this will bring back some terrible memories--steel vs aluminum.
    Remember service after the sale--lowest price or flashiest appearance will not hold up in an argument when problems arise.
    The best way to purchase a piece of equipment that will be in your possession for at least 15 years is by committeee with input from all members within the department. Just look back at Mike Wilbur's articles in Firehouse magazine--he wrote some pretty simple rules to follow when specifying a new piece of apparatus and how to follow through until the delivery date.
    I think this is enough said. Just remember it's better to talk to you than to talk about you. Keep each other safe out there.

the ny vol co. that im in has a 98 segrave/lti mid mount tower ladder, its solid as a rock, i love the look of old mack's with the aerialscope tower ladders like FDNY uses, i cant imagine climbing one of thoes with out guard rails, climbing the LTI is a breeze, everyone is getting bigger and bigger trucks for towns that arent growing, and the streets arent getting any wider. manuverablilty seems to be key if you look for a new truck. it will save lots of headache's down the road.
    " truck till the casket drops "

www.lynbrookfd.org

My views and opinions do not represent the views and standards of the Department or Company that I belong to.

Forum Member

Just an FYI the first Metz in the US belongs to a town in Southeastern PA, Kennett Square. It is a nice truck.

I will not even get into the steel vs. aluminum but E-One does have the best jack system in the industry. A total jack spread of just over 13 feet on a 95 foot tower. And you can not "short jack" the truck. I know other manufactures have interlocks but I just prefer to have evry thing in place when my butt is hanging over a building.

I feel if you stay with "big 3"(ALF, Pierce, E-One) you cant go wrong.

Pierce...read my post above. in addition to that mack we have a Pierce 1500gpm lance...that thing is just great. hopefully when out Truck's time is up we'll go with a pierce, so we match.
    Chris Kerrigan
    ILiveInACage@aol.com
    FireFighter/EMT/HazMat Tech

New Milford Vol. Fire Dept Company #2
    New Milford,NJ

Thread Information