Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Career Advice

Default Career Advice

I'm in Colorado on a volunteer department...but I need some serious career advice. Ever since I joined (8 months or so ago) fire department stuff has been all I can think about. I'm considering a career as a firefighter. Are there any pros out there who can give me a straight view of it? How are the hours on your life, what the jobs like with personal relationships, how far the pay goes, etc. Thanks!

All I know is that most paid depts. work 48 hours a week(8 hours the first two days, and 16 hours the last two.)

Thanks! I'm glad someone replied!

Permanently Removed

When I was a full timer we worked We worked 1 on 1 off 1 on 2 off 24 hrs, could sleep from 4 pm to 7 am if we wanted. The pay was not bad, what sucked some times was getting stuck working many calls in the 24 hr time and got no sleep but thats the job. Pay was good, benefits were nice also.

The best advice I can give is don't give up. Up here in Canada the recruitments have thousands applying for a handful of jobs so the competition is fierce. We work an average of 42 hours a week, it can be hard on your family, good pay good benefits, lots of hazards, shorter life expectancy, but still the best job in the world!!

Thanks for all the help! Another question--how intensive is FFI? I was going to take it either this summer or with the 1st semester of college next year. Any suggestions?

Temporarily/No Longer Active Station7Cadet's Avatar
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

FFI is not hard, I don't think so anyway but it does get hot! You will love every minute of it!

We work 24hrs. on 24 off 24 on 24 off 24 on, 4 days off. It works pretty well. The only problem is sometimes you spend your whole 24 hrs. off recovering from being up all 24 hrs. the day before at work. Pay is pretty good. You can support a family on it anyway. One thing to look for is pension and other benefits. Most people get into the pay, when it is the care that they take of you that really matters. Will you be able to afford to retire? Will you be able to see the Dr. that you want? Will your kids be insured if they get really sick? The stuff that really matters.
    FF1 was a pretty good class. go in with a good attitude. The state test here (MI) was alright. Just keep up with the material. I got into the bad habit of PROCRASTINATION. Bad word. Keep up and it wil be fine. There are a lot of study guide books available. You may even be able to split the cost with someone else in your class and make copies. Most bookstores will be able to order it for you if they do not carry it.
    Also, for the class. Hands on. get as much as you can. If you can, get a local fire dept. to help. Ask if you can swing their axe, lift their ladder, hook up to a hydrant. Most dept. have extra stuff so you would not have to mess with their trucks. Ask around, some dept. out there will let you do it. Hands on is really the only way I can get stuff into my head, so that is what I needed to do.
    Good luck.

Thread Information