Default Training with Airpacks, Please read

I was wondering if at training you are allowed to enter a burning building with a pack on? I would like to hear your answers.

Yes. Where I live juniors are allowed to use packs during training exersises in a burning building. Some people think how do you guys get away with it and its crazy to let a junior in a building, but its the only way to really teach them so when they become senior FF's they know what to do. Around here we've had no problems with any junior in a building. Hope that helps

When I was 16 years old I became a Jr. firefighter. By the time I was 18 and able to become a regular member. I was trained in SCBA, CPR, Basic and advanced pumps and so much more. I fight my first major interior attack only 2 weeks after I turned 18. I am 38 now and I am a full time FFII, EMT fire officer I and the training officer of our department and I owe it all to my start as a Jr. firefighter and a strong ambitions.

Forum Member

I started as a Junior and eventually worked my way up. Although I received extensive training prior to my 18th birthday, I was not permitted to enter into a burning building.

If you're department is doing so, good for you and keep it up!! There's no better way to train your junior members and prepare them for their Fire I class.

However, just understand the other side.... the reason why Juniors "can't" enter burning buildings is because child labor laws prevent any person under 18 from entering a hazardous atmosphere.

As long as nobody gets hurt and everyone keeps their mouth shut, nobody is going to say anything. I don't think I would want to be the department's chief if something DID happen though.

.Turk II

You should be able to enter a burning building at the age of 16yrs old with parental consent. I was released as a lead firefighter when I was 16, after completing FFI class.

FFTex.

MembersZone Subscriber

With us, no, it is not permitted in a working structure. However, the National Conference for Fire Explorers says nothing about overhaul or salvage, which is okay, we are trained to that work in our I-A classes (which are required by the dept. in order to train on anything else.

We can but for training only.

Exclamation

We also can wear the air packs but u can;t enter a burning building @ anytime..

MembersZone Subscriber

In New York State juniors/explorers are not supposed to be in "any hazardous situations".

That means they can't go into burning buildings nor are they allowed to even take state sponsered training classes, ie Basic Firefighting.

Not too long ago a dept in New York State got fined big time but the state labor department when a junior firefighter got hurt for being in a hazardous situation and for not having working papers.

I'm not saying I agree with the rules but never the less we must abide by them.

Question

This may be a stupid question, but what is the age group of a junior/explorer. My station won't let you join unless you at least 16yrs old.

FFTex.

MembersZone Subscriber

New York State is 16-18 yrs old.

Here, you can join a department in our district at 13 and be a junior member, but cannot train to be a firefighter until 16. I took the classes when I was 17, and am glad I did. It would have been too bad to get into my first structure fire to find out I had a fear of the SCBA mask. I think juniors should be trained as if they were doing it for real, then when they aren't juniors anymore, they aren't rookies either. I would trust some of the juniors I know with my life over some of the good old boys in the dept. Hope that's encouragement enough for you.
    If you have trouble with SCBA and packs, let me know....I have received plenty of help in that department from some very special people

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: dammitangie ]

Angie

Forum Member

Scot your statement may be true about Junior FF's but not explorers. They can join at 14 and have completed 8th grade. This is set by BSA. They fight fires in our training building and provide us and other FD's w/ a almost fully trained FF when they become 18.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

I joined in my P.A. dept. 1 week after I turned 14 and I have had extensive scba training over the past 2 years. Any training the senior members do we are aloud to do-cutiing apart cars, venting, interior, basically anything. But on fire scenes we are restricted to exterior ground work, and we can not operate hydraulic lines.
    "Real Heros wear SCBA, Not Capes!"<br />

<a href="http://www.newhollandfire.net" target="_blank">www.newholland fire.net</a> **department website**

<a href="http://www.lancasterfire.com" target="_blank">www.lancasterf ire.com</a><br />**county website**

At my deparment you can go to the fire but can not the building.

At my company we are able to pack up for anything that involves training excerise.. We do alot with air packs, for the 2 years I have been in the fire company we have done alot with air packs..also alot of drills and compentions(friendly)

But we have fun with the training we have and it teaches alot about what could happen and how it feels to wear on..
    "Go in as a team, Come out as a team"

MembersZone Subscriber

Fitguy, I stand corrected, Explorers do have different guidelines than juniors.
    We run a junior program in our dept and the minimun age is 16 with a parents permision, etc....
    One thing I do know for sure is the training they recieve. We just had a junior member (17 yrs old) get kicked out of a state sponsered Basic FF class because of being under the age of 18.
    We have sent Juniors for state training in the past and never had a problem until now.
    I forget the exact wording, but the letter we recieve from the county said that no one under the age of 18, whether junior or explorer, can participate in state sponsered classes.
    Now we're, unfortunatly, limited to doing in house drill with them with black out masks and the like.

Thread Information