Thread: Basic Training

Question Basic Training

I'm looking into basic training drills that can be done w\ cadets and jr.ff's using actual tool's(axes, halogen bar, shovels) hoselines,(booster and 1" 3/4 speedlay) they can involve hays in barrels to training videos anything at all
    thanks
    brian
    BRIAN

IACOJ Agitator

Find someone who has the Fire Service Instructor manual from IFSTA. In the back they have a bunch of props, one of which is used for forcible entry. Back in the day when I was a junior, our advisor and his brother made a door out of steel modelled after the prop in that book. The door used wood to "lock" it, allowing it to be used over and over again. Every now and then it would start to get dented, but was usually able to be fixed with a sledge hammer. It was pretty fun being able to pop open the door and it taught us needed skills. I am not sure if every edition of the manual has it, but I know the 5th edition does.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Greetings fellow Middlesex County firefighter,

One of the more basic drills that we have gone through, is basic S&R, fill up a room with a smoke generator, put a lot of objects in the way, and have the cadets put on a SCBA mask (if u can pack up or not is a dept thing, we cant so we just used the mask) and place their Nomex hood over the front so they cant see, then have them go in teams of 2 along the wall with an axe or a halligan or whatever and have them get the basic feel of search and rescue in zero visibilty, minus the luxury of Thermal Imaging Camera.

If I think of anything else, I'll post again, but that's a start.

Look around your first due area for houses or buildings that are going to be torn down. It would be great training. You could have them drag a charged hoseline through while filled with smoke, Breeching walls, doing s&r, on the roof cutting vent holes....etc.

As SFDAJL stated, it all depends on dept. regulations as to the extent of what they can do but set up different scenario's that might actually happen.
    "Real Heros wear SCBA, Not Capes!"<br />

<a href="http://www.newhollandfire.net" target="_blank">www.newholland fire.net</a> **department website**

<a href="http://www.lancasterfire.com" target="_blank">www.lancasterf ire.com</a><br />**county website**

Wink

GO TO FIRE SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information