Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Fireground Rehab

I was just curious whatyour input was on fireground rehab. Do you find when you are at a fire scene rehab is a necessary factor. I help run a Rehab Unit in Massachusetts and around here this is a vital part of fire opperations. I was just curious as to what your input was on it. Thanks, happy holidays and stay safe.

Cool

From my state of Sunny Florida where it is still managed to hit 81 again today. I am all for rehab but not in the full scale operations that I sometimes see it. I talking liquids, cooling of the internal body temps and shade, and after your 3rd air bottle a brief rest and maybe your BP checked. I see at some of our calls with neighboring towns a lunch wagon pull up with a mini smorgasbord and then they set up a medical center that looks like my annual physical. I know we are there to take care of our own but some like to over do it I think. Someday I'm sure a couple of easy chairs might show up on the scene, now we're talkin' Like I say liquids are fine, in my area most of the responding units already have a 3 or 5 gallon ice bucket and small quanities 3-8 bottles of sports drinks either gator or power ade and even bottled water for those that need sugar free stuff, and in most cases this gets us through a good 98% of our calls all year long. I can't really speak much for cold weather rehab tho do to my climate, in the few cases when we have had extremly cold temps we usually find a convience/donut/fast-food type place and purchase something hot for those that think they need it but usually non cold bottles of the same drinks as mentioned above work here too. We are also lucky to have a top notch Fire based EMS system, so we have advanced life support units on scene with us most all the time at least until the late stages of picking up our equipment, so we are covered there in case some one needs something more than a drink, sometimes a quick IV has done wonders. All in all, yes rehab of even a small scale is necessary at anytime and any type of call. Does a cooler of ice and 3 bottles of drinks rate the term rehab? I think it does, and Yes the large scale Canteens have there place too, so go with what your community needs.

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. I agree it does not have to always be full scale operations. I have read stories on here about firefighters being pulled out for full rehab at a small kitchen fire. I think that is taking it a little to far. Basically we make sure that the firefighters condition does not deteriorate while work a fire scene. If it is going to be extended operations or a large fire the safety officer and rehab officer will coordinate and will decided weather there will be a need for full opps. Usually in the summer there is a larger need for it then in the winter. Our primary goal in the winter is to make sure that the firefighters keep warm and take breaks at large fires so they do not become exhausted to the point where it may affect there decision making. Thanks again for the reply and have a good holiday.

In our department rehab is not the most important thing on-scene but it is a good thing to have.
    "A greater love hath no man than this...."

Thread Information