Chief *
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry NO MORE MINITOR 2'S

I JUST FOUND OUT TODAY FROM MOTOROLA THAT THEY HAVE DISCONTINUED THE MINITOR 2 IN ALL BANDS. I WAS ALSO INFORMED THAT THE MINITOR 3 WILL NOT BE OUT TILL JANUARY OF 2000. THATS IF EVERYTHING GOES ACCORDING TO PLAN. I HAVE HEARD THAT ONE BEFORE, THE MINITOR 3 WAS SUPPOSED TO BE OUT 2 YEARS AGO. ANY WAY TO GET TO MY POINT. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATLEY NO EMERGENCY SERVICE AGENCY CAN PURCHASE ANY TYPE OF MINITOR FOR ALERTING PURPOSES, FROM NOW UNTIL WHEN EVER THE MINITOR 3 BECOMES AVAILABLE. I THINK THAT STINKS! I WILL BE CONTACTING MOTOROLA AGAIN TO TELL THEM THIS. NOT THAT IT WILL DO ANY GOOD. MY DEPARTMENT HAS SPENT OVER $45,000 ON MOTOROLA EQUIPMENT. I SURE HOPE THAT THEY STILL MAKE PARTS FOR THE MINITOR 2'S WE HAVE OVER 30. IF ANYONE IS LOOKING TO BUY MINITORS ANYTIME SOON, GOOD LUCK YOU WILL BE WAITING AWHILE. I WOULD URGE ALL CHIEFS THAT USE MINITORS TO CONTACT MOTOROLA AND TELL THEM TO HURRY UP WITH THE MINITOR 3 SO THAT OUR PERSONNEL CAN BE ALERTED.

pyroknight
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

My department got a bunch of new Minitor IIIs a couple months ago. What worries me more than Motorola's crappy service is the loss of VHF and UHF frequencies. (*Example of crappy service - model number on the bottom of desk charger is different if you want a power cord. The cord has its own number and when you buy them together, that's another number. If you need to replace your charger, you can't just order the number on the bottom, and once you get your charger, the number on the bottome doesn't match the invoice!*) Once again the fire service has been caught with our pants down. We have stood idly by while Motorola, GE, et al pushed 800 service on us through the FCC. No one knows when a pager will be available for 800 mHz, we just know that when they are, they will cost 10 - 50 times more than the Minitors that served us so well for so many years. It wasn't broke, why did we have to fix our communications systems? The fire service should have DEMANDED that business take 800 first and get the kinks out before we put our lives and those of our citizens on the line with trunked systems.

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

We just ordered four more Minitor IIIs, and we were told that they would not be shipping any VHF-High with voice save until January because of a hardware problem in the original models (we have three of these and have had no trouble, by the way). VHF-low and UHF models aren't due out until next year. If you're looking for UHF Minitor IIs, www.pwservice.com had some leftovers for sale last time I looked.

jpwmenom
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Our department received about 30 of the minitor 3 pagers this spring. (155mz range) We have been less than satisfied with their performance, it doesnt seem that they have the reception that the minitor 2s did. With the voice record option, you are not able to set the pagers to remain "open" once paged, and if the signal is poor, the pager resets, and you miss the remainder of the message. anyone else having problems with the minitor 3 pagers???

Chief2
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have had Minitor III's in the 154 range for 6 months. Problems abound with these, including the band select switch "moving" on it's own, the "scan" option doesn't work right, and you can't get it programmed in by any local suppliers anymore, reception is bad to say the least, and they're not very sturdy when it comes to "velocity testing".

I can say that the battery life is longer than the Monitor II's though!

Tower33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Motorola has had a world of problems since they began production of the Minitor III model. They have had to stop production a number of times to fix minor to major concerns from what I understand. Some of these problems include what has been mentioned like reception and reseting without getting alerts. I think it was their web site that I read that they, upon finding this out immediately stopped production and contact department who might have recieved faulty units. I thought that they began shipping again after fixing the problems except for one feature which was discontinued. Check out their page at www.motorola.com and it should provide info on the situation.

Chief *
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

I have just heard from a pretty reliable source that motorola is going to discontinue all minitors. this means that they are no longer going to make a voice pager. it is also my understanding that they are not going to make parts either. this would be detrimental to my department. we have about 35 minitor 2's and not having parts to fix them would really stink! furthermore if we had to replace one, what would you replace it with? anyone else heard this? let me know!

Batt #2
    Firehouse.com Guest

The county my Fd is in just passed a 911 tax increase. we purchased over 200 Motorola Minitor III. The system we were looking at cost in the area of 2 to 2.5 million for the whole county. The Minitor III has a lot of problems .
    Motorola just contacted us and said they would be sending the new Minitor III in the next 3o days for a test trial. I am very unhappy with the pager and the new Motorola handheld 1250 . The scan option on the handheld is poor.
    I looked at the Kenwood handheld. Kenwood does not make a pager, but the handheld is a very good radio.

------------------

mpkane
    Firehouse.com Guest

A lot of providers have gone to standard alpha-numeric pagers that work with the CAD system. When the call is assigned, the CAD automatically alerts the group assigned to the incident. You can specify what info to transmit for a standard dispatch as well as transmit updates to groups or individual pagers. If you have CAD in place or have a computer with a modem at your dispatch, this can be a cheap, reliable way to get around "The Great Minitor Freezout."

Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

MP, you beat me to the punch!

It stinks that Motorola is effectively abandoning the public safety market since they made such excellent equipment for us for so many years. But the money's in Cellular and Alpha pagers, so that's were the investments go.

But instead of crying in our collective milk, this is the time to move notification up the next notch, equivelant from when we shifted from Sirens & Air Horns & Telephone Trees in the early 70s to Voice Pagers. It is time to move to alpha numeric paging.

Just read the screen. No more missed dispatches or mis-hearing the dispatcher. No more Bon fires turning into Barn fires.

Dispatch needs to send confidential information? No problem -- just send it and the whole of scannerdom won't hear it.

And...
    If we really do it right and go with 2 way paging...
    The pagers first acknowledge the unit received the message (so no one can use the excuse any more "Oh, the pager didn't go off! This thing NEVER works!" when they roll over)
    Plus, members reading the page could press a button or two to acknowledge "Responding" or a choice from a menu or replies.
    Think -- no more waiting a 2 am trying to figure out if everyone on the ambulance crew is coming -- dispatch let's you know it got 4 people who replied responding. Or, a couple minutes into a structure fire call the dispatch center calls the Chief and lets him know 30 people have replied responding...or 3 people replied.

Oh well...

By the way, while we're no way that fancy, we just use plain old Alphanumeric pagers that are issued to about half the department, and about a quarter of our members including me relie on them exclusively when we're not home.

mpkane
    Firehouse.com Guest

To take it a step further, Atlanta and select other areas have interactive paging. It requires, however, a digital paging system in your area. The pager is about the size of a pack of smokes and has a small keyboard on the front (it is not very friendly for the over 40 set.) Not only can you recieve pages, you can send text messages via e-mail using the pager. Real valuable especially if you're on a job that requires confidential info. It's really the next leap!
    Mike.

Jeff801
    Firehouse.com Guest

Alpha paging can work, but you can have problems. Our Department next to us has had a problem with not all alphapagers were activating. In the houston area the pager load is high and they have missed calls from cell tower repairs. Dispatch will not know if a tower is down. Also, once en route, they can't here the additional info.

It is a start, but that "Is not my final answer".

Safety Jeff

pvfr fyrfyter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

for those using alpha pagers? what frequencies are they available in? Can they be tied into computer aided dispach using dedicated phone lines. I live in a town that is about 35 miles from the 911 dispatch, and also about 100to 150 feet higher in elevation. Am interested if alphas are available in low band vhf and using a computer network tied to radio's in the towns for dispatch instead of relying on multiple repeaters in highband vhf in a high lightning area. we've lost about a half dozen antenna's and or radio guts to lightning in the last 5 years. any help is appreciated.

mpkane
    Firehouse.com Guest

All good questions, but questions that are better asked of the local pager service providers. Give them a call and shop around for what best suits your application.

fayette dist #1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Our dept started switching over to the Minitor III's 2 or three months ago. They've been recalled twice already (see pages 26-27 in January 2000 firehouse magazine.) i hate them I don't get half our pages anymore. The dispatch will come in clear but I'd have to push down on the button to hear it. Minitor II's ARE MUCH BETTER.
    <HR>
    stay safe

Forum Member

Question

What happens at night calls? How do the alpha numeric pagers wake you up?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by junior4now
    6 years later the answer is they alpha pagers make noise too.

BTW how did you finda 6 year old post like this?
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

MembersZone Subscriber

Six years later...as of the other day, Motorola has discontinued anything to do with Minitor II's. Service, Parts, etc.. has ceased.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by needlejockey
    6 years later the answer is they alpha pagers make noise too.

BTW how did you finda 6 year old post like this?

maybe he did a search, and found what he was looking for.

I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80
    Six years later...as of the other day, Motorola has discontinued anything to do with Minitor II's. Service, Parts, etc.. has ceased.

Although the DEPOT is no longer supporting Minitor II repairs,
    there are hundreds of dealers, and aftermarket dealers that
    support the Minitor II's, and there are still many parts
    available from that resource, as well as from Motorola.

Beware of dealers that say there is no support whatsoever....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by junior4now
    Take it off Vibrate Mode and select an audible mode. -- Most Alpha Pagers have somewhere in the area of 8 diffrent "jingles" if you will and beleive me they can wake you

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Alpha..............

We use Alpha Pagers, Nextels, and Minitors. Between the three of them, the Text thru the Nextel phone is the best.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    We use Alpha Pagers, Nextels, and Minitors. Between the three of them, the Text thru the Nextel phone is the best.
    I'm jealous, our Nextel's have no service half the time

Thread Information