Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Romania
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wow! There are some confucing systems out there!

------------------
    Alan Romania, CEP
    romania@uswest.net
    IAFF Local 3449

My Opinions do not reflect the opnions of the IAFF or Local 3449.

pvfr fyrfyter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

our system seems pretty simple to me. there are three parts to a vehicle #. the first is its town or station #. the second part is its radio type. the third factor is only used if you have multiple items of the same type in one station.
    my example is my own station:
    my town is #6 alphabetically so all radio id's start with 6
    the following system is used county wide so everyone knows what each id is for.
    01 to 09 are dept. officers(usually assigned with handheld radios)
    10 to 19 are ambulances or rescue squads( title is determined by equipment carried but both have the primary responsibility for patient transport)
    20 to 29 are grass(brush) units (typically 4X4 pickups with skid units
    30 to 39 are pumpers(engines) for those departments that have units owned separately by town or rural district boards town units usually start with 30 and rural with 35.
    40 to 49 ar tankers (generally the higher the number the larger the tank)
    50 to 59 are trucks (ladders, platforms, snorkels)
    60 to 69 are utility or equipment vehicles (some areas call them heavy rescues, cascade units, etc.)
    anything over 69 is free use for the assigning dept. including additional officers above that first ten and also extra handheld units.
    hope this might help.
    if you have questions give me an e-mail at:
    hamer67@aol.com

mpkane
    Firehouse.com Guest

Broward Co. FL used the plain languange designation for the apparatus, ie. Engine, Ladder, Squirt, Rescue, etc. The numbering was determined by when the station was opened, ie. first station is Station 1, 30th is Station 30, etc. If additional apparatus of the same classification is assigned to a station or division, a prefix is added, ie, Engine 163, Training 363, Rescue 152, etc.
    The plain language designations and the chronological numbering dovetailed with the Med radio designations for EMS units and was rather easy to adapt to. It also made for smoother indentification in multi-agency responses. I hope that is not too confusing.

fayette dist #1
    Firehouse.com Guest

In our county each station has a hundred number. For example we're Station 200.
    The officers are 201(chief)-212(Lieut.)but numbers 206-210 are reserved for trucks. 216-299 are firefighters.

bmfpd821
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our district is one of 9 agencies in a county with two dispatch centers. We recently changed our system to meet what our new communications group is implementing.

Each agency will be numbered 1-9 and will use three digit numbers. Our number series is 8. 800 to 809 are for district officers. 81 numbers will represent the station which is presently 3 with potential to grow to 9. The third digit designates the specific unit. We also use plain english to clarify.
    Engine 810 is a class A pumper.
    Engine 811 is a fast atack engine
    Brush 810 is a brush truck.
    Fire 810 is the top ranking officer.

This allows for wide diversity, but uniformity by assigning all equipment in the stations to a number that matches other stations.

We have only been doing this for 6 months, but it is working well so far.

pwduffy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Looks like the system is too simple!!
    The Fire Chief Chief 1
    The Deputy Chief Chief 2
    The Asst on shift Chief 3

From Station 1 Engine 11
    Rescue 1
    Ladder 10
    From Station 2 Crash 21
    Crash 22
    From Station 3 Engine 31
    Engine 32 reserve
    Tanker 33
    From Station 4 Crash 41
    Crash 42
    Brush 43
    From Station 5 Engine 51
    HAZ-MAT 5
    Easy huh, if we respond to a mutual aid call we are Ft. Bragg Engine # responding.
    We respond with Cumberland County and the City of Fayetteville, in NC

------------------
    P.W. Duffy
    Captain, Fire Prevention
    Fire Emergency Services
    Ft. Bragg,NC

BC White
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I guess if you are used to a way of doing things, change can be hard (ever find that in our business?)But change is good. It sure is interesting to see how differently things are done in other parts of the country.
    I agree with dc45b......keep it simple if the size of your county/district will allow.
    Our county is broken into districts. My district is district 9.
    We have 3 stations, soon to be 4.
    Station 91:
    Battalion 9
    Eng. 91
    Ladder 91
    Rescue 91 (heavy rescue)
    Tanker 91
    Ambulance 91

Station 92
    Eng. 92
    Amb. 92
    Grass 92 (brush truck)
    Boat 92

Others stations follow the same.
    Station 71
    Eng. 71

Station 81
    Eng. 81
    And so on.

Each separtment's district is the 1st number of their station.

The apparatus follow the station number. An Eng. is an Eng., an Amb. is an Amb. Easy to remember. Ask for what you need when you need it.

When we only had one station with 3 Eng's. the numbers remained the same, and were dispatched in order as needed.
    Chief officer's:
    Car 91=Chief
    Car 902=Dep. Chief of Admin.
    Car 903=Dep. Chief of Ops.
    Car 904=EMS Division Chief
    Car 905=Division Chief Fire Investigation
    Car 906=Division Chief of Training
    Car 907=Division Chief of Support Services
    If any division has personnel under them a simple change:
    An assistant under the training division (or a shift instructor) would be 960. Any additional assistants would be 961, 962, and so on.
    Any time we can make it easier on our people and our dispatchers.......we all win.
    Any questions, e-mail me.
    Thanks

BC White
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I guess if you are used to a way of doing things, change can be hard (ever find that in our business?)But change is good. It sure is interesting to see how differently things are done in other parts of the country.
    I agree with dc45b......keep it simple if the size of your county/district will allow.
    Our county is broken into districts. My district is district 9.
    We have 3 stations, soon to be 4.
    Station 91:
    Battalion 9
    Eng. 91
    Ladder 91
    Rescue 91 (heavy rescue)
    Tanker 91
    Ambulance 91

Station 92
    Eng. 92
    Amb. 92
    Grass 92 (brush truck)
    Boat 92

Others stations follow the same.
    Station 71
    Eng. 71

Station 81
    Eng. 81
    And so on.

Each department's district is the 1st number of their station.

The apparatus follow the station number. An Eng. is an Eng., an Amb. is an Amb. Easy to remember. Ask for what you need when you need it.

When we only had one station with 3 Eng's. the numbers remained the same, and were dispatched in order as needed.
    Chief officer's:
    Car 91=Chief
    Car 902=Dep. Chief of Admin.
    Car 903=Dep. Chief of Ops.
    Car 904=EMS Division Chief
    Car 905=Division Chief Fire Investigation
    Car 906=Division Chief of Training
    Car 907=Division Chief of Support Services
    If any division has personnel under them a simple change:
    An assistant under the training division (or a shift instructor) would be 960. Any additional assistants would be 961, 962, and so on.
    Any time we can make it easier on our people and our dispatchers.......we all win.
    Any questions, e-mail me.
    Thanks

cacfpd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Geeee. It seems that I have had it very easy on this one.
    We do not have a department in the county that has 10 or more pieces of apparatus (other than the city guys).
    In our department all apparatus is numbered from 1 to 8 (yep thats 8 pieces of rolling stock)Engines are called engines, tankers are called tankers, a brush truck is called a brush truck, the equipment truck is called a equipment truck.
    They are identified by the department name/type of apparatus/number
    Central Adams Engine 1
    Central Adams Brush Truck 2
    Central Adams Tanker 3
    Central Adams Equipment truck 4
    Central Adams Engine 5
    Central Adams Tanker 6
    Central Adams Engine 7
    Central Adams Tanker 8

You may note that the apparatus is numbered in no particular order.
    10 is the chief
    11 is the asst. chief
    other numbers up to 19 are for other officers.
    20 and above are for firefighters.

------------------

K L Westcot
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Many ways to go! We in Oconto Co. WIsconsin for Fire use a 4 # code, Each station or Dept. is given a # Ours for Pensaukee is 1700. Largest or MAIN Engine would be 01 so ours is 1701. All other equipment on wheels gets from 02-10 in any order. from 11-99 is for each firefighters own radio #. When the County went with the 911 system they recomended the numbering this way. The 911 system gets a copy of Equipment and individuals #'s. Most Departments call for mutual aid for water tankers or everything. Not sure of the system for EMS, think they have # then each person a # so may be like this and in previous posts. Unit 30-11 All EMT units have just a 2 digit #.

Keep it safe

Thread Information