Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 75' quints

FDFEDQ682328
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking 75' quints

HELLO ALL. MY FIRE DEPT. IS IN THE MARKET TO BUY A NEW 75' QUINT. I AM ON THE SPEC. BOARD TO FIND THE "BEST ONE" FOR OUR NEEDS. -YEAH RIGHT- ANWWAY, ANY GENERAL IDEAS OR PROS & CONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. MY DISTRICT IS APPROX. 100 SQUARE MILES. WE HAVE EVERYTHING FROM INERSTATE HIGHWAYS TO TIGHT NARROW DIRT ROADS. THE TRUCK WILL BE A FIRST DUE PIECE OF APPARATUS IN ITS ZONE ON ALL CALLS FROM MEDICAL TO STRUCTURE FIRE,WORKING W/ A 2 MAN CREW. *THANKS*

mongofire_99
    Firehouse.com Guest

75' quint has roughly 64' stick, subtract 8' or so from that for truck width and jack spread set back and you get 56' of straight off the side reach. Add 6' for a vehicle parallel parked in the street and your down to 50' of straight off the side reach (also consider yards, building setback, cars parked long ways...).

Is less than 50' enough to get where you need to get?

Capez
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

What are you looking for this thing to do?
    What is the most common type of structure in your town? 75' quints are really just pumpers with a small water tank and a master stream that you can put more than 10' above the ground. Forget about maintaining a collaps zone on anything higher that 2 stories. Oh and I wouldn't recommend trying to put it in anyones' driveway. either go 105' or don't go.

FRED
    Firehouse.com Guest

As has already been said in previous posts a 75' stick is very limited. If you do get one, get it with a pinable waterway this enables you to keep the ladder pipe out of the way unless you need it for defensive ops. If you don't it becomes nearly impossible to get the recomended 3-4 rungs over the roof and still safely dismount and mount the ladder.
    It is very embarasing to try to reach an upper floor or roof and fall short of the objective in front of the people who you are there to help. (i.e. the tax payers)
    Also don't forget about weight on the axles...It sounds like you might have some rural areas with low load capacities per axle type bridges. Remember Putting on all of that (ladder,hose,water, pump) makes the truck heavy to begin with, consider how much equipment you will pack on the rig this will help you with the number of axles to spec.

[This message has been edited by FRED (edited June 01, 2000).]

Thread Information