Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Adze
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Applicant Screening

At our recent Board of Directors meeting, we had a discussion about doing a more thorough check on our applicants.

I recall seeing in here somewhere about people doing psychological and physical evaluations of their applicants. I mentioned that and someone also mentioned about possible doing a police background check.

I was wondering if anyone does this kind of thing, and if so, can you give me some information. I am in Connecticut, so if anyone in Connecticut does this, it would be especially helpful.

Thank you.

JDMcLean
    Firehouse.com Guest

We do criminal history background checks through the state police (I'm in Virginia). It costs $15 or so, we (the department)pay for it and it's worth every penny.

DRA-252
    Firehouse.com Guest

New applicants are subjected to a physical exam, criminal history check, license check and have to provide three references. They have to attend a meeting for a personal inteview. The fire commissioners then vote on the application. If successful, there is a 6 month probationary period. All firefighters have a weekly drivers license check and an annual physical.

Thread Information