Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

I'm just curious LHS and mongofire_99, why are you guys so aggressively defending ISO? I don't really have an opinion on this subject so I'm not trying to stir the pot. I just don't understand the reasoning behind being so aggressive. It comes across to me as if you are being personally attacked by people who don't like ISO. Is ISO really that good?

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

At the risk of sounding condescending Standpipe, did you notice the dates on the earlier posts in this thread? Occasionally these old threads get bumped back to life after being forgotten, intentionally or not.

So you'll know, LHS contributed much to these forums, particularly about ISO. His style was abrasive at times (which some could argue is quite an understatement), but he definitely knew what he was talking about. He was passionate about the benefits of ISO improvements that can be passed on to the people of the community served by a fire department. Your'e likely to find other folks here equalyy passionate about other fire service topics.

Sadly, LHS - Larry Stevens - took his own life a while back leaving a fire service that is poorer for his passing.

If ISO matters are of interest to you, I'd suggest searching the forums for some more of his posts - there's a wealth of information there.

I'm sorry if my ramble comes across like I'm trying to treat you like a rookie, because I'm trying to be helpful (and tactful) which, like sarcasm, doesn't always come across well on the internet.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

I'm sorry to hear that Larry Stevens died. That is too bad that a person who wants to contribute so much is not around anymore.

Thank you for pointing out the dates. I had noticed the dates but hoped that my post may get a response since the topic was back up towards the top. I'm not interested in researching ISO so much, but thought that maybe one of those guys could spark a reason. Usually if someone is that passionate about something, then it is worth looking into more.

Forum Member

Default CAFS Reduced hazard ISO discount

Quote Originally Posted by Standpipe
    Usually if someone is that passionate about something, then it is worth looking into more.
    Does anyone know of a specific insurance company that offers the CAFS risk reduction discount provided by the Senate Bill 1610 which was signed into Texas Law back in 1999? I know the Texas State Insurance Commission offers the Texas Addendum to give 1.5 points off the ISO rating, but I believe the insurance companies can offer the same discount directly to the customers.

The Senate Bill compelled the insurance companies to give a discount equal to having a fire hydrant within 1,000 feet of the protected property.
    Mark Cummins

Forum Member

Default ISO and Larry Stevens

Contrary to the rumor.... ISO is not going anywhere. They are a world wide company that is stronger than the US govenrment as far as resources go. Inspite of what you may hear from some insurance companies, most insurance companies take advantage of ISO's services, they have to as the cost to perfom the services on their own would break most companies.

A while back State Farm reported that they would not be using ISO any longer, however, after a 3 year period on their own they undertook a joint venture with ISO to GPS every property in the US and tie insurance rates to the GPS location in relation to the responding fire departments.

One important note here is that if an insurance company will not recognize ISO, you will find one that does, and once located it pays to shop around.

As far as Larry Stevens goes, you either loved him or hated him, but whatever your stance, you had to admit that he really knew his stuff.

When Larry passed away his widow and I had many conversations concerning what to do with ISO Slayer. After much thought it was decided that I would continue to run ISO Slayer and maintain the level of professionalism that Larry established. We are still open for business and have several success stories already. Just ask Chief McGee at Groveland Township Fire Department in Holly, Michigan. Also Check out our web sight.

Regards,

SeagravesStick

Thread Information