firemedic1979
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Life expectancy of Ambulance

Is there any recommendations, standards or what ever (other than the manufacturer who is trying to sell you a new bus) on the age or mileage of front line EMS units.

If your state, county or whatever has a policy of when they will take a unit out of front line service, that would help also.

My CO. just cancelled a new vehicle order, saying that we would have to wait 6months before they would CONSIDER an order. Currently, every unit (8) is over 100,000 most 120-140,000.

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Have you considered buying a demo unit? This is the seasons for Fire/Rescue shows all over the country...many times you attend one of these and you'll see a sign that says "this unit is available for sale"...it would beat waiting 6 months or so!

------------------
    Firefighters: Today's heroes protecting everyone's tomorrows!
    Captain Gonzo

firemedic1979
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unfortunately, WE are the Line medics. Our administrator has tried all scenarios, the bean counter cannot understand why we need to buy new one's.

Go Figure,

THanks

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Ahhh...dealing with a bean counter put this in a whole new light!

It's amazing that bean counters know everything about anything... and nothing about the fire/rescue/ems services.

Here's a way to do it...

1. Total up the cost of repairs and general maintenance for the present rigs, and project the necessary expenses for the next 6 months to a year.

2. Using the average mileage, break down the expenses per mile traveled.

3. Total up the cost of replacing the fleet. This can be done for an "all at once" replacement or a staggered replacement.

4. Total up the estimated costs of preventive maintenance on the new rigs (most initial repairs should be covered under warranty)

5. Figure in the income lost when a rig goes out of service and mutual aid gets called in (and bills the patient for services)

6. Figure the income from the EMS services and how much of this goes towards ambulance replacement.

7. Break this down to an annual and daily average cost per tax bill.

8. Further break this down to an annual and daily cost per resident serviced by the community/district.

9. Compare the figures of purchasing new versus throwing money into rigs that will have to be replaced later on down the road (literally, and end up costing more $$$!) .

10. A bean counter understands dollars and cents, not common sense. Putting the need for new EMS rigs into terms that they can relate with will help the cause!

------------------
    Firefighters: Today's heroes protecting everyone's tomorrows!
    Captain Gonzo

ALSfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Firemedic,

I understand your situation. I really know of no standard as far as when an ambulance should be replaced. To me it would factor on a couple things: First, is it costing more to maintain it in a year then it would cost for the lease on a new one, and does it look like its been through a million accidents. I know they get dents, and ambulances don't save lives, but if I was laying on the ground I wouldn't want to see a nasty, banged up bus coming to get me.

-------------------------------------------
    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

Rescuespike
    Firehouse.com Guest

Firemedic,

We currently replace or rigs every seven years. This works out to be about 100,000 miles. I am trying to drop the years to 5. This would give a better resale value of the unit and maintenance costs usually increase at around 60,000 to 80,000. I also have never heard of any standard for replacement.

Just a side note, there are co-ops that specialize in reducing prices for EMS supplies, including ambulances, for a yearly membership fee. The last one that we joined costed $75 a year and the reduction on ambulances was about $10,000.

Chris Schultz
    Mountain Ambulance www.rescue70.org

ceno2749
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We try to replace our ambulance every 5 years or so.

Our experience with ambulances is that the Type I, Type II, and Type IIIs last for about five years. Our ambulances built on medium duty chasis last for ten years. Another thing that you may want to consider is to refurbish or re-chasis the ambulance, this could help save some money. We are about to receive a brand new medic master on a freightliner FL-50, we are also about to re-chasis an International ambulance to a freightliner chasis. The overall matinence for the medium duties are less and eventhough the original cost is more, they last longer.

Forum Member

Good luck with the ambuli...
    Here in Richmond, VA, there isn't enough money to buy new ambulances. I'm not sure of the exact ages of their trucks (6-8 years, and a lot of them over 200K). AMR can't figure out why people are leaving in droves. Guess it hasn't occurred to them that when you make people spend 12-16 hour shifts (system status management!) sitting in an ambulance that may or may not have AC, has NO padding left on the seats (which are broken) and has pieces falling off during calls, they don't want to stick around! I've heard of air horns coming off the top of the cab and a gearshift that broke off while the ambulance was being moved on the scene of an interstate MVA. I don't work for them, either. I've just talked to the medics that have had trucks break down on them with patients, and the idea of a company allowing their equipment to get that bad is absolutely pathetic.

At the squad I work with, westart looking at replacing the rigs at about 55K-60K miles. That's about 6-7 years of service. We're lucky to get donations from the community to help us replace them as often as we do. We are a non-profit, private squad running 2 Bruans. One is a 95 with about 50K (gonna look at replacing that next year) and a 2000 Bruan that we got last Jan.
    HELL YEAH!!!
    The comments made by me are just that. Not of the Fire dept or Ambulance squad I am on.

Thread Information