Captain Mike
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post ISO - on the way out?

I have recently heard that the use of ISO and ISO standards for fire departments is being phased out, although I'm not sure what, if anything, is replacing it.
    Has anybody heard a similar story regardign ISO?
    Thanks much.

------------------
    Captain Michael Guy
    Lyons Fire Protection District
    Lyons, Colorado

Steamer
    Firehouse.com Guest

I know that State Farm is moving in the direction of loss history based premiums. My homeowners policy is through Farmer's Insurance, and they had a notice in my last statement that they were going to an "experience rating plan". Apparently, it's based on an areas loss history. I haven't seen the details on State Farm's program, but I can't help but wonder if this is the same thing?
    Is anybody else seeing this with other companies?

------------------
    Steve Gallagher
    Chillicothe (Ohio) Fire Department

Captain Mike
    Firehouse.com Guest

Oops - after posting this question, I noticed another question on ISO located in this section, now with 17 replys. See you there.

WGH
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yes I have heard that State Farm Ins. is looking at developing their own rating scale. I have had some sales reps call and aske several questions about our department. How much water do you carry, # of engines/tankers, # of personal(volunteer/paid), responce time, $ loss, mutal/automatic aid, etc.

I think this would be a great idea if we removed the ISO from the picture. Right now we are a 6,9,10. This is because we have know hydrants to the south of us and their computer will only allow us to drive a max. of 30 mph. We carry over 6000 gallons of water between our 1 engine, 2 engine/tankers and 1 tanker. We also have automatic aid with several other departments that are less than 10 miles away.

Our 1st out engine carries 750 gallons of water and in all reality if we need more water than that the structure is most likely going to be a total loss. It all depends on early notifcation and quick response.

The ISO is very strong here in Louisiana. We are a new department and have just got rated. Went from a no rating (10) to a 6. As far as WDH posted about the 30MPH limit, That has been changed the new time table they use is based on 45MPH and this will help alot.

I doubt ISO is going anywhere. Remember who they work for ... the insurance industry. And I doubt any alternative would be good news for the fire service.

The classification is based on distance from a responding station. If you have a split class (5/9) The first classification is applied to properties that are within five road miles of a responding fire station if there is a fire hydrant within 1000 feet. If the property is within five road miles but does not have a fire hydrant within 1000 feet, they apply Class 9. If the property is beyond five road miles of a responding fire station, Class 10 applies.

The only time the speed of an apparatus comes into play is when they evaluate tanker relays.

[ 07-20-2001: Message edited by: Chief39 ]

[ 07-20-2001: Message edited by: Chief39 ]

Thread Information