Thread: nfpa 1710

Default nfpa 1710

I'm writing a paper about how a smaller fire department can reach the standards of nfpa 1710 for a Fire Science class. I would like suggestions on how a department with 13 on duty would meet this standard. I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
    jason tyler

REGIONALIZATIONThe truth of the matter is that a small department, such as the one you mentioned, DOES HAVE A PLACE IN THE FIRE SERVICE. If I understand 1710 correctly, you must simply have engine crews of 4? and arrive within 4 minutes. Not so tough. By achieving dtrong automatic and mutual aide agreements with neighboring communities, the first town can provide a strong response of 2 engines, 1 truck, and one chief to every call. One engine could be dispatched from a neighboring municipality and cancelled when the first department determines the situation can be handled. As far as the time restrictions, it dependps upon the size of the departments jurisdiction. Again, Automatic aide and dividing up resources with neighboring communities could help. I just completed 2 papers on staffing of departments and regionalization, so if you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask.

Absolutely...

Regionalization is great, much better than "gerrymandering" counties by municipalities. While there is something to be said for each company at the scene being from one department, it is certainly outweighed by the need to get there quickly.

Another option would be to staff 4-4-4-1 and depend on volunteer / on call / callback personnel, but only if there is no automatic aid avaliable within 8 minutes. (or however long it takes to get the others to the station)

How do you deal with this problem though.

Consider the situation of a house fire near the border of department A and Department B, which also happens to be a state border.

Fire occurs in area A, which normally sends 4E, 2T, 1B/C, and 1 RS, engines staffed at 4, Trucks & RS at 5, and B/C at 2.

Department B staffs engines a 3, Trucks and Squads a 4, B/Cs at 1. Additionally, there is a good chance that any given company is currently at -2, due to cross staffing ambulances...e.g. Lt. stays with wagon, WD and FF go on ambulance call.

I'll give three situations:

Situation 1: Fire occurs in Department A's area. Fire Station in Department B is closest. Department A can get 2E, 1T, and B/C on scene within 8 minutes. (first due Engine from A is less than 4 minutes away)

Situation 2: As above except Department A can get 1E on scene within 4 minutes and 1T on scene within 8 minutes.

Situation 3: As above, except Department A can get 1 engine on scene within 8 minutes.

At what point is it better to deal with reduced staffing and "foreign" companies than it is to wait longer for your own companies?

Forum Member

In this area many communities are considering an option of combining 3 to 8 communities into 1 Fire Dept. They have talked of naming them Metros. This can be done with considerable research. The cost to each city is based on population size.

I did a research paper in my final year of college on combining 8 departments into one. The problems that arose were.
    1. Some Chiefs did not want to give up their positions.
    2. Some cities did not want to give up control to a regional board.
    These were the 2 problems that were difficult to overcome.

The cost factor was an advantage to every community. After the research I found that each community had similar pension systems and the average savings to each community was 10-15% of their present costs for their departments and resulted in more staffing and apparatus. I presented this to the 8 communities while doing an internship for the chief of one of these departments. It was not accepted at that time but now these same communities are looking into this option as a viable alternative to cutbacks. If you would like to know the aspects I looked into, please feel free to e-mail me.

Joint Powers Agreement

popular out west, i believe

Thread Information