Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    JERRY SULLIVAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post SIZE, GENERAL OPERATION

I'M LOOKIG FOR INFORMATION ON OTHER FIRE INVESTIGATION UNIT SIZES, DUTIES , OPERATION, WORK HOURS.ANY GENERAL INFO ABOUT YOUR UNIT STAFFING.ANY NEW IDEAS ?IN THE FIELD OR IN THE OFFICE ? ANY PROBLEM AREAS THAT YOU SEE ON THE RIZE? CARS , VACANTS ? FOR PROFIT? SCAMS ? MY DAD AWAYS SAID,ITS GOOD TO LISTEN, YOU MAY LEARN SOMETHING NEW.

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Sorry I haven't posted earlier Jerry... I haven't checked this part of the forum before. I am a member of the Wayne County (OH) Fire Investigations Unit (it used to be the Wayne County Arson Task Force... but the politically correct croud wanted the word "arson" out of the name). Out of 18 departments in the county, only about half have members on the unit. All departments in the county with the excpetion of the lone career department (who apparently does not have a need for any volys in their fire scenes) have utilized the unit from time to time. We are paged to respones with digital pagers. We operate under the OIC at the scene and establish a sub-chain of command in the unit based upon who arrives and what tyes of expertise are available for various duties. We get no monetary support from ANYONE except for an occassional insurance company who will throw us a bone now and then. (the last being the donation of some Rubbermaid Action Packers that we loaded as evidence collection kits that we spread out to various departments with unit members on them). The unit is not as active as it should be, but we too suffer from what most volunteer organizations do... lack of available manpower when it is needed. Hope this helps! Feel free to e-mail me if I can answer any specific questions.

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

benson911
    Firehouse.com Guest

Jerry - we kinda, sorta have an investigation unit. We have five fire investigators on my department, I'm the only non-officer. Whenever the department has a fire where the cause isn't readily apparent or the IC thinks it may be incendiary, an investigator is called in. The Fire Marshal is always called first, if he's not available they go down the list until they get someone.

As far as "team" activity, the Fire Marshal is working on setting up a system, but that would cost money (personnel OT and equipment,) so I'm sure the city will fight it for years until we can get it up and running.

JAY FROM OHIO
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hi Jerry. I am on a combination department where I am a part-time firefighter. Until November of 1999, I was also the Fire Prevention Officer. ( I gave that up o spend more time with my kids, a whole different topic.) Our department is a small rural department that investigates our own fires. We currently have 3 active investigators including myself. We determine c&o on all fires. I used to be part of the county fire investigation team that paged on alpha pagers for the team to activate. This would have been a great concept except only a few people ever got the page. When you did you were given the same task every time and never given the opportunity to expand your base of knowledge. New developments in this evolving field were never taken seriously. I found myself becoming disinterested in something I once found spellbinding. Our department now works alone or with the aid of a seasoned investigator on the neighboring department. So far so good. Currently we contact the state fire marshals office only when necessary to by law for investigations. They are, however, an invaluable resource we are lucky to have. Hope I haven't lost you. Take care. Jay

JL Weaver
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hello, I work for a paid department with seven stations and a population of apx. 75,000 that jumps to 100,000+ when the colleges are in session. I am one of four Assistant Fire Marshals in the Marshals Division. We have a Fire Marshal/Assistant Chief that does alot of plan reviews, code issues and concept reviews as well as heading up our division. One of the four of us is a full time PIO and operates as our primary public educator with the rest of us teaching as needed. The fire investigations, day to day permits, and inspection/code enforcement issues are handled by the three of us that remain. We investigate all structure fires in the city as well as a large number of vehicle fires. We conduct all new business and many annual inspections, handle all hazard referals, conduct acceptance tests on fire protection systems and educate the public every chance we get. As with many other divisions we could use more help but with staffing issues what they are today we are were glad for what we have.

------------------
    Be Safe and God Bless

Thread Information