Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    DavesNavy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation Solder Bead on Hydrant Caps?

I recently received a phone call from a concerned plant safety manager who works for a large facility located in our jurisdiction. A "corporate safety guy" for this large national corporation visited the plant and suggested that placing a small bead of solder on the caps of fire hydrants would "deter vandalism". The plant's safety manager called our Fire Marshal's Office as this idea just didn't seem right to him.

Neither the BOCA code nor NFPA 25 directly address such an issue (that I can find), although there is ample evidence that the intent of maintenance and inspection procedures is to keep hydrants clear and free of trees, bushes and "other objects", and that hydrants be operational.

Has enyone out there run into this situation? I believe the thought is that a small bead of solder could be broken with a smack from the handle of a hydrant wrench, but there is no guarantee that it would work, and in my mind, anything that would hinder or delay a firefighter while establishing a water supply is inappropriate.

By the way, these are private hydrants maintained inside a fenced, guarded enclosure. They have no previous history of vandalism. The plant has an excellent safety record.

[This message has been edited by DavesNavy (edited August 06, 2000).]

chrisham
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think the use of Solder beads is a questionable tactic if the weather in your area varies to extremes this may play a factor. However if the area your describing is that secure they may want to try the plastic breakaway caps.
    Originally posted by DavesNavy:
    I recently received a phone call from a concerned plant safety manager who works for a large facility located in our jurisdiction. A "corporate safety guy" for this large national corporation visited the plant and suggested that placing a small bead of solder on the caps of fire hydrants would "deter vandalism". The plant's safety manager called our Fire Marshal's Office as this idea just didn't seem right to him.

Neither the BOCA code nor NFPA 25 directly address such an issue (that I can find), although there is ample evidence that the intent of maintenance and inspection procedures is to keep hydrants clear and free of trees, bushes and "other objects", and that hydrants be operational.

Has enyone out there run into this situation? I believe the thought is that a small bead of solder could be broken with a smack from the handle of a hydrant wrench, but there is no guarantee that it would work, and in my mind, anything that would hinder or delay a firefighter while establishing a water supply is inappropriate.

By the way, these are private hydrants maintained inside a fenced, guarded enclosure. They have no previous history of vandalism. The plant has an excellent safety record.

[This message has been edited by DavesNavy (edited August 06, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by chrisham (edited August 15, 2000).]

firepros
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hello:

So what's the problem? The safety guru only suggested the solder security, and you state security is not a problem. Status quo unless the safety dude requires it........and then quote chapter and verse of anything that disallows it or have the safety guru do the research to validate his directive.

Sounds like the safety guru just had to find something to say was wrong.........not that they ever do that.....

Next Patient...........

firepros@aol.com

------------------
    Ted J. Pagels, Fire Chief, Menominee, MI 49858

Thread Information