Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Technical Data on Tar Mop Self-ignition

I'm looking for data on temperature and or conditions at the time of self ignition of mops used for applying roofing tars. Specifically, a milled fiberglas mop with aluminum handle manufactured by Owens Corning

Although I do not have the specific techinical data you are looking for I have searched for the same information regardimg tar mops. I found no specific data anywhere or documentation about this phenomena. The fire I investigated involved a natural fiber mop with a wooden handle. It was left unattneded on a mopped roof in the mid-afternoon "hot" sun and it self ignited. Good luck on your search. If you do recieve any information please post it or a link to it for the rest of us.

Thanks
    Fire5510

I am currently investigating a fire which occured and I beleve the cause is the tar mop left on the roof.

From talking with other investigators the key is the weather conditions it must be a hot and windy day. The wind cools the exterior of the mop and the mop acts as its own insulator allowing the temperature to build up due to the sunny and hot conditions.
    The conditions must be just right for spontaneous heating to occur.

The mop that was being used on my scene was a cotton mop with a wooden handle. The burn patterns on the roof considering the wind conditions and direction of travel would lead you back to the mop. The only cases I have herd about are mops made out of natural fibers.

I am also looking for information or documented cases.

Kevin Gallant CFEI
    Acting Captain
    Mississauga Fire & Emergency Services
    Mississauga, Ontario Canada
    kevin.gallant@city.mississauga .on.ca

Thread Information