Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Volunteer rewards

I am wondering what benefits volunteers get for their services. Do you think that they should get a tax break? Is there anything that you know of that they are currently getting and if so what state? Thank you for your help and please stay safe.

MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

only thing we get is a free t shirt about (if we're lucky) once a year and a free meal once in awhile.
    now the f.d. right beside us(that i won't say there name) but there rich
    they get 4 dollars each meeting they attend plus 12 dollars each run they make. so at the end of the year you can get a check for 300-400 bucks pretty easy.

You shouldn't expect to get anything for being a volunteer!

1.) Volunteer (Verb):
    To offer one's services.

2.) Volunteer (Adjective):
    Given without compensation.
    Synonyms
    Charitable
    Donated.
    Gratuitous
    Uncompensated. .
    Unpaid. . .
    Voluntary. . . .
    Volunteer

[ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: EbayFreakThree ]

Well I'm a volly because I donate a lot of my time for nothing to the community that I live in. Having said that I do get paid for the calls that I respond to, doing stand-bys and for going to practices. Just because I am considered a volly doesn't mean I should not be paid for sevices rendered. Like everybody else I have twenty four hours in any given day and for me time is a sought after commodity. For us Canucks we get a $1000 tax exemtion on our yearly returns, its a help but I think the Federal Govt. could do a lot better. Our dept. gets paid very well compared to a lot of other volly depts. You know why? Because our chief has lobbied very hard on our behalf to have in his budget enough to cover pay for us. Compare the wages that municiple govts. pay in volly wages to what it would cost to have a fulltime dept. Doesn't even come close does it! In my opinion municipalities should be ashamed of not taking care of their volly depts. in the way of wages. Don't get me wrong, I am not in it for the money, because I would do it for nothing, but the pay is just an added bonus. How much do I make a year? About $6000, but then again I make about 80% of the 300 calls a year.

Volunteers aren't what they used to be, its a different ball game now then what it was. We go on a broader spectrum of incidents. We get far more training and are expected to provide a greater service to the community. I consider myself an unpaid professional more so than a volunteer, and so should everyone else in today's fire-service. The privledges of being in the fire department are priceless, i might volunteer my time but that doesnt put gas in my car to get to calls.

- tom from ny
    " truck till the casket drops "

www.lynbrookfd.org

My views and opinions do not represent the views and standards of the Department or Company that I belong to.

MFD

now maybe i'm old fashion but to me a volunteer means no pay. I'd MUCH RATHER see the f.d. Put money toward a new truck or new equiptment(examples SCBAs,jaws of life or generator) not only we benifit cause we get good stuff to use and the stuff isn't JUNK .For as much as the neighboring f.d.to us pays the firefighters each year(i figured) they could use a BRAND NEW set of jaws of life and trade them EVERY YEAR . plus the community benefits because if we have good stuff they know it's gonna work. personally if i was getting paid i'd donate back to the f.d. cause they need it more than i do.

Volunteer is just what it says VOLUNTEER ! Meaning that you don't get anything for your services. Thats the general desription. Now my department does host an awards banquet for us each year in February which is catered at a local catering company. right down to the linen napkins...we're talking almost like a ball --- really formal and all that...But the members who don't meet the requirements do have to pay if they want to attend. Thats really about all we get. I don't think any of us in the Volunteer Services joined with the intention of getting something back and we shouldn't thats not what being a volunteer firefighter or emt is about --- I suggest those who want something for performing firefighting functions take a test and get hired as a career firefighter
    ***The Opinions expressed here are strictly my own and do not reflect those of the Department to which I am a Member ! ***

Stratford Fire Co. # 1.."Any Job ~ Any Place ~ Any Time"

Check us Out www.stratfordfire.com

I agree with Tom from NY. I am an unpaid professional. I joined the volunteer fire service over 23 years ago,because I had a desire to help continue a tradition started over 200 years ago. every year we are credited with a $300.00 tax credit,and can claim mileage to the firehouse and official functions. Yes we have an annual awards banquet for our top ten responders in fire and ems calls. But if someone came up to me and said, " I'm sorry the state can't pay you the $300.00 tax credit or the reimbursement for mileage. Or if my department said okay we can't afford to reward you for being in the top 10 percentile of answering calls, SO WHAT!!! I would still do what I am doing today,with pride and dedication,the same as I have since the day I joined the volunteer fire service. Being there when you are needed and being appreciated by the community is the only pay incentive I will ever need. IM A VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER AND PROUD OF IT!!!

Gene Delaware

from lad44der:
    Or if my department said okay we can't afford to reward you for being in the top 10 percentile of answering calls, SO WHAT!!! I would still do what I am doing today,with pride and dedication,

well said, thats one point i failed to mention.

-tom from ny
    " truck till the casket drops "

www.lynbrookfd.org

My views and opinions do not represent the views and standards of the Department or Company that I belong to.

I agree that volunteer firefighters should not get paid in anyway for what they do. I am in the same boat as most people in the idea of getting nothing because I love it too much. My intent was to gather information so that I could write a paper on the pros and cons of getting paid and in order to do this I needed to gather information on what departments do.

Stay safe all my fellow Brothers and Sisters

I also agree with Tom from NY. I am an unpaid professional. I joined over 33 years ago. In the city I live in now, I trained most of the Lt's, Capt's and Batallion chiefs when they were rookies, and yes I was a volley then.
    I have the same training (some cases more), also in many cases more experience, and without a doubt MORE dedication to the Fire service than the career folks who view it as just a job. (actual bumper sticker: "Firefighting is my JOB (emphasis), not my hobby") NOT all are that way but quite a few are.

As for other the term Professional Firefighter, it does not just mean you collect a paycheck every two weeks. It means just that PROFESSIONAL. You do the best you can all the time whether you collect a check for doing the public a service, or do it because MORALLY, it is the right thing to do to help your neighbors, and your community.

I will be a Volunteer till I can't do it anymore due to age and infirmity. I do not eagerly count the days till retirement, I loathe the day I become too old to lift the hose or bunker up, or can't take the wheel anymore.

My compensation???? I get to put my head on my pillow at night with a clear conscience, KNOWING that today I did the best to help my fellow man.

God Bless us all and help us keep our neighbors safe!.

SEMPER VIGILANS

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: Lieutenant25 ]

Ok, now that we have determined through a couple of forums now that, as a paid per call firefighter I am not a volly. (The hours I spend in soup kitchens, safety patrols, investigations, flooding rinks, fire prevention, and public education, of my own time don't count!). And I lack of moral fiber to refuse my quarterly pay check.

I need to ask this of you, When you leave work to respond to a call. (50 times a year or what ever) for an average of 2 hrs each time. Does you employeer contine to cover your wage?

Or, if your employer doesn't, do you write off your lost wages as a charitable donation?

If you are on salary rates does your employer dock you for time away?.

If you drive a company vehicle, do you respond to a call with that vehicle?

If your employeer does not dock you, or if you claim your lost wages as charitable donation, or you drive the company owned vehicle to a call. By your moral definitions of a volly. You to are no longer a volly as you were just compensated. As a matter of fact. You boss even letting you respond at all places a hard ship on his business, You are being compensated by thier generosity by even allowing you on thier payroll!

Personally I can't believe the stuff I have been reading as of late...1st its volly vs career, now its who is a TRUE volly and who isn't. Give me a break!

It's hard enough being called away from your kids birthday parties, anniversaries and family celebrations. Never mind trying to figure out how your going to pay the Mortage because you responded to many calls this month already, and the last call was supposed to be routine and you end up spending 2 days fighting a brush fire!

My hats off to those who do this at thier own personal expense and to the hard ship of thier families. I strongly belive every one should be compensated in some way for doing this job. You deserve it!

How ever are you better than me because my community felt that we should be compensated or thanked for our time? Wanted to reduce the financial hardship on my family for being there in thier families time of need?

I doubt it.

Parts of New York State have a Volunteer Fire Fighter Service Awards program.The program varies from township to township. Each Township was required to vote to approve the program. If the taxpayers voted it down, the members did not get the benefit. The program was designed to keep members. In substance, each volunteer would get paid $20.00 per month for every year of service that the members made an established minimum attendance requirement (50 points). A minimum of 5 years is required to obtain the benefit. The age at which the payments begin again varies depending on what the voters established. The Town where I use to Volunteer voted that payments would begin at the age of 65. I volunteered for 12 years. At age 65 I will receive $240.00 per month. Now that my life is back in order, I will rejoin. Much like the other posters, I would join if the benefit was there or not. Stay safe and volunteer professionally... the fire cant tell the difference!

Well said Cap22, just because I get a quarlterly check for services rendered this does not even come close to the hours that I put in for nothing. Yes I do get docked pay from my job but I am fortunate enough to have a job that allows me to accumulate a good bit of over time, thats where I take my dockage from, so in the end my fire pay does not cover my docked pay. But I ain't complaining and I'm still a volly

Thanks LT13, I was getting a little tick'd over this whole thing. If you know how to fight fire or are willing to learn the trade I'll work with you.

Regardless of pay status, Training level, and or the type or quality of equipment you have, I will, and have stood with some of you and not passed judgment upon you. (Canada and US.)

If you are better trained and equiped, I will look to you, so that I may learn and pass this info to others. If you look to me to learn from, I will extend my hand in welcome.

This job takes a lot of heart and guts. If you have these two basic qualifactions.... I''ll stand with you!

The funny thing is...once we pack up....we all look the same!

Thread Information