cmiller
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Rear mounted crosslays

Recently I noticed an engine in a magazine with the preconnected crosslays in the rear of the truck. This seems like a good idea by keeping the hose away from the pump operator. It also looks easier to reload. If anyone has operated an engine like this I'd like their opinions. Be safe.

------------------

Davidjb
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have what we call an apartment lay on the rear of E2, 100 feet of 2 1/2 with a gated Y with 150 feet of 1 3/4 off each gate.

------------------
    David Brooks, Firefighter, D/O
    Newmarket Fire Department
    Newmarket, New Hampshire
    http://www.NewmarketNH.com/Fire

I've been waiting for engine designers to simply take a standard top-mount pump panel and simply turn it around: pump panel at rear of engine. This could make the entire engine shorter, plus could locate crosslays at bottom of compartments, much like they are on some engines today. As far as concerns about the supply hose damaging the panel, either a cover over the panel, or a chute similar to ones used on quints.

So, Pierce, E-One, Sutphen, etc., how about it?

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

You could cover the panel with a roll-up door.

njnearguru
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department has all of our engines set up this way. We call it a freeway load, mainly becuase our firefighters can stretch the hose parallel with the freeway and they don't have to pull across the lanes of the freeway. It works great how and where ever you use it.

JohnM
    Firehouse.com Guest

All of our engines have 1 or 2 preconnects off the rear. They are my first choice if the engine can be spotted in front of the fire. Great for car fires, pull about 125-150' past the car and stretch straight back. Good for buildings, once again pull past the structure, stretch off the rear and there is room for the ladder to take the front of the building. I think it is much easier to repack.We also have crosslays which come in handy, but I like to use the rear lines if possible. I would miss the rear lines if we didn't have them! Oh one thing. If you pull in front of a fire on a highway, the engine won't be blocking traffic for you. We have the cops or the second due engine do that for us.

Ladder66
    Firehouse.com Guest

I really like the rear preconnected attack lines. For years I had used the typical mattydale arrangement until I joined a department that had an older (mid-70's) Pierce with two rear preconnected attack lines. I was a little skeptical when I first noticed it (having used the mattydales for about 8 years), but after yanking a load off for a worker, I was quite impressed. Easily deployed, less spaghetti, and I think a little more "engineer friendly".

I'll also agree that it's a great set-up for an auto fire along a highway, after you pull past the involved car. I however, still prefer to place my engine behind the involved auto to protect the scene. The engine can take the impact from a passing car much better than a cop's cruiser. Food for thought...

Keep it safe brothers & sisters!

-Lt. Mark Milliron

Tim Schaffner
    Firehouse.com Guest

My Dept. uses both..... crosslays for 1 3/4 line 200' and 300' rear for Big lines.. other depts in the area are loading 250'-350' 1 3/4 off of the rear... I personally like both.....They all work great if they are pulled correctly!!!!!!!!

cmiller
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Been really busy, sorry it took so long to reply. I think i didnt explain clearly enough. Our first due engine currently has four 1 3/4" crosslays loaded above a midship mounted pump and two 2 1/2" preconnects that are deployed off the rear. The engine I saw had all the handlines loaded in the rear of the apparatus on roll out trays. There were no lines mounted above the midship mounted pump. We use mattydale loads for our 1 3/4 and straight lays for our big stuff. As an operator the lines over the pump always seem to be in the wrong place while operating. This setup may solve the problem.

------------------

Nathan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Hi!!
    Where did you see this? We don't use crosslays at all in New South Wales - all hose is stored in hose trays (10 lengths of 70mm at the rear - 3 lengths 38mm at the rear + 2 lengths 38mm at the RHS) or rolled. Most of our apparatus (all except the telesquirts and the 3 super pumpers) have rear mounted pumps. It may be antiquated but it works...

Thread Information