DD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Adding locks to Stortz fittings.

Please give your experience and/or opinions on modifying plain Storz fittings with add on locks. Specifically; do they work, are they safe, and what is the best brand of add on locks?

[This message has been edited by DD (edited September 14, 1999).]

j crooke
    Firehouse.com Guest

DD,
    adding locks to LDH stortz fittings is an excellent idea. There was a recent article in Fire/Rescue magazine ( within the last month or 2 ) regarding LDH. It mentioned locking fittings and gave an example of what could happen if a hose didn't have them. Basically if the LDH gets twisted and suddenly gets pressurized the fitting will actually twist off.
    funny thing...several days after reading this article I filling our 2000gal tanker from a hydrant using 3in w/ a non-locking stortz fitting, i was set up and opened the hydrant...guess what happened? the water pressure was high enough that when the hose twisted off it gave this guy's car
    (who stopped to watch with his kid) a bath. I was very embarrased to say the least, because i had just read the stupid article!
    so anyway I'm all for locking connections!

hope this helps...
    Jeff Crooke
    engineer291@yahoo.com
    Marshalls Creek Fire/Rescue
    PA

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Locking stortz fittings certainly aren't a bad idea. However, I've really only experienced problems with LDH twisting off at the actual intake points on the apparatus. We've got locking fittings on all our side intake piston valves, and it seems to take care of the problem. We don't have them yet on the ladder pipe connections on the ladder truck, and it's still a problem there. We've never really have any trouble with stortz couplings spinning off anywhere along the hose lays themselves, whether they are going into a locking fitting or not. If you're concerned about cost, maybe you want to start with locks at your intake points and see what happens. Just an idea from the low-budget point of view.

DD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Does anyone know of at company which makes or sells add on locks for Stortz fittings. I picked up some literature on one brand at the FDIC in Indy, but lost it.

Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hi DD:
    check out http://www.kochek.com/Kclip.htm I believe these are what you're looking for...give em a call.

Another good safety idea is to have swivel fittings at pump intakes, deck guns, etc that allow the hose to spin out the twist. It also keeps a hose with the safety locks from twisting itself shut.

Matt

Phred
    Firehouse.com Guest

To All: Do you need two locks (one on each of the two mating couplings) or is one lock enough to be safe?

We use 4" LDH with Storz couplings to fill Tankers in water shuttles. Some insist that both the Tanker's receiving coupling AND the filling hose coupling be equipped with locks; I suggest that the Tanker have NO lock but the filling hose have a lock. My reasoning is that it is quicker to release the single lock during the disconnect - with dual locks it almost requires two FF to unlock and disconnect. Comments, Please.

Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

One lock will hold it...though I suppose someone could argue one of them could be broken, so the second is safer. If you had the intakes with a swivel on them, it shouldn't be an issue...but the swivels are probably more expensive than the locks.

DD
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am sorry for the spelling mistake. It is
    STORZ and not Stortz as I spelled it originally.

DD
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am sorry for the spelling mistake. It is
    STORZ and not Stortz as I spelled it originally.

John Berryman Jr.
    Firehouse.com Guest

Contact the Baltimore County F.D.Maryland Fire Academy as they just installed locks on all their LDH couplings (56,000ft. of hose) They can be reached at 410-887-4890

Gychief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here's an easy, guick & inexpensive way to adapt your couplings to give them added security. Our department has been using this for years & we haven't had a problem. DUCT TAPE! Use a piece about 1/2 the circumference of the couplings & tape the couplings together. Just periodically check the duct tape to make sure the glue hasn't dried & the tape is coming loose. If so, just slap a new piece of tape on there. We keep all of our storz couplings stored at the front of the hosebed so we can check them & it is much easier packing the LDH this way.

DD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Matt, I received a FAX today from Kochek. They no longer sell the K-clip retro-fit lock for Storz fittings and couplings.

Thread Information