Mulldog
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Akron Turbojet vs. TFT

Our Dept. is in the process of changing over to TFT's from Akron turbojet nozzles. Anybody found any differences with pump operations between the two?

resqb
    Firehouse.com Guest

I've used both of these nozzles so I'll throw in my opinion.
    I haven't found much of a difference pumping them, maybe less of a challenge(you just crank up[some overcrank] a TFT) , but using them is a different story. Your crew is going to have to get used to "having control" of the flow. With the turbojet the bale was open or closed all the way, if the flow ring was changed then the pump operator needed to be told. The TFT allows different flows with different bale positions. Your dept. does have an advantage by knowing what flow will put out how much fire. The only one that will know what you are flowing with a TFT is the pump operator. Remember underpressuring a line will kill a crew no matter which nozzle you use. I.E. You still need to pump 150psi to flow 125gpm thru 200ft of 1 3/4" hose. I'm sure your dept. has done the calculations for the turbojet just stick with one for the TFT.
    One thing I don't particularly like with the TFT is it's size and weight, it's slightly harder to whip it around like you are used to with the Akron. Just keep the pressure up and put the wet stuff on the red stuff. Good luck with your purchase.

[This message has been edited by resqb (edited September 20, 1999).]

E7engineer
    Firehouse.com Guest

When I'm pumping a truck, I can not tell the difference between the two. the option that I can relate to, is the nozzleman can adjust the flow when needed. more or less.

edfc
    Firehouse.com Guest

The pump pressures and calculations all stay the same. The TFT's are great for the nozzleman because you can gate the bale back and see no signifigant change in the pattern or reach because there is no ball valve to cause any turbulence. Having said that the looks of the stream can be deceiving in other words the driver may not be pumping at the correct pressures and the stream still looks great yet the flow in gpm's is much less than you may need.
    That however is not the fault of the nozzle. Also, when you get the nozzles ask for the video dealing with the maintenance. Because of the sliding stainless throttle, they can stick and restrict the flows. You have to perform maintenance.
    Bottom line my opinion is simple THe TFT is the best on the market. Providing your drivers are trained and the person on the knob knows what they are doing.

Forum Member

A standard nozzle at low flow but high pressure will feedback a high reaction, so its not a valuable reference about which are the actual gpm.

The best way to know how much water a nozzle is flowing is feeling it's reaction.

An automatic nozzle, wichever maker you choose, will bring a direct relationship between gpm and reaction.

Another advantage it's you begin the fire attack at a high psi in the pump for a high potential gpm, so there isn't need of contacting the pump operator in the rush of a firefighting, you only throtle up or down the bale and you'll have the desired gpm.

Using a 250 pounds fishing scale it's a big help for training on demostration of the reaction forces and it's usefulness for estimating gpms

Regards

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by janusfire View Post
    A standard nozzle at low flow but high pressure will feedback a high reaction, so its not a valuable reference about which are the actual gpm.

The best way to know how much water a nozzle is flowing is feeling it's reaction.

An automatic nozzle, wichever maker you choose, will bring a direct relationship between gpm and reaction.

Another advantage it's you begin the fire attack at a high psi in the pump for a high potential gpm, so there isn't need of contacting the pump operator in the rush of a firefighting, you only throtle up or down the bale and you'll have the desired gpm.

Using a 250 pounds fishing scale it's a big help for training on demostration of the reaction forces and it's usefulness for estimating gpms

Regards

Way to wake up a Ten Year Old thread!

Welcome aboard Janus.

Oh, and let us know when you get to the issue of 3/4 coats vs. bunker pants. lol
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Thread Information