Bobby Hunter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Driver qualifacations

Does anyone know of any fire depts that hire just drivers, my local depts had Tech which had the right drivers license , CPR and knowledge of pumps, but this posistion was taken away about 8-10 yes ago. If anyone knows of such depts please let me know, What dept, where and any qualifications for that posistion. Thanks

Jeffrey Casson
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I wouldn't want somebody out on the pump panel who didn't know what I was doing inside or what it feels like when you are lugging around the hose in a dark, smoky building. I imagine some departments have people that just drive but they at one point in time must have been on the other end of the hose.

Davidjb
    Firehouse.com Guest

Jeff makes a great point. Another point is that anyone can be taught how to drive, but setting up and managing your water supply is another thing all together.
    Driving safely is probably 10% of the job.
    You must know what it's like inside a burning structure, relying on the pump operator to keep you supplied with water while also looking out for scene dangers and signs of building colapse.
    Until you've been put in that position and realize how important the driver/operator is to your position I don't think you should be in the drivers seat.

------------------
    David Brooks, Firefighter, D/O, 1st Resp.
    Newmarket Fire & Rescue
    Newmarket, New Hampshire
    www.NewmarketNH.com/fire

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

We have a guy who has some senority, but his job is mostly medicals. A couple of times he has engineered for us. Thankfully they were just vehicle fires, but he was telling us one night over supper that in his three years on the job he has never been in a structure fire. Now we try to have at least one controlled structure fire evdery year for our new people. He has taken vacation on those days. Now, I am a ADO certified firefighter, but rarely take the drivers seat because I love the fighting. The last few times he has drove us he does not do it in the best or even for that matter the safest manner. When we finnally do get to the scene, which have been vehicle fires, we foam it and we never get the right concentration because he sets it wrong and leaves the truck. He is a hazard, but the Chief leaves him in there. What should I do?

Just a little advise please.

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

Davidjb
    Firehouse.com Guest

This might be a little harsh, but I value my life.
    I would talk to the chief and tell him that I will not get on a truck if this individual is driving, if there are others that feel like you, get them to do the same.
    A poorly trained, unreliable driver is as bad as none at all.
    You have to be able to trust your pump operator, an operator who abandons his apparatus during an attack is someone who is lacking in the desire to maintain the well being of the crew on his truck.

------------------
    David Brooks, Firefighter, D/O, 1st Resp.
    Newmarket Fire & Rescue
    Newmarket, New Hampshire
    www.NewmarketNH.com/fire
    (All opinions are my own)

SCFAO
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have had a different experience with this matter. The department I was formerly with had a memeber who had no desire to do interior structural firefighting. He obtained the minimum firefighting requirements set forth by the County Fire Service, but has never fought an interior structure fire in 15 years of service. He is the primary engineer for the volunteers, and does an excellent job. With this man on the pump...you never have to worry about too much or too little pressure, or your line getting cut off by mistake. If he doesn't operate the truck, he does all the outside jobs without any problems, and 9 out of 10 times he recognizes a need before it really becomes a need. The thing to remember is that not everybody in the FD can hump the line...somebody has to pump the truck,change air cylinders, raise ladders, set up dump tanks for tanker shuttles, etc. As long as the person can show they have mastered the skills neccesary to operate each piece of equipment they will be required to operate, and operate them without flaw in a pressure filled situation, there should be no problem.

Les.H
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our Brigade is considering employing drivers for the 'specials'. That covers the hydraulic platforms, rescue vehicles and equipment carriers. They state that a firefighter does not need to undertake these duties and they can save money by giving the drivers pagers and calling them in as and when they are needed.

I still prefer to have a crew of trained firefighters in the battle area that know what each and everyone else is doing. A driver can pick this up with time and experience but will not be the same as a fully trained Ff.

One thing about firefighters - they hate having change forced upon them if it changes their way of life or worse.

------------------
    Kindest regards & keep safe,

Sprinkle (UK)

Thread Information