tmr91
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Pump intake valves

I'm looking for input on pump intake valves.
    My dept. is looking at specing a new pumper and are looking for pump info.Heres our back ground: Paid oncall, looking at Hale top mount 1500 -2000 gpm. We have 30% hydrants in our response area (36 sq miles) We use 5"ldh and front suctions. Does anyone have suggestions or feedback on using the Hale MIV valve vs. A side mount piston intake vs. something else. Any information would be of great help.Thanks

grc063
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our dept. is currently specing a new engine, (side mount 1,500/700 water), and we considered a MIV vs. P.I.V.. We chose the Piston Intake Valve for two reasons -
    - Money - PIV approx. $900.00
    - M.I.V Approx $4,000.00

- Serviceablilty Should the Piston intake valve break, then remove it & get another one or put a cap on. Should the M.I.V. break, then your unit is O.O.S..

Stay Safe!!

CAP182
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

tmr91

i agree with grc 063 in the long run i belive you will have better luck with a piston intake. due simply to the fact that if your miv goes out i dont belive your rig will be abel to continue service. where as a piv you can replace in a few minuets or cap.

rember: stop, look, and listen

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

Consider the waterway through the valve, most PIVs have a 4" water way. This often places the restriction of the water supply at the feet of the FD. On the other hand, screw type butterfly valves can be had with a full 6" (or larger) water way (obstruction of the valve plate noted).

BIG PAULIE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Check with Jaffrey . They make a full flow 6" waterway piston intake valve

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

I thought they might that's why I said "most" but I haven't been able to log on to their website for some reason www.jfpc.com

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I'd go with the piston valve. I've nothing to add to the discussion here on that subject.

Also, spec your front suction to have straight (as in "no elbows") pipe to the pump to maximize the effectiveness of the front suction for drafting. Both our engine and quint were spec'ed this way, and it's amazing how often this comes in handy.

LHS'
    Firehouse.com Guest

A piston intake over an MIV? I agree with the cost issue, however, there is no way the pisotn intake valve offers anything close to the same level of protection. A cast aluminum valve with a 200 psi limit atached to a 500 psi pump? Doesn't sound too safe to me. The steel MIV is certified to 500 psi.

The piston intake valve required NFPA 1901 to provide a warninng on the pump pnel that reads, Serious death or injury can occur if a pressured source is connected to a gated suction port.

The piston has a reduced water way on;y 40% the size of the MIV. The piston canot relieve air or water hammer unless the valve is opened when the line is charged. A 1/4 inch pet **** is supposed to drop 20 square inches of air 1000 feet long? Yeah right. The MIV will releive the hammer open or closed and dump air. The MIV won't snap off the panel or spin when the supply line is charged. Sure you can change out the broken piston easier, but in exchange for that you'll need to lube the interior and brake of barnicals regularly. The MIV type relief is now required via NFPA 1901 out board vales don't cut it.

Thread Information