Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    SBrooks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post LDH Hose questions

Hey, can you regularly drive over 5" hose once it's been charged? I mean how much of a pain in the @$$ is it, and how often does it rupture the hose?

Firemedic129
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angus says you can drive over their LDH if need be, but it shouldnt be an everyday practice. But everyone knows there are times when it cannot be avoided. They recommend that you cross at an angle, so only one wheel at a time crosses the hose. Also be careful to avoid couplings so they are not deformed from the weight of the unit. And obviously parking the truck on the hose would turn the unit into a 20 ton hose clamp. Another concern is ground clearance, your aerials and engines should be okay, but EMS units may catch the line with their undercarriage. As far as the lines bursting while being crossed, I have never heard of this, but I suppose anything is possible. I wouldnt worry about it for your normal supply line that is properly tested and used properly, i.e. not under 200 pounds of pressure.

[This message has been edited by Firemedic129 (edited June 12, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Firemedic129 (edited June 12, 2000).]

E229Lt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hose ramps are available for LDH. They should be used whenever possible. As for an LDH rupture, we had one let go about 2 years ago which resulted in the disability retirement of a chief officer.

Aerial 131
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Years ago I was directed to al location at an incident in which I had to drive over charged 5". We took aerial over one set of wheels at a time and with full knowledge to the engine who's hose we drove over. Did't break, but did not enjoy driving over it. cost to replace, I think about $1000 per 100 feet. Not cheap at all.

------------------

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

My two cents, for what they're worth...

We don't tolerate anyone driving over hose at all, including apparatus. We don't carry hose ramps, and we generally expect engineers to plan their hose lays to accommodate other incoming apparatus. We've occasionally had hose damaged by vehicles over the years, and it can be dangerous, both in terms of lost water supply and the threat from an LDH line out of control.

In PA, driving over charged supply hose is a moving violation, punishable by fine & points (I believe it's treated like "wreckless driving" in terms of the penalties). We have had civilians cited for this by the police, and the punishments have stuck. It doesn't win friends, but it gets the point across.

SCFAO
    Firehouse.com Guest

When we converted over to LDH in my county they sent us the company's training video to watch as part of our training. Now, understand, this has been almost 10 years ago, so my memory may be a little fuzzy, but the manufacturer stated that you should only drive over the LDH when absolutely neccesary, and to do so at an angle. Remember that each time you drive over the hose it will produce a mini-water hammer and/or pressure surges, and you expose the hose to damage. As for the public driving over hose, unless it is a 4x4, 3/4 ton or larger truck, they will more than likely get high centered. Here, the local law enforcement charges a driver who drives over fire hose regardless of the size $200 per tire that crosses the hose. Imagine the size of the ticket the deputy wrote to the tractor trailer driver who crossed over a 3" supply line at one scene of ours.

Thread Information