tmr91
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post hardsuction with storz

Is anyone using 6" x 10' hard suction hose with 5" storz ends? Have you had any problems with this setup during drafting situations (poor prime, air leaks, etc.)? My department would like to simplify it's LDH and drafting operations with the 5" storz fittings.

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

No problems, just use flexible/lightweight hard suction and things will be MUCH easier.

If you want to make it more simple than just switching, add a 6" chicksan on the suction and preconnect it.

Sand Creek Lynn
    Firehouse.com Guest

Have you considered cam lock fittings instead of Stortz for your suction? A lot less money. But then maybe you have other reasons for Stortz.

FyredUp
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have used the 5 inch Storz fittings for drafting for years and had no problems. I believe they have a special drafting gasket in them though.

[This message has been edited by FyredUp (edited July 12, 2000).]

ENG 6511
    Firehouse.com Guest

WHAT IS A 6" CHICKSAN? THANKS FOR THE EDUCATION.

------------------
    Bob Compton

Dalmatian90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Chicksans are swivels much more commonly found in the petroleum and chemical industries.

Basically two 90 degree elbows that can swivel into most positions.

Here's our Engine 190 with a Chicksan on the front bumper:

This is the predecessor engine with a chicksan off the front mount pump:

You can see the suction hose in it's stored position (sorry I don't have a better photo). When in use, the Chicksan swivels out to leave the suction closer to the ground, then swivels to deploy the hose left, right, or straight ahead.

DD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Matt is showing off those Squirrel Tails again. I wish that we had them for our drafting operations. Who sells "drafting gaskets" for Storz fittings? Air leaks have been a problem at times with our stock gaskets.

F02
    Firehouse.com Guest

Should be able to get them from whoever made your hose.
    We found out spray silicone lube makes conecting a lot easier.Lasts quit a while and does'nt collect dirt.

FyredUp
    Firehouse.com Guest

As far as the drafting gaskets go. We just specified them when we ordered the adapters for our hard suction. I am assuming they must be available from any reputable fire equipment dealer.

Thread Information