Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Michrehf
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Portable Radios for Drivers

I am currently researching the purchase of portable radios for our PO's and Drivers. At present the Truck Driver has no radio communications and the PO has only the Mobile radio. Our department functions on a 800mHz analog system. Please let me know of departments that have their drivers and PO issued radios. Thanks

ADSN/WFLD
    Firehouse.com Guest

In our department the driver (eng, trk, amb, sqd...) has a radio. for the Pump operator it allows him to set lines, get equipment, set up scene lights and other non building entry tasks while still being able to hear when the nozzle team needs water, or commands to shut down.

[This message has been edited by ADSN/WFLD (edited July 23, 2000).]

Doo600
    Firehouse.com Guest

All our engineers have radios. The administration likes our drivers to have tethered radios that plug in via headset at the panel so it keeps the engineer close to the panel. Our quint engineer has a portable radio w/ headset so he can move from the pump panel to the turntable (3 man truck) The guys prefer portables with headset plug cause they allow hydrant hookup without having to take the radio off and still allow you to always remain in contact. The tethered system must be removed while hydrant hookup giving command no contact until that task is completed. Hope this helps

JimDWFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I feel lucky. My department has enough portable radios that everyone on duty ( normal manning of 15 per shift)carries a radio. Most of the time the nozzle man keeps his radio off to prevent feed back. This lets everyone know whats going on around the fire scene.

Stay Safe

FFD#35
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

We have three radios on charging bases on each engine. One for the driver, one for the Lt., and one for the jump seater. Likewise for our rescue, ladder truck and one in each ambulance.

The radios for the drivers have headsets.

The main radio in each truck has a head set for each seat.

[This message has been edited by FFD#35 (edited July 24, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by FFD#35 (edited July 24, 2000).]

J Almon
    Firehouse.com Guest

We tried one engine with a PO portable, but it wasn't as well liked as a second head at the pump panel for the main radio. I guess it was something else for the PO to keep up with. We no longer buy radios made for a second head, but actually save about $400 per install by buying a small mobile radio that fits in the pump panel housing. The radio in the cab still has full features, though.
    Portables seem to be easy to lose or easy to steal, but the pump panel radios are staying put.

CFD119
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We use 800MHz systems as well and we have a dedicated wt for the pump oper. with a firecom headset attached. by using the headset it protects the pump oper. hearing from loud engine noise and makes communications clear. By using the wt it allows the operator to move about and do his other tasks. The operator also has a duty radio that he can use if there are other Tac channels being used.

WRENCH
    Firehouse.com Guest

We just went high tech, went to UHF , new consoles,multi channel and every career f/f has his own personal radio. all 28 of us.
    WE also got 2 consoles at hq , plus two off site repeaters,and all new pagers for all paid and call .firefighters

FFCode3EMT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

The career FAE's have portable radios for when they are away from the truck. We also have a main radio at the pump panel that you can plug your headset into to reduce noise and aid in communications.

------------------
    **The preceding comments in no way represent the views of my department, its members, or associations that it may belong to.**

TRK403
    Firehouse.com Guest

Currently the officer and Technician(Driver) on each suppression unit carry a radio. This is critical for the Truck Tech. who may be doing outside Truck work and away from the Truck.
    We are going to 800mhz soon and have been told all min. staffing positions will then carry a radio.

csgos
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Our fire department has been in existance for only 22 years. Within the last year, all on duty personnel have received portable radios. Our radios are on the 800mHz trunked system. Our engineers and truck drivers are included, however it does not do much for the background noise, especially if the apparatus loud speaker is operating on the radio setting. It is a better system than no one having a portable radio at all, which is what we had to start with--nothing!

Chris Deyerle
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

In our main engine (606) we have a hand held radio for the driver b/c most of the time he will be the pump operator. So he will grab it out of the dash board charger, so he will know when to charge the lines and adjust psi w/o running back and forth to the main radio in the pumper.

------------------
    Chris Deyerle

[This message has been edited by Chris Deyerle (edited October 22, 2000).]

Dwight Conrad
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

On my engine, we have a speaker and mic relayed to the radio inside the cab. We also have portables for every firefighter and officer. That way, the engineer knows what's going on and can better control the flow of water. My suggestion is to have your engineer have some form of communications at the pump panel.

FireDocCJC
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Here is the way that we do things on my fire department. If you have a radio and you are the driver/pump operator then you will have your own. If not then you get to turn the radio up and stretch the cord to the door. Not too far of a reach for us because of the way our trucks are built. But that is the way that we do it. Luckily I have my own Radio for that.

------------------
    Keep your head below the smoke but in the game.

Thread Information