FyredUp
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post MPO Hand stretching own supply line

Just wondering if your FD has any rules of sog's regarding the MPO self supplying by a hand stretch to a hydrant.

I am especially interested aboout which situations allow this. Such as a preconnect attack from tank water...can the MPO stretch after supplying the attack line? Does the attack line have to wait until supply is established?

What is the max length of a hand stretch allowed? And lastly, what is your supply hose size?

Thanks for the help!!

FyredUp

JimDWFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

For the past couple of days our drill consist of charging an 1 3/4" attackline with tank water and back stretching a 5" supply line to the hydrant. Two hundred feet of 5" hose is used. We carry 750 gallons of water so we have about 5 minutes to get on hydrant water. It was a good drill. It was all done with just the driver/operator of the engine.

Stay Safe

fireman703
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

what is an MPO? Thank you. I am always looking for new ways of operating.

LHS'
    Firehouse.com Guest

MPO Motor Pump Operator. It designates the pump operator position. It allows a distinction between a Non-motorized vehicle like a hand pump or hose tender operator. You wouldn't want the operator of hand pumper operating a steamer or motorized pumper. It could result in a greeeeeeevance.

morriss
    Firehouse.com Guest

We allow the MPO to hand stretch under the right circumstances. We normally take our supply in with us (the MPO wraps the hydrant on the way in) unless there is nothing showing or there is an immediate known life hazard. Also we go in without a supply line if we know that there is a hydrant located properly for the front intake, i.e. right near the engine placement. We always pull past the structure to allow the front for our aerial.

SCFAO
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have no set policy regarding the engineer stretching a supply line, however in the past...if there is a hydrant close enough engineers have hand-jacked a supply line..mainly due to a lack of anybody else to do it.

FFD#35
    Firehouse.com Guest

We run our engine and ambulance like a five person company. Normally the ambulance leaves the station before the engine so the ambulance driver drops the tech off at the hydrant. When the engine arrives the tech pulls the 5" supply line off the engine and wraps the hydrant. The amublance driver pulls the bus out of the way and takes the air pack to the tech he dropped off and they meet at the rear of the engine where they assist the engine chauffer in setting up what ever he needs then they go to their next assignment which is setting ground ladders. This keeps the engine chauffer at the engine. When the chauffer is ready for the hydrant to be charged he gives two quick blows to the air horns signaling the tech that he is ready. This has worked quite well for us.

TXFIRE6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Never heard of an "MPO?" But whatever. Anyways, our policy is to pull just past the house, and use pre-connect 1 1/2" with booster tank water upon arrival. The 2nd due engine or quint will then lay a supply line to or from a hydrant depending on location. The Engineer has the option to "hand-jack" a supply line if it is close, but no policy on it. We are not allowed to charge a 2nd pre-connect unless a supply line has been laid, and charged.On calls where a 2 1/2" is to be used for initial exposure protection, then the 2 1/2" with the bundle is pulled and we can reverse lay to a hydrant. WE are not allowed to charge a 2 1/2" off booster tank as well. This policy of the first engine working off tank water works well. It affords aggressive interior attack without delay, or loss of manpower at a hydrant initially. We currently staff engines with 3 man companies, so personnel is important at the scene. While securing a water source is critical, all first alarm companies are usually onscene within 5 minutes of dispatch, so the time delays of getting a supply line are very minimal.

FyredUp
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for the responses. My career FD has recently switched to LDH, 5", from a long standing reverse lay with 2-2 1/2" lines. So the possibility of a hand stretch with 5" has a risen and actually occurred at a large fire. It worked well but safety concerns have been raised by some members over a loss of water to the attack line if the stretch takes too long. The policy states no longer than a 200 foot hand stretch.

Also, let me apologize for the confusion regarding the term MPO. It does indeed stand for Motor Pump Operator. In my FD it designates the driver of either an engine, ladder or quint. Also in this area to add to the fun FD's call the apparatus operators HEO (heavy equipment operator), FADO (fire apparatus driver/operator), and some even use chauffeur. Go figure!!

Take care and stay safe,

FyredUp

E229Lt
    Firehouse.com Guest

200' hand stretch of 5" hose???? One man???
    Glad I'm not the MPO, HEO, FADO, or the chauffer. BTW, we call them chauffers.

pyroknight
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

C'mon LT! It's not that tough if you use the rubber-jacketed hose! The stuffs not CHARGED!

S. Cook
    Firehouse.com Guest

Potential solution...

You're pulling up to the scene and based on your SOPs, you're going to need a supply.

Stop at the closest hydrant, engineer (that's what we call MPO's in Texas) sets the brake, gets out and drops the hydrant strap over the hydrant. Attached to the strap is the hydrant bag and line. Then the engineer gets back in a drives to scene.

No hand jacking the line, if supply is needed and you're short handed the eng. can simply go to the hydrant and make the tap or the next due can get it.

Why does the engineer grab the hydrant when we're laying a dry line? He/she is generally not wearing full turnouts and an SCBA. But, if the first due is going to charge their own supply then a firefighter would get it.

FRED
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

My Depts. rule is if it is 100 ft. or less to the plug the FAO may make the conection on his own. If not the next due co. should bring in the supply line. Although I have seen longer stretches done by hand.
    BTW we use 4 inch supply hose.

Thread Information