Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head Sets

FFBill
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool Head Sets

My Vol. Department is going to retro fit two engines with head sets. I know of Fire Comm, David Clark and Sigtronics. What are your feelings on the function of these headsets and do you perfer one brand over the other? My Career Dept. uses David Clarks and we really like them. They do have the highest price tag however.

Thanks for your help

------------------
    Fight Fire Agressivly but Provide for Safety First!

Be Safe!

J Almon
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have Clark and Firecomms. We only use the Clark systems since all the Firecomms have broken. Clarks are easy to fix and are durable. They're also more expensive, but I feel are worth the extra money over other systems.

Fyrtrks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

David Clark no question we have never had a problem with ours. We had one of the off brands and it was always broken. We just replaced it with a D.C. You get your monies worth.

apatrol
    Firehouse.com Guest

David Clarks.... Much better quality

britter
    Firehouse.com Guest

The clarks are nice. And I to would recommend them but you will pay. Our agency uses all three mentioned. I sympathize with you on the need to find a cheaper alternative. The Sigtronics are exactly what you need. They are simple, cheap and usually easy to repair yourself. We have used the sigtronics for over 12 years and have never had to send the headsets out for repair. Most of the fire departments I know have that one guy who can work wonders with a sodering iron and a piece of wire!

FFBill
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for your info!

------------------
    Fight Fire Agressivly but Provide for Safety First!

Be Safe!

NUMBY
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use the firecom headsets on all our trucks. We have not had any problems yet. I have heard people say that David Clark is better because they were originally desinged for military use. No problems here with the firecom though.

------------------
    Anything i say in the forums is my opinion and does not reflect my department or any organization i belong to.

trp2618
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are using FireCom on our new Eng. We havent had any Problems yet. We were using Sigtronics on our old Engines. and we didn't like them at all, they were always broken.
    Todd

Pelican631
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department uses Firecom with pretty good sucess. I installed them on all of the trucks that have them and they are really easy to wire and install. The only thing that may give an average person some trouble is interfacing the intercom with the radio, but if you have someone on your department who "knows radios" it shouldn't be a problem. I don't have any experience with David Clark or Sigtronics so I can't give and opinion of them, but everyone here seems to love the Clarks.

Andy

Brtengr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

The Aviation industry is all David Clark. My dad bought an off pair and they broke only after a few hundred hours. Then he broke down and got a couple sets of D.C.'s and thats what all the other pilots were using. They're definitely the best. If you want to try them easily go to an airshow. D.C. will have a booth set up for sure.

P.P.
    Firehouse.com Guest

We just ordered David Clarks for two of our engines and our truck. We took a look at the all the head sets and found that the D.C. had the best quality. They do cost more but all the departments that we talked to said that the liked the D.C.

After we have them installed I post my thoughts.

Stay Safe!

P.P.

FFCode3EMT
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have FireCom headsets on all three of our engines and our tower. They can be disconnected so the FAE can take his to the pump panel to drown out noise and aid in communications. We've had no problems to date.

------------------
    **The preceding comments in no way represent the views of my department, its members, or associations that it may belong to.**

TM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

The DC's are the best that is all we use we have them in very uint except for the staff vehicles we even have them in our Paramedic Rescue Squad. If your looking for a comfortable headset use Firecom. I prefer DC's

Corvin
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have used all three brands and would make the following observations:

David Clark - We use them all 4 companies on the career dept where I work. Have had some maintenance issues but overall the quality is above average. As noted so is the price.

FireComm - We use these in the small dept where I serve. I think the quality is slightly below average, we've had some unit failures (probably too many considering the minimal use compared to the David Clarks)

Sigtronics - used these for a couple of years with a larger volunteer dept and thought they were the best value. Price wise they seem to fall in the middle and personally never had any significant problems with them

Chris

RES6TRK
    Firehouse.com Guest

I HAVE USED BOTH FIRE - COM AND DAVID CLARK HEADSETS
    1. THE FIRE-COM SEEMED TO HAVE A PROBLEM ELIMINATING INTERFERENCE NOISE, i.e. 60 CYCLE NOISE ,VOLTAGE DROP NOISE. EYERYONE KNEW WHEN WE KEYED UP ON THE AIR BECAUSE OF THE NOISE.
    2. THE DAVID CLARK SETS ARE THE BEST I HAVE FOUND FOR CLEAR COMMUNICATIONS.

TCFD12
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Look at SETCOM - they make David Clark sound like tin cans. We have both David Clark and SETCOM. SETCOM is so much clearer that Clark. Plus it's got less wires = easier to install

Mike Pirie
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use David Clark headsets on all of our fire aparatus and ambulances and have not had any major problems with them.

Mike

BayRidge60
    Firehouse.com Guest

David Clark. Remember...you get what you pay for.

------------------
    Glenn Ralston
    Firefighter/EMT-D
    Bay Ridge Fire-Rescue
    Queensbury, New York

bfdzeke
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have Firecom sets on our newer quint, we have had quite a few problems with them. Some due to user lack of knowledge, but mostly due to mechanical failure. We also have had problems with our exterior ports, when they get a little moisture buildup in them, they decide to transmit over the radio without the user's knowledge (a few interesting conversations were enjoyed by our dispatchers). So buyer beware, to a certain extent. A few minor rig jobs, and the problem has stopped. I have not had experience with any other brand but Firecom, so I cannot give a good evaluation of their equipment. Hope this helps. Be safe and enjoy.

------------------
    Oh pretty good...

Chops
    Firehouse.com Guest

We've used david clarks on our truck and they work well. We've requested the name "David Clark" in the specs for our new unit. The only problem we had was installation on the dual radio interfaces.
    However, FireCom does make a nice unit too (3010 Series). FYI, if you have a unit with firecom in it and get feedback/humming/etc. or are planning to install yourself, I offer the following tips:
    1. Since the gauge or wire is small in the RJ cable, keep away from Radio Antenna Wires. Run the floor line and up to the headset vs. the roof line if possible.
    2. Make sure the RJ cable is cut to length, not coiling up the excess.

Just my personal opinion

[This message has been edited by Chops (edited 01-17-2001).]

Thread Information