EnjineCaptain
    Firehouse.com Guest

This is not just theory. I have had some experience with the pilot valve spring developing a memory and having to take the truck out of service to have it repaired.
    Furthermore, turning off the PRV does not accomplish the same thing. The tension on the spring is created when you turn the valve handle. Turning off the PRV does not relieve this pressure.

------------------
    I'm glad to hear from any of you.
    EnjineCaptain

"This isn't what we do, it's who we are!"

Prevent Harm, Be Safe, Be Nice - A. Brunancini

FAE767
    Firehouse.com Guest

The relief valve is primarily a safety device. And, as an observer of firefighter behavior, if is not kept in a mode where safety is most likely to be the default effect (ON), it will not be used.

Why have it at all if it is not used? I have seen this to be the case with the PRV many, many times.

Any time more than one line is charged it should be on and set. If it is preset to the most commonly used discharge pressure, it will be there when needed, by default.

Your apparatus needs maintenance, and this item should be no different than any other wear item, like brakes. It will need periodic service, testing, springs, o-rings, screens, etc.

If safety is paramount, preset it, excersize it to keep it from seizing-up, and maintain it! If you don't, no one else will!

------------------
    Whaaatsuuuup?

snowball
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our dept. has an S.O.P. for our handlines set
    at 120 to 140 pounds. Every engineer on morning check-out checks the prv to make sure
    that pressure is correct, thus excersising
    the valve. Due to our budget we do most of our own maintenance and repairs and I personally have not seen a prv develop a memory although spring steel can. We haven't had a problem yet but I probably just jinxed
    myself. snowball out!!

fire127797
    Firehouse.com Guest

The policy on our department is to close the PRV fully the back it off 1 to 2 turns at the end of every pumping operation. If the pressure relief valve becomes stuck for any reason you will still be able to make pressure at the next call. When on scene the PRV is set to the highest discharge pressure, usually the initial attack lines. If the PRV is preset, 160 psi for example, and the valve sticks, ot would be impossible to supply a higher pump pressure if needed.

FireMedic38
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Pressure relief valves are designed to protect those on the nozzle from receiving too much pressure. It is our practice to excersize the relief valve each morning during our engine checks. The valve is then set to the lowest pressure handline which will be used. In our case it is a 2.5" with a smooth bore. We use a pressure of 80 psi. All handlines can be used at this pressure but the valve pressure will need to be increased if a smaller diameter handline is pulled.

Michrehf
    Firehouse.com Guest

After learning, reading and learning more! I have found that the more you require a PO to do under working fire conditions the more likely small issues or often not used issues won't get done. I have adopted a daily check of the spring and working the mechanism. After the check, I place it at 150psi and leave it on.

------------------
    Michael R. Rehfeld
    Firefighter
    Baltimore County, Maryland
    IAFF Local 1311

Jon Strittmatter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

At our dept. We leave the preasure relief set at 150psi and it is 'worked' up and down once a week when equipment checks are done. At the time of an incident, the "engineer of the day*" will set acording to the needs at that time.

note*We don't have a "engineer", everybody on the dept. must know how to run the engine, we never know who is going to show..

9C7
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Ours are set at 150-160 psi. They are checked several times per week.

------------------
    Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. Any similarity to another opinion, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

fireman_387
    Firehouse.com Guest

Just had this discussion in an officers meeting yesterday. An LT doesnt like hearing the pump wind while the guys are setting the relief.

As a consensus we decided that we would leave it to the driver since he is responsible for the truck.

We set ours at 200

Thread Information