medicguy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question which app. to send on medical runs?

Please help me out with some input...
    My station recently aquired a Saulsbury engine/rescue with six man cab. It will carry all hydraulics and heavy rescue. It will respond to all MVA's. We also respond to medical runs with defibrillation. Our brass want the defib, and related equipment to be placed on the engine to respond to medical calls. Our staff at our station would like to run the van that we have with seating for four, to medical calls leaving the engine in service. There is also O2 and first aid equipment on both apparatus.
    We feel that the van is a more appropriate piece of apparatus to send on medical runs (non-rescue).
    I am looking for any input or statistics that may help us out.
    Thank-you

ADSN/WFLD
    Firehouse.com Guest

It depends on how many calls we are talking about. If it's more than a few calls a week I'd go with the van. With the cost of apparatus I don't see much point in running its wheels off driving people around.

If you have the manpower why not put a third man on the medic for calls that sound serious. (man down, trouble breathing etc.)

Dwight Conrad
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

My vote is for the van. In my dept., we run more med's than fires. And we have an old ambulance for a med truck. No sense in running an engine for something like that. Unless you need the extra manpower. Which isn't too likely. Hope this helps.

------------------
    Asst. Chief Dwight Conrad
    Posey Twp. Fire Dept.
    Training Division

JJordan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Run the van with two personnel, as a squad, for general med calls. Run the engine for traffic accidents, industrial med calls, etc.

------------------
    *THE ABOVE TEXT IS THE OPINION OF THE WRITER AND NOT THAT OF ANY FIRE DEPT. OR ASSOCIATED ENTITY.*

NUMBY
    Firehouse.com Guest

I hate to be the one with a difference of opinion, butI would use the engine. The only reason being, what if you get out on the medical run and on the way back to the firehouse you get dispatched for a working fire or on the way back you happen to drive up on an accident with entrapment. Where I work we take the engine out for everything, just want to be prepared for anything.

------------------
    Anything i say in the forums is my opinion and does not reflect my department or any organization i belong to.

FireFJayT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Keep the Engine maximum staffed. It is bought to go on calls. Send it.

------------------
    "No matter what rank I have attained, I am, at heart, a Firefighter First"

sgfd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Here is my input. If the brass says the engine goes then the engine goes. If the community spent XXX amount of dollars to buy the equipment, in this case an engine, then use it. It does more harm to any apparatus if it just sits in the garage and isn't taken out and driven. The most important point which has already been made, what if a call comes in for a fire or a wreck. All it takes is one life saved and that makes it worth while.

LHS*
    Firehouse.com Guest

An ambulance.

spotthedalmation
    Firehouse.com Guest

Use the Big Red Truck. No reason to leave it sit there. From experience, people aren't as likely to get out of the way for a van as for a BRT w/a Q. Also, getting toned out again from the Med Run and needing to make a trip to the station for other equipment is much like trying to run with your pants at your ankles. It ain't effective, and it looks stupid.

TM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We send our Paramedic Rescue Squad and which ever Engine Company is avialble whether it is E-101, E-102 or E-201. We try to keep 102's in there area becasue Southern Monrovia seems to need 911 the most it tskes 101's the area of Northern Monrovia longer to get to the southern area

------------------
    Tim Macias
    TMacias@Firehousemail.com
    Engine 101

Capt68
    Firehouse.com Guest

Send the Engine, hold the Squad. Use it other wise you could end up sitiing there all day and not turn a wheel. But when you get in that squad your sure to get a working fire.

csgos
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Our fire department presently has all engines and trucks as BLS, with four of our engines ALS. We have rescues spread out over the area. Our protocol calls for the closest engine and resuce.

Two of our fire stations are contract fire stations. Due to the contracts, these engines operate ALS. These companies do not get a rescue unit, except on MVA's

As for your situation, not enough information is provided for me to form an opinion. I will say this: would it not be wise to have EMS equipment on the engine also? There is such a thing as simultaneous
    calls (two different calls at one time).

Think about it

SBrooks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Don't know your staffing. If you'd have to go out of service (less than four ff to stay back on the engine) you've got to take the engine. Think about it...you've got a useless engine sitting at the station for twice the time if you take your staffing on the van. If you have 6 guys to ride the engine, send 2 of them on the van, leave 4 at the station.

FD111
    Firehouse.com Guest

My vote goes to the van. In our department we use a 3/4 ton p/u with AED and BLS equipment. All the engines are outfitted the same way in case there is a second call. The medical truck responds with 1 ff, the engine will stay at the station with a minimum of 2 ff's. This keeps the engine in service for that possible working fire and keeps the wear and tear off of it as well. We do have the option to respond with the engine if the call sounds like there is a need for additional manpower.

RDWFIRE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Good topic medicguy.....in our department an ambulance and the closest engine go to most medical calls. The engine can usually break away for fire calls. If they can't, the next-in engine is only a few minutes away.

"Run the call you have, not the one you might have".... Spoken by a chief I used to work with.

Be safe. The dragon lurks!!!

[This message has been edited by RDWFIRE (edited 11-28-2000).]

Captain Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

On medical emergencies, we run the Rescue in District 1, and the Engines in Districts 2 and 3. Each Engine and Ladder carries a medical bag, so in a pinch we can also roll a Ladder to a medical if we had to (and I have done it in the past!)

The Rescue and the engines in the outstations carry the defibrillators. There is a group raising funds to purchase additional defibrillators for the PD and the FD, so in the future we will have even more defib capabilities.

------------------
    Firefighters: Today's heroes protecting our tomorrows....
    Captain Gonzo

[This message has been edited by Captain Gonzo (edited 11-28-2000).]

FDMichiganMan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well, the Dapartment in my hometown has 3 full-time FF with the rest paid call. When they get a medical, I have seen them take the ambulance and the quint.

I am not a FF, and these are just my observations.

Eric

FFMiff3
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Take the engine first with it already staffed you are ready for anything to happen while your out. Keep the van for a secondary piece in case the engine is needed elsewhere.

Thread Information