Capt68
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Smooth or adjustable on your ladder pipe

Okay for all you truck chauffers. What kind of tip do you guys run with out of your station on your ladder pipe. I prefer the smooth bore but everyone else changes it back to the adjustable. Just for further I know you can easily change them out .. I'm just curious which one you guys leave on most often ... Ryan

------------------
    62 Engine 67 Truck ... The Pride of the West Side

morriss
    Firehouse.com Guest

Several years ago we left the adjustable nozzle on the ladder pipe. The next several calls that we used the pipe required us to switch to smooth bore due to distance, wind, etc. So now we have the smooth bore as the normal tip. This appears to have been the best choice. I can only remember changing it oncew and that was to wye off for a flying standpipe at an apartment building.

Rescue 21
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our Tower has one of each, and the Quints both have adjustable fog tips.

ac52
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our 75'LTI(soon to be:ALF Aerial Division)mid mount Tower Ladder has two guns in the bucket. One has an Akromatic 2000 (500 - 1500 gpm) nozzle which is remote control from up top or below at the turntable. The other is a smooth bore with 2" and 2.25 tips.
    We also carry tips down to 1.50" in the basket. The weapon of choice is the smooth bore.

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

the only nozzle that SHOULD be on a tip: SMOOTHBORE!!

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

HAMMER14
    Firehouse.com Guest

The SMOOTH BORE!!

I was on a fire with the Engine and was putting a hell of a knock on the fire with a smooth bore on the deck gun. The Tower that was next to me, with an adjustable nozzle, well it was putting more water on me than the fire!!!

Good Luck!

FireMedic38
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our tower has 2 guns on the platform. We keep it set up with one adjustable and one smooth bore. The adjustable is remote control and can be operated from the platform or turntable. Their is a second smooth bore nozzle in the basket to switch with the automatic. I agree with you a smooth bore is usually more effective. The only reason we keep the remote adjustable on the second gun is in case of a situation we dont want to put anyone in the platform.

SFD-129-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smooth bore. It lets us use our water supply a little more effectively. but the adjustable is close at hand.

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

What is an "adjustable"?? Is it that thing waaaay in the back of the compartment that has dust all over it????

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

F52 Westside
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Our Ladder 3 has the "Smooth bore" and Tower 2 has one of each.

------------------
    Eddie C. - a.k.a - PTFD21
    Local 3008
    "Doin' it for lives n' property"

bfdzeke
    Firehouse.com Guest

The department I work for has a remote controlled adjustable fog tip on our 55' quint, it works quite well due to low manpower situations. A smooth bore tip does not give you many options when it comes to stream selection. Though smooth bore tips get you more reach and knock down power in some situations, I personally feel more comfortable knowing I have the ability to change the stream when it is neccessary, without having to climb to the tip and risk unneccessary equipment damage or crew injury. Like I said, just an opinion. Be safe and enjoy.

------------------
    Oh pretty good...

LHS*
    Firehouse.com Guest

Dang this is the 21 century, you should own both, shouldn't be a choice of one or another.

Thread Information