Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    hippieford
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Making a big purchase (SQUAD)

We are a small Volunteer Fire, EMS department in a rural area with 30 minute transport time.
    We are currently replacing our EMS Squad. Our squad is a 87 Ford F-350 Med Tech. It is 13 years old, with 54000 miles. We try to get 15 years out of a squad.
    We are looking at E-450, International and Freightliner. We are looking for comments from departments like ours who have went from fords to the International or Freightliner Chaise. Was it worth 9000 to 15000 more.
    Have you had any problems with any of the three. What would you change?
    Thank you for your comments and keep the sunny side up!

TM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Can't help you with what your looking for but I think that my Department adn your FD operate the same style of Paramedic service we run the same style as does LA County, We have three Squads one is a ford and in service the other also a ford is a reserve and Squad 102 is a Hackney Rescue on a Frieghttliner chassis

------------------
    Tim Macias
    TMacias@Firehousemail.com
    Engine 101

hippieford
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Thanks for your reply!
    I guess I should explain the information I am looking for. Our squads rear suspension has broken down over the years from riding over crooked, uneven rural roads.
    My feeling on the subject is that the truck chaises would be a little stiffer and last alot longer.
    I am looking for information or personal experiences to take to our committee.
    Thank you for all replies.
    And to all be safe.

ArmyTruckCompany
    Firehouse.com Guest

The City of Philadelphia (known for notoriously bad roads) went to the "big" trucks a few years back with the purchase of FL-60 Freightliner chassis. The people assigned to them were cursing the designers and purchasing department- Too big, too wide. And I dont know if it was the "stiffness", but the Freightliners just could not hold up.
    They went back to E-series Fords with the last purchased, and also bought two F-450 chassis with 4wd for evaluation purposes.

------------------
    "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

hippieford
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Thank you for your reply.
    This is the kind of feedback I am looking for. I work at Freightliner and I am not impressed with there chaise. Too much plastic in the cab. Have you guys expecienced any problems with the engine in the Ford van style cabs?
    All replies greatly appreciated.
    Heads up!!!

TM
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Try Hackney Rescue Trucks. We have two Squds that are fords and our second one Squad 102 is a hackney Rescue whihc we also use as our USAR Truck, The Hackney's are pretty good our Chief is vwry happy eith it, Hardly ever breaks down the last mehcanical probelm we had was in May. It's a good strong truck. Plenty of cargo space, A Hackney is what you need

------------------
    Tim Macias
    TMacias@Firehousemail.com
    Engine 101

Thread Information