Thomas
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Chauffer training

What types of Chauffeur training programs have you found effective? I realize that "hands on" is the best, but I am curious to see what other Dept's are doing to make sure their chauffeurs are capable/competent.

[This message has been edited by Thomas (edited 12-29-2000).]

firecat1524
    Firehouse.com Guest

We require all our drivers to be certified in the following SCFA courses: Emergency Vehicle Drivers Training, Pump Operations, and Mobile Water Supply. We also require anyone driving the pumper or tanker to have a SC Class E DL, and be cleared by the County to operate it's equipment. After they complete the required classes, they must show either the paid FF, paid Engineer, or paid Chief that they are capable of driving and operating the apparatus, and that they are familiar with where equipment is on the apparatus. Then on their 1st emergency response must have a certified and cleared driver riding with them to evaluate their performance. This is required for each piece of apparatus, with exceptions being if they transferred from another County station with the same style truck, or County EMS employees who volunteer are automatically cleared on our Rescue.

firehat87
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Our Engineers go through a four hour course on emergency driving, must obtain a Class B Exempt license, and have a working knowledge of pump operations. We allow non-Engineers to drive the trucks and operate pumps, but that's because we are volunteers and never know who we're getting, but usually the only difference is the Class B. In Texas you don't need that for emergency runs anyway, it's just a nice liability thing.

------------------
    In Omnia Paratus

flash32
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my dept. we have everyone go through a Driver/Operator class, once a week for 6 weeks, 2 weeknights and a sat, for the driver part, and the same for the operator part. During the driver part we learn how the truck operates , and fuctions. During the operator part, we learn how to pump with it in all the different scenarios that we face. On the first sat, we drive an obstical course; backing up around traffic cones, pulling up as close to the cone with out touching it,etc. And the second sat is when we go with our truck and go and pump. We like to have every one in the dept do this. We have people that are just first responder on the dept and they are onl;y required to take the first part, since they are not firefighters. this is offered through our local training program. this course is held at the fire station. We do not require anyone to have any other type of licience other than their normal DL.

Flash 32

osolofd17
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I am looking for what kind of text material the instructors would use to teach an operator course. I would like to become certified as an EVOC instructor for fire- trucks. If any one has any ideas I would love to hear from you.

Osolofd17

oz10engine
    Firehouse.com Guest

It's very obvious that driver trainees need to know how to drive and operate the piece, but do they know their area and do they know positoning. Driving and operating is a big thing, but what if they go the wrong way or take a wrong turn or position the apparatus poorly. They may have delayed your response or just taken you out of the game. Knowing where you are going and how to position IS THE DRIVERS RESPONSIBILITY not the officers. In my department the driver trainees first have to pass a test of the area they cover before starting to drive or operate.

Thread Information