Davidjb
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Freightliner FL70 Auto tranny problem?

We have a '94 Central States Freightliner 5 man cab with an automatic tranny with the electronic pushbutton control. Over the last year or so the tranny seems to have developed a mind of it's own. On occasion it will get stuck in gear or in neutral with no known way to get it out. Just last week, after a partition fire, I hit the neutral button, watched the speedometer drop to zero, as I was talking to an officer that approached I disengaged the pump (air valve) and got the nasty grinding noise, I look at the tranny indicator and it was back in gear!
    About a month before that I arrived at the scene of a grass fire that was advancing toward a house, stopped the truck, put it in neutral, engaged the pump, and hit the tranny control to put it into drive and..nothing, it was stuck in neutral! Took about a minute to get it into drive. I know it's not the keypad because it beeps when you hit the buttons, it just doesn't respond sometimes.
    Anyone else seen this behavior?

ENG 6511
    Firehouse.com Guest

davidjb: To get an answer to your problem you are in the right Church but in the wrong pew. Go to www.naevt.org/disc1_tocf.htm. These guys fix them every day. Look at some of the posts.

------------------
    Bob Compton

ENG 6511
    Firehouse.com Guest

[This message has been edited by ENG 6511 (edited 01-25-2001).]

eng1ao
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

at my dept we have one of them piece of ^$#%%#& trucks that you have told about.we have had more trouble with that truck then anyother.we had a similar problem to your ,our truck once you started and hit the drive button would automatically jump into 4th gear and stall the truck out(like you popped the clutch). we called the manufacture up and told them what it was doing. And this is what he told us to do:when you start the truck up make sure its in "N" put in pump mode them take out of pump mode then hit "D" and that should work.........?????? well we told him have a nice day and we call a real mechanic to fix the problem. the next biggest thing that went wrong with it,And I strongly suggest that you inspect your truck because other cites have this same problem.Look under your truck at the supports that hold your tank to the body,they are held by aluminum,well we fond out there were ALOT of stress cracks on the welds and seamers of the tank. look it over carefully and good luck.

FLAME5
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

YA KNOW, I REMEMBER A PROBLEM WITH THE SAME FL70 FREIGHTLINER (E-ONE) AND THE AUTO TRANNY (PUSH BUTTON) WITH OLD DEPT. I ONCE WORKED FOR.
    WE RESPONDED TO A TWO VEHICLE ACCIDENT WITH ONE VEHICLE FULLY INVOLVED (FIRE). THE TRUCKS PUMP WAS IN USE ,TOP MOUNT GENERATOR (LIGHT TOWER) AND THE HURST TOOL WAS BEING USED AT THE SAME TIME (HURST TOOL WAS ELECTRIAL TOO)
    AFTER THE CALL THE TRUCK WENT DEAD ON SCENE. ONCE STARTED UP AGAIN THE LIGHT TOWER COULD NOT BE LOWERED, NONE OF THE LIGHTS WORKED (3:00AM) AND THE TRANSMITION WOULD NOT GO ABOVE THIRD GEAR.
    TROBLEM????????? WHO KNOWS THE NEXT SHIFT IN FOUND THAT IT WORKED OUT FINE????????????
    CHUNK OF CRAP?????? I THINK SO

Thread Information