Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    mike021
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Electronic Fed. Q

Hello, there is a newer Fed Q out on the market that is not the norm... it's electric. Does anyone have one? I do admit that when I first saw and heard about them i thought oh god!! What are they doing to the Fed Q!!?!?!?!? But a rep came to our station and gave a demo, and I'm not sure but i think it's louder then a real Fed Q!! I was shocked! Now I like them. Anyone use them?? Do you like or dislike?

------------------
    This is your brain... Pierce
    This is your Brain on drugs..... E-One
    http://www.nfco1.freeservers.com

Davidjb
    Firehouse.com Guest

Could you clarify? The Q was always electric.
    do you mean electronic maybe? If that's the case I haven't heard one (didn't know it existed) but it sounds intriging, you sure it's louder than the machanical version?

tlfd600
    Firehouse.com Guest

The Q2 is not electromechanical. It uses a signal procesesor like a typical siren made from Code 3, Whellen or SVP. It uses one 200 watt speaker. Personally I have not heard it but have seen it advertised, also the only mounting option is Flush I believe. It supposedly can do the regular Q sound plus switch over and do yelp.

mike021
    Firehouse.com Guest

The siren demo they brought is a digital recording of a regular Fed-Q. It is reproduced somehow and saved on a chip. It has the floor peddle, a brake and all. It does the yelping and airhorn. I was totally against it until I heard the guys do the demo at the regular volume. I, as well as all the other people there swear it was louder then a regular one. The mounts are flush in the bumper. I beleive you can buy the regular looking one but we went with the laser cut flush mount speakers. But the only complaint I have is that the airhorn isn't all that great sounding and we stuck with a pair of Grovers. The siren is actually pretty impressive.

------------------

USAR29
    Firehouse.com Guest

If I am not mistaken, the electronic Q is marketed as the E-Q2B.

This certainly addresses the massive amp draw of its predecessors... I'll have to see/hear one before I am sold on the concept, but from what I have heard from people who have tried them, you really can't tell the difference...

DD
    Firehouse.com Guest

The one on display at the FDIC looked like a fender mounted Q2B. I'm not sure that it was full size, but close anyway. The sound must be a recording of a real Q. They had it on idle (very low volume) in the Convention Center. I would like to hear it at wide open volume. The low amp draw would be a blessing for some 12 volt electrical systems that are almost overloaded when a real Q kicks in.

M G
    Firehouse.com Guest

http://www.fedsig.com/fire/fire/prod...ren/e-Q2B.html

------------------
    The information presented herein is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

mike021
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

YEs it is marketed as the E-Q2B. The one thing, other then the realistic sound, that sold us on it is the major reduction in AMP that it draws. I'm not exactly sure as to how the sound is reproduced but it's supposed to never ever get scratchey, or sound crappy after awhile. It's pretty neat, anyone looking at a new truck should ask Federal for a demo.

------------------

RJE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Recording experts have known for years how to "synthesize" a sound, through electronics, and how to "sample" a sound a reproduce it. The two are not the same, however. Synth sounds don't carry all the harmonics of complex sounds, like violins, or mechanical devices, like diesel engines or Q2Bs, so they don't sound right.

But if you sample, you get a short recording of the ACTUAL device, then use various techniques (loops, speed up/down, etc.) to make a continuous noise out of a short sample. Because it's created off the original, it can be made to sound exactly like the original. It can also be made to do things the original could never do!

Once you accomplish that, the only thing left is volume. I remember 110dB electronics, and seeing >120dB ratings on Fed Q's. (I seem to remember 128 on one, but not sure). So an electronic could be re-amped to a higher output, and with better speakers (which would make it cost more) to be as loud as a Q, but it would still sound like a synthed electronic. But put that 130dB output amp/speaker on a "sampled" source, with the sample from the original Q, and you shouldn't be able to tell it from a Q.

Cool. This tech stuff really does work

Davidjb
    Firehouse.com Guest

Very interesting, anyone know the price of one of these? Cheaper or more expensive than it's current sucking counterpart?

------------------
    David Brooks,
    Lieutenant, NRFR
    Newmarket Fire & Rescue
    Newmarket, New Hampshire
    www.NewmarketNH.com/fire
    (All opinions are my own)

mike021
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are getting it on our new engine, and I'm not sure of the price but I'm sure they are more expensive then the Q2B. It has some computer components and speakers that go with it. I could not imagine it being cheaper.

------------------

raricciuti
    Firehouse.com Guest

We just spec'ed E-Q2B's on two new engines. Saw them at the FDIC last year. Just as loud as the mechanical version, max 30 amp draw, plus PA, yelp, and an automatic up-n-down. Cost (list price) was about the same as a mechanical Q + an electronic (not cheap, but very effective!). You can get them with a flush speaker, or a grille that looks exactly the same as a mechanical Q.

------------------
    R.A. Ricciuti, Firefighter
    Mt. Lebanon Fire Department
    www.mtlfd.org

nomad1085
    Firehouse.com Guest

Whelen has also made a version of this, but with even more bells and whistles (Literally). It is called the X-Ecutor. Depending on what model you get, it can do:

-Mechanical Siren w/ a "brake",
    -Wail, Yelp, Piercer, HiLo, manual
    -2 different air horn tones
    -And even a Ringing Bell (Like on the old trucks).

There is a really sharp looking speaker for this siren and it sounds REALLY GOOD! It is extremely loud and draws a lot less current than a standard Federal Q. Now, I still love the Fed Q siren, but if you want to have both, you can just buy this instead of a Q and an electronic. www.whelen.com for more info.

Matt

Thread Information