Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    jpfaff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Question for quint drivers

My department is looking at replacing our engines with 75'quints. I need any information, good or bad about running quints frontline. What do you do? how does it work for your community? we have 4 stations and serve about 70,000. Is the "quint" the best answer?

oz10engine
    Firehouse.com Guest

The place I work at part-time has a 50' telesquirt and they are replacing it with a 75' quint and I am opposed to both. These things are a little bit of this and a little bit of that, and it cuts the complement of engine/ladder stuff in half. The hose bed is comprimised due to the turntable and the number of crosslays had to be reduced to fit the generator and cord reel , and what's gonna go into the limited compartment space. And then there's training, you have to train people on aerial ops and truck company ops if they haven't had the training before. I think as far as apparatus goes let the engine do engine stuff and the ladder do ladder stuff, don't mix'em. That keeps it simple. I think this Quint thing is just a FAD.

Joey
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department recently replaced a 100 ft ladder truck and a 50 ft telesquirt with a 75 ft quint. The 75 ft quint does not have the reach and we also lost supply hose capacity do to the ladder. The plan now is to buy at least a 100 ft quint and another 75 ft quint in the next 5-10 years. We are a small department with three engines and one ladder. After the new trucks are purchased the department will have two 75 ft quints and 100 ft quint in for 3 stations. We will see how it play out. I can see both pros. and cons . to an all quint system for small departments.
    Large fire it will be nice to have 3 water towers in operation, but it is a lot of money for a fires do not happen very often in our community.
    Good-luck!!!

britter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

In 1995 our dept changed to the Quint concept. We purchased (2) 75 LTI full service aerials and only run 1 true Engine. The trucks run on a single rear axil. They are heavy, big, and fast. Our Quints average over 150 calls per month. http://www.dfwfire.com/images/lancq353_1024.jpg

The purchase of the Quints will totally change the operation of your dept. Its up to you whether or not its for the good or bad. I recommend that once the decision is made your organization commits itself to adapting to the new operation.

When switching to the Quint theory of operation you have to change you mindset. You are not an Engine company any longer. I think that for the first two years we refused to acknowledge that there was even an aerial on top of the truck. But after a few combination attack success stories everyone got on board with the Quint concept and learned new ways of utilizing it to its full ability.

I believe Quints have a place in every dept. If you asked me 5 years ago I would have told that Quints suck and are worthless. But, once you realize it's in your apparatus bay its not going away so you better figure out to make it work.

Maintenance wise the trucks have been ok. Initially we had many problems but no different than any other new custom apparatus. They have a pretty good track record of staying in service.

As a driver of a Quint I am in support of them.

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by britter (edited 04-12-2001).]

Quint1Medic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Look in this month's Fire Engineering, where you will find an article about quints, written by a member of this very Forum...

Thread Information