UB355
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post How would you set up this water supply hose lay.

How would you set up this water supply hose lay .

Chief says.......

5" LDH to portable hydrant. 5" LDH from portable hydrant to lead engine 1500 gpm pump, then 4 10 Foot 3" lines from the portable hydrant to a manifold then 5" LDH from the manifold to our quint 2000 gpm pump.

He says in case the engine breaks down water will still be available to quint.

I say

5" LDH to portable hydrant. 5" LDH from portable hydrant to lead engine 1500 gpm pump, then 5" LDH from engine discharge directly to quint 2000 gpm pump..

I say with limited water supply, sometimes only a tanker shuttle, the MPO of the engine feeding hand lines to interior fire crews should have primary control of water supply. I also say that manifold and 3" lines are a tripping hazzard.

Any comments ? Looking for arguments.

ONTFF
    Firehouse.com Guest

let your imagination run wild,however i would keep it as simple as possible, you mentioned tanker shuttle and limited water, so why don't you 1)set up a drop tank site with the engine here to pump water to the scene so your quint can use whatever aerial device it has to full advantage 2)pump it through your 5" to a manifold with 5" into the quint 3)use the extra discharges on the manifold for whatever else you may need 4) use the handlines off the quint for interior attacks since the engine is farther away now OR if you have an engine supplying water to an engine and quint then you can Y a 5" line one to each unit (gated y's are available) all of this is dependant on your supply, FL, etc etc, just be creative and find something that works, and talk to as many other departments as possible, also talk to guys like BIG PAULIE and LHS everyone doesn't always agree with them on here but they are very knowledgeable, GOOD LUCK

jpchev
    Firehouse.com Guest

How about the 5" LDH directly into the 2000 gpm quint because it is the largest volume user (master stream) then 5" from quint to 1500 pumper for hand line use. Much simpler than all that other hose and appliances which will take manpower and time (something we usually lack in the beginning of an incedent) and could easily be connected wrong. If 1st pumper in hose line breaks down, not real common but could happen, water will still flow thru pump to next truck.(with some loss due to pump but not too much). Maybe a good idea to try it out at a training sometime. If water is scarce you probably not going to operate handlines and master stream together anyway, certainly not on the same building at the same time of course. Just my opinion, John

eyecue
    Firehouse.com Guest

You always need to put the biggest pump closest to the water if you are relaying to another truck. You dont want to limit the last engine in line to pump capacity of the first unit.

148champ
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey!! How about just skipping the manifold/portable hydrant theory and the associated smaller lines!!! Just pump the LDH directly into the quint and go from there! the quint can also supply a line to the other engine on scene. Remember to keep it simple as far as set up and you'll do just fine with needed flow without all the extra paraphenalia which requires more manpower to set up and only delays fire attack in lots of cases.
    If you're on a good hydrant, don't be afraid to lay dual 5' lines to the scene from this one single source! Works much better than any hydrant valve in the world - try it sometime on a training night. Just because a pumper is 1500 GPM or whatever the capacity doesn't mean you can't flow double the amount of water thru it!!!
    We've flowed 3100 GPM from a 1500 GPM pumper already just by doubling up on hose layout during the evolution and allowing use of all available water supply!!! Try it soon and quiet the skeptics!! It really works!!

MembersZone Subscriber

OK I SAW MENTION OF TANKER SHUTTLE GREAT IDEA USE IT TO SUPPLY YOUR ATTACK ENGINE {1500 GPM PUMP} WITH 5 LDH AND TWO DUMP TANKS OR THREE IF YOU HAVE THEM. NOW I HAVE A QUESTION HOW FAR ARE YOU FROM A STATIC WATER SOURCE? LETS SAY YOU ARE 200 FEET AWAY. SO LETS SET UP 2 TURBODRAFTS OFF A SECOND ENG {1500 GPM PUMP} TO YOUR STATIC WATER SOURCE TO SUPPLY YOUR QUINT 200 FEET AWAY FROM YOUR ENG AT 1500 GPM WITH 5 LDH CHANCES ARE YOU ARE NOT GOING TO HAVE THE RIGHT TIP ON ANYWAY SO YOU WONT NEED BUT ABOUT 1000 GPMS ANYWAY.

NOW YOU COULD SWAP THE TRUCKS AROUND AND SUPPLY THE QUINT WITH A TANKER SHUTTLE AND THE ATTACK ENG WITH TURBODRAFTS.

HOW EVER LETS BE REALISTIC IF YOU ARE FLOWING 1500 GPM WITH A LADDER TIP YOU ARE ALREADY DEFISIVE AND NO NEED FOR INTERIOR ATTACK.

NEED WATER JUST CALL.

MembersZone Subscriber

Seems like alot of work! What is your water supply? Is there an engine on the hydrant? How long is the lay? What is the required flow for the fire building? All these things need to be considered. If you are going to be in an operation where you require master streams and big hand lines, Id lay 2 5 inch lines from different hydrants. My bet is the quint doesn't get anything close to its capacity with that set up. 2 appliances and the 4 3 inch lines should just about kill what remains from the engine. If I didn't need the volume of 2 5's, I think I'd lay to the engine and pull all the lines from it and let the quint work as a truck or I'd use a big discharge and supply the quint from a pumper discharge and skip all that other madness.

Thread Information